Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-15-2012, 05:53 AM   #1
AusTim
AusTim began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Kindle DX 3G Dead

I have a Kindle DX and I think the primary problem is that 3G isn't working. I have been through three levels of support with amazon, now I'm waiting for an Engineer to get in touch with me... I'm wondering if anyone here has any suggestions though, as the support people I spoke to didn't seem particularly knowledgeable (although they were very polite and responsive I'll admit).

The Problem

Primarily 3G seems to be buggered, it seems to try to connect but just gets no connection and turns off again. This means I can't register my kindle (it was registered, but I tried a factory reset).
Last book read and a few other things don't seem to be persisting, although it's possibly because of the 3G issue.

Some things I have tried
  • Restarting the device via Settings > Menu > Restart
  • Restarting the device by holding power for 30 seconds
  • Resetting the device to factory default via Settings > Menu
  • I updated the firmware (to 2.5.8) and tried all of the above
  • 311 from settings: Scans for carriers but then doesn't show a list and goes straight back to the settings screen
  • 411 from settings: The "Radio Serial Number" is blank, "Roaming Version Number" is -1. If I turn 3G on before doing it, then it waits saying "Retrieving data" until 3G goes off again.
  • 611: Says "Sorry – WAN info is not available at this time"
  • I definitely have mobile coverage, I used to be able to access 3G here (and I can from my phone). My problems just started one day and I haven't been able to connect to 3G anywhere since then.

Some pictures
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxZ...Hp0Wk9uMmFxaTQ
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxZ...2pHWWNZWUU3QXM

Any advice would be appreciated, even if it's just comparing your 411 info to mine. I'd like to know if your "Radio Serial Number" appears all the time or just when 3G is on.

I don't mind getting my hands dirty as I think it's probably out of warranty any way so if it's possible that rooting it to get SSH access will help me debug the problem then I'd be open to it.
AusTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTim View Post
I have a Kindle DX and I think the primary problem is that 3G isn't working. ...
Primarily 3G seems to be buggered, it seems to try to connect but just gets no connection and turns off again. This means I can't register my kindle (it was registered, but I tried a factory reset).[*] 311 from settings: Scans for carriers but then doesn't show a list and goes straight back to the settings screen[*] 411 from settings: The "Radio Serial Number" is blank, "Roaming Version Number" is -1. If I turn 3G on before doing it, then it waits saying "Retrieving data" until 3G goes off again.[/LIST]
The 311 screen not finding any carriers says that either you are out of cellphone range, or there is a problem with your 3G hardware. It is possible that the 3G carrier you were using is no longer visible at your location. Perhaps a new building is blocking the signal.

You could try taking it to a different location several miles (or km) away and try 311 again...

Of course, the 411 info would be blank if you had wireless turned off. It IS on, right?

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-15-2012 at 09:08 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
I'm in Cornwall, UK. Over the last couple of days I've lost 3G on my DX, it's defaulting to GPRS, which is slooooow. It could have happened before then - I keep wireless off until I need it. I've been wondering if it's to do with the O2 problems, if you're in the UK, it could be the same issue. If so I imagine that it'll cure itself when O2 fix their problems.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricorn View Post
I'm in Cornwall, UK. Over the last couple of days I've lost 3G on my DX, it's defaulting to GPRS, which is slooooow. It could have happened before then - I keep wireless off until I need it. I've been wondering if it's to do with the O2 problems, if you're in the UK, it could be the same issue. If so I imagine that it'll cure itself when O2 fix their problems.
No. Amazon use Vodafone in the UK, not O2. Possibly a problem with your local Vodafone mast - 3G service does go off from time to time. If it's not restored in a few days, I'd report it to Vodafone.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
It's back now anyway, thanks.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:52 AM   #6
AusTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The 311 screen not finding any carriers says that either you are out of cellphone range, or there is a problem with your 3G hardware.
I definitely am within phone range, I am in a capital city and get strong reception from my mobile.

Quote:
You could try taking it to a different location several miles (or km) away and try 311 again...
I have tried it over 100km away.

Quote:
Of course, the 411 info would be blank if you had wireless turned off. It IS on, right?
Yes, it's on, although as I said, if I turn it on the 411 doesn't appear until 3G has gone off again. Is this default behavior?
Old 07-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
AusTim

Well Amazon has determined that it's faulty, but because it's out of warranty it will cost $150USD to replace... I think I can live without 3G unless I can repair it myself.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:54 AM   #8
baref00t
baref00t began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
No Whispernet on Kindle DX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTim View Post
Well Amazon has determined that it's faulty, but because it's out of warranty it will cost $150USD to replace... I think I can live without 3G unless I can repair it myself.
I have just been through the process this morning with Kindle Support. They stated that because I did not have info for the "Radio Serial Number:", the internal modem is broken and cannot be repaired.

Unfortunately I had performed a "Factory Reset" prior to contacting them which has reset my DX to the default including not being registered which now means I cannot use the "Collections" function locally anymore :-(

I have just ordered a new one which should hopefully be here in a few days.

Am now scouring this site to see if there is any other way to get "Collections" working locally.
baref00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:05 AM   #9
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by baref00t View Post
Am now scouring this site to see if there is any other way to get "Collections" working locally.
There is a way- if you use "Kindle Collections" plugin for Calibre. But you still won't be able to manage collections on the device.
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #10
baref00t
baref00t began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Smile No Whispernet on Kindle DX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroo View Post
There is a way- if you use "Kindle Collections" plugin for Calibre. But you still won't be able to manage collections on the device.
Thanks for the info Vroo https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smilies/smile.gif . I have been getting used to Calibre over the past few days as well so good timing.

During my hunting session today, I actually discovered Kindle Collections and have installed it. I have also now jail-broken my Kindle DX and used a registration hack to locally register it and now the Collections function is once again available.

That being said, I will actually use Calibre (with Kindle Collections)to control the content on my Kindles from now on anyway.

Many thanks to the posters in MobileRead for the information I have garnered to assist me.

https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliestext/thankyou.gif
baref00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #11
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by baref00t View Post
I have just been through the process this morning with Kindle Support. They stated that because I did not have info for the "Radio Serial Number:", the internal modem is broken and cannot be repaired.
Something similar happened to me with a K4.

One of my K4s had gotten bricked, and I developed the "simple debricking" method to debrick it. It had somehow gotten its mmc contents scrambled during an official firmware update, including where the serial number and other identifying info. After I restored this information (incorrectly) from a backup copy, it would not register (but it apparently confused the amazon servers and corrupted my records in their database). I discovered my bad data and reflashed it using the correct values from a backup copy, but it STILL would not register. After reaching a "high level" tech at amazon, he confirmed that my kindle's database record in their system contained an invalid "serial number and MAC address pairing". After he fixed that in their system, my kindle was able to register again, but mysteriously, its previous "Special Offers" status went away and my special offers screensavers reverted back to the factory "dead authors" screensavers.

The point of this story is that perhaps something similar happened to your DX (corrupt registration server database record), and only an amazon tech that can modify your record in their registration server can get it to register again.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote