Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 04:28 AM   #1
taglines
Banned
taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Daniel Akst asks what about "Apple's iTablet and the future of literature"?

subhed from the Los Angeles Times: Technology is not the sworn enemy of literature. Still, the collision of technology and literature in this case may well prove explosive.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...,3445923.story
taglines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:48 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Apple won't revolutionize reading. E-readers have already done that.

Tablets should worry netbook manufacturers, not e-readers manufacturers.
It's anoying peaple actiing like e-reading or tablets don't already exists.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:56 AM   #3
taglines
Banned
taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Newest photos here:

http://venturebeat.com/2010/01/27/apple-tablet-photos/

text of blog: "Plenty of fake photos have popped up of Apple’s tablet device, which it’s supposed to be unveiled later this morning. Now Engadget has a new batch of pictures sent from a tipster, which it deems “the most likely suspect” among the photos the public has seen so far.

Well, we’ve heard from a source with inside knowledge that this is the real deal — the fabled tablet. "
taglines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Apple won't revolutionize reading. E-readers have already done that.

Tablets should worry netbook manufacturers, not e-readers manufacturers.
It's anoying peaple actiing like e-reading or tablets don't already exists.
Oh i think they could well play a big part in revolutionising the way we get our ebooks, much like they have done with their App Store for the Iphone. If they could come up with an Ebook Store much like the App Store they could make a huge impact. I certainly wouldn't mind an online store I can go to for all my ebooks, instead of hunting round for my ebooks. If they can do it without Geographical retrictions too then that really would be big i think.
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFK_Matrix View Post
Oh i think they could well play a big part in revolutionising the way we get our ebooks, much like they have done with their App Store for the Iphone. If they could come up with an Ebook Store much like the App Store they could make a huge impact. I certainly wouldn't mind an online store I can go to for all my ebooks, instead of hunting round for my ebooks. If they can do it without Geographical retrictions too then that really would be big i think.
Save the the geo-restriction part, amazon is already doing that, as well as B&N...

And personaly, I love having a choise of shops where to buy my books.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by taglines View Post
subhed from the Los Angeles Times: Technology is not the sworn enemy of literature. Still, the collision of technology and literature in this case may well prove explosive.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...,3445923.story
Well, that was a rather breathless assessment of something we don't even know the details of, yet. I suppose that Apple entering the reader market, if it does, will have an impact on Cool, but it is the smaller and dedicated readers that will continue to have the most impact. At least that's my thought on the matter.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote