Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-22-2009, 06:38 PM   #211
joanie
joanie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle V. 1
Question Problem Installing Mobi2Mobi

I apologize if this is not in the correct place, but I'm not very familiar with the forum here.

I have, in the past, successfully installed (thanks to the Visual Guide) and used Mobi2Mobi on my Mac running Leopard, but I must have accidentally deleted something during spring computer cleaning.

I am getting hung up in CPAN (and I'm no coder, so I have no idea what that even means) and get the following messages:

cpan> install Bundle::CPAN
CPAN: Storable loaded ok
Going to read /Users/Joanie/.cpan/Metadata
Database was generated on Sun, 24 May 2009 05:26:52 GMT
Warning: Cannot install Bundle::CPAN, don't know what it is.
Try the command

i /Bundle::CPAN/

to find objects with matching identifiers.

cpan> sudo perl -MCPAN -e shell
Unknown command 'sudo'. Type ? for help.

cpan> install Palm::PDB
Warning: Cannot install Palm::PDB, don't know what it is.
Try the command

i /Palm::PDB/

to find objects with matching identifiers.

Anyone have any ideas on what I'm missing/doing wrong/can do to fix this?

Much appreciated,

Joanie
joanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #212
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Your post probably belongs in the Mobiperl thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17718.

If you are running the cpan command, you already have the CPAN module installed. You cannot run the cpan command again from inside the cpan shell. Did you try the command "i /Palm::PDB/" as instructed (from the cpan shell)? After you try that, try asking about this stuff on the Mobiperl thread. Maybe a Mac person can help you there.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:49 PM   #213
joanie
joanie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle V. 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Your post probably belongs in the Mobiperl thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17718.

If you are running the cpan command, you already have the CPAN module installed. You cannot run the cpan command again from inside the cpan shell. Did you try the command "i /Palm::PDB/" as instructed (from the cpan shell)? After you try that, try asking about this stuff on the Mobiperl thread. Maybe a Mac person can help you there.
Tried that, thanks.

Will repost in the Mobiperl thread.
joanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #214
chip
chip began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi I also posted over in Kindle Troubleshooting. I hope this is okay, but my problem is with mobi2mobi installation. I'm on a mac running 10.6.1 and I've had trouble with installation of a couple of components. First, two things I notice and what I did about them:

1. In the jpeg lib install, the instructions say:
Now to make the library itself.
export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.5
(use 10.4 if you have Tiger.)

So, I did:
export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.6
I have since redone it with ..._TARGET=10.5, but nothing has changed.

2. The other thing I noticed and failed to remember last night was that /usr/share/libtool/ no longer contains config.sub. Rather, there it is in /usr/share/libtool/config/ ...I used the latter, rather than moving config.sub into the higher directory. I wonder if that causes a pointer problem?

The error message that I get when I try to run ./mobi2mobi bookname.azw (which I do inside of the ~/eBook/tools/ directory that I made according to the instructions as the links somehow did not take in the sequential ln -s commands. I put bookname.azw into ~/eBook/tools/) is:

[chipg5s-Computer-2...\ tools]$ ./mobi2mobi Parallel\ Worlds\ A\ Journey\ Throug-asin_B000GCFCL4-type_EBOK-v_0.azw
Can't locate GD.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /Users/chipg5/eBooks/tools /Library/Perl/Updates/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/Updates/5.10.0 /System/Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.10.0 /Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.10.0 /Network/Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.10.0 /Network/Library/Perl /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.10.0 .) at /Users/chipg5/eBooks/tools/MobiPerl/Util.pm line 23.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /Users/chipg5/eBooks/tools/MobiPerl/Util.pm line 23.
Compilation failed in require at ./mobi2mobi line 54.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./mobi2mobi line 54.

And, indeed when I go back and look at the transcript from the first install attempt (I did it a second time and I have that transcript below) is:

cpan[3]> install GD
Running install for module 'GD'
Running make for L/LD/LDS/GD-2.44.tar.gz
Fetching with LWP:
ftp://cpan-du.viaverio.com/pub/CPAN/...GD-2.44.tar.gz
Fetching with LWP:
ftp://cpan-du.viaverio.com/pub/CPAN/.../LDS/CHECKSUMS
Checksum for /Users/chipg5/.cpan/sources/authors/id/L/LD/LDS/GD-2.44.tar.gz ok
Will not use Archive::Tar, need 1.00
GD-2.44/
GD-2.44/t/
GD-2.44/t/test.out.3.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/GD.t
GD-2.44/t/tile.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/test.out.4.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/test.out.5.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/test.out.6.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/test.out.7.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/test.out.9.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/test.out.3.png-1
GD-2.44/t/Polyline.t
GD-2.44/t/test.out.4.png-1
GD-2.44/t/test.out.4.png-2
GD-2.44/t/test.out.10.png-1
GD-2.44/t/test.out.10.png-2
GD-2.44/t/test.out.10.png-3
GD-2.44/t/test.out.1.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.2.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.2.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.3.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.3.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.4.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.4.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.5.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.5.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.6.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.6.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.7.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.7.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.9.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.9.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.5.png-1
GD-2.44/t/Generic.ttf
GD-2.44/t/test.out.6.png-1
GD-2.44/t/test.out.7.png-1
GD-2.44/t/frog.jpg
GD-2.44/t/frog.xpm
GD-2.44/t/test.out.10.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.png-1
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.png-2
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.png-3
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.png-4
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.png-5
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.png-6
GD-2.44/t/tile.gif
GD-2.44/t/tile.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.2.png-1
GD-2.44/t/test.out.9.png-1
GD-2.44/t/test.out.9.png-2
GD-2.44/t/palettemap.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.10.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.10.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.2.jpeg
GD-2.44/GD/
GD-2.44/GD/Group.pm
GD-2.44/GD/Polygon.pm
GD-2.44/GD/Simple.pm
GD-2.44/GD/Image.pm.PLS
GD-2.44/GD/Polyline.pm
GD-2.44/GD.pm
GD-2.44/GD.xs
GD-2.44/demos/
GD-2.44/demos/brushes.pl
GD-2.44/demos/font_list.png
GD-2.44/demos/fonttest
GD-2.44/demos/polys.pl
GD-2.44/demos/fills.pl
GD-2.44/demos/truetype_test
GD-2.44/demos/shapes.pl
GD-2.44/demos/copies.pl
GD-2.44/demos/ttf.pl
GD-2.44/demos/gd_example.cgi
GD-2.44/demos/tile.png
GD-2.44/demos/polyline.pl
GD-2.44/demos/transform.pl
GD-2.44/qd.pl
GD-2.44/README
GD-2.44/Makefile.PL
GD-2.44/README.QUICKDRAW
GD-2.44/META.yml
GD-2.44/typemap
GD-2.44/bdf_scripts/
GD-2.44/bdf_scripts/README
GD-2.44/bdf_scripts/bdf2gdfont.PLS
GD-2.44/bdf_scripts/bdftogd
GD-2.44/bdf_scripts/bdf2gdfont.pl
GD-2.44/README.unix
GD-2.44/ChangeLog
GD-2.44/MANIFEST

CPAN.pm: Going to build L/LD/LDS/GD-2.44.tar.gz

Notice: Type perl Makefile.PL -h for command-line option summary.

**UNRECOVERABLE ERROR**
Could not find gdlib-config in the search path. Please install libgd 2.0.28 or higher.
If you want to try to compile anyway, please rerun this script with the option --ignore_missing_gd.
Warning: No success on command[/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL]
LDS/GD-2.44.tar.gz
/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL -- NOT OK
Running make test
Make had some problems, won't test
Running make install
Make had some problems, won't install
Failed during this command:
LDS/GD-2.44.tar.gz : writemakefile NO '/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL' returned status 512

Obvously, that's an issue. I redid the ..._TARGET=10.5 and went back to the GD install and got:

[chipg5s-Computer-2...\ gd-2.0.35]$ sudo perl -MCPAN -e shell

cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.9402)
Enter 'h' for help.
cpan[2]> install Palm::PDB
Palm::PDB is up to date (1.011).

cpan[3]> install XML::Parser::Lite::Tree
XML::Parser::Lite::Tree is up to date (0.12).

cpan[4]> install GD
Running install for module 'GD'
Running make for L/LD/LDS/GD-2.44.tar.gz
Has already been unwrapped into directory /Users/chipg5/.cpan/build/GD-2.44-ea1oc2
'/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL' returned status 512, won't make
Running make test
Make had some problems, won't test
Running make install
Make had some problems, won't install

again, obviously a problem.

Any ideas?

thanks.
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:12 PM   #215
chip
chip began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Sorry. Have I got the wrong forum to debug a mobi2mobi installation? I *think* there's a directory mismatch as documented above.

thanks.
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #216
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
Sorry. Have I got the wrong forum to debug a mobi2mobi installation? I *think* there's a directory mismatch as documented above.

thanks.
No, this is a good place. You just have to wait for a Mac person to see your post (I'm a PC person and can't help you ).

While you're waiting have you given Calibre a try for your Mobi2Mobi metadata needs?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #217
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
It looks like all the PID info has been deleted from the Wiki. Has this been posted anywhere else? I thought I just had to download mobipocket reader, hook up my Kindle and go to the about screen in Mobipocket reader to get the PID. Is that incorrect?

Thanks.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:09 PM   #218
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookfanmd View Post
I thought I just had to download mobipocket reader, hook up my Kindle and go to the about screen in Mobipocket reader to get the PID.
This worked using MobiPocket Reader 6.0, but not the latest version 6.2.

The usual way to get the PID is to use kindlepid, which is still available from Igor's original blog posting (not at MobileRead).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #219
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookfanmd View Post
It looks like all the PID info has been deleted from the Wiki. Has this been posted anywhere else? I thought I just had to download mobipocket reader, hook up my Kindle and go to the about screen in Mobipocket reader to get the PID. Is that incorrect?

Thanks.
Amazon required us to remove the information. Yes you can get your PID through Mobipocket Reader if you're on a Windows machine. It doesn't work for people using Macs.

Knowing how to get your PID via the command line sets you up and gets you comfortable enough to be able to do other things with content for your Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #220
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
Thanks Daffy4u and Wallcraft. Is it possible to get that part of the guide anywhere? Please PM if necessary. I'm not very comfortable using command lines but I'd like to expand my Kindle's horizons.

Thanks.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:26 PM   #221
b17ssntazman
b17ssntazman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I've got an .azw1 file that mobi2mobi doesn't seem to be able to handle. any ideas?
b17ssntazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:29 PM   #222
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b17ssntazman View Post
I've got an .azw1 file that mobi2mobi doesn't seem to be able to handle.
Unfortunately, .azw1 indicates a TOPAZ ebook. These are not readable by anything except the Kindle. At least there is now Kindle for PC as an option.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #223
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Hn, can anyone help? I'm pretty certain I installed everything correctly, but when I try to change the title on a certain book, I get this error message.

-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

Only thing I can think of, is when I was moving everything into a tools folder, there was no clit file located in the mobiperl folder.

Thanks in advance.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:53 AM   #224
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
Do the filenames include "("? In any case, try putting the filenames in single quotes.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #225
Clytie
Bookworm
Clytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it is

Device: iPad2
Error installing gd on OSX 10.6.3

G'day

I hope the very helpful people who created the Visual Kindle Guide are still watching this thread. I've read right through the thread, but not found the answer to my problem. (I had the same /usr/share/libtool path issues mentioned in a preceding post, but fixed them the same way, by adding the extra path component.)

Problem: I bought a Kindle (.azw) ebook for my husband, assuming you could read Kindle ebooks on Linux. Oddly enough, you can't. :S

So I wanted to convert it for him. No dice using Calibre ("It is a DRM'd book"). I'm using Kindle on the iPhone and Kindle for Mac: does anyone know how to find the PID on either of those? (I used Kindletools to calculate the PID of my Kindle for iPhone. However, that does not work in conversion: I get an error message saying the PID may be incorrect.)

I followed the Install Mobi2Mobi Mac instructions (using the latest version of jpegsrc). jpeg-8b installed correctly. gd-2.0.36RC1 installed correctly. CPAN had a lovely time packratting code all over my disk. The symlinks were created.

Now I've setup Mobi2Mobi for Mac, how can I use it to access my purchased Kindle book on Linux? I'd be happy to convert it to another format.

This restricted availability makes me very cautious about buying any further books in Kindle format for my family. We're a Mac/Linux household.

Thankyou for any help you can offer. You're welcome to PM me.
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle visual guide, kindlefix, kindlepid, mobi2mobi, mobi2mobi gui