Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
Paco
Paco began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Can I buy books from Sony Store and use it with the nook?

Hi guys:

My nook isn't arrived yet but I'm searching and making my mind of the pros and cons of the nook itself.

If one thing it jarate me off living out US is the ebook store, I don't want to fake my ip just because they don't sell outside US so I'm searching alternatives.

I have read you can keep your book from a Sony reader on the nook so my question is, Can I shop from sony store some books from my nook? Or from my PC, that doesn't even matter.

For example I want this: http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/ant...00000000069025

Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Yes. You can read any Adobe ePub ebook on the Nook, and all the ebooks at the Sony store are Adobe ePubs. However, the Sony store is US and Canada only. It may have fewer location checks on customers than B&N though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
Paco

US and Canada only too? what's wrong with the world these days?, ohh well, they don't want my money, I can leave with it I guess (you know, there is always a way on the Internet to get free stuff, their loss)

Thanks for the info wallcraft
Old 08-21-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
You only have to use an US address. So don't worry, as long as you have that (more problems? PM me )
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
Paco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
You only have to use an US address. So don't worry, as long as you have that (more problems? PM me )
Yes I have a US Address, the same which I used to buy the nook. So Sony Store don't check your ip?
And how is the process to buy a book on there? Is possible to use the same nook or only through a PC software?

Thanks
Old 08-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
The big problem with the Sony store is that they check the nationality of your credit card. Therefore, if you do not have a US credit card, the only way to buy books is using gift cards (which also have to be bought with a US credit card...).

Barnes & Noble on the other hand don't care about where your credit card comes from. They just do an IP address check.

And let me tell you, faking your IP address is much easier than trying to find some method of payment to the Sony store. I personally use AlwaysVPN (one-off $8.50 payment), which is fast and easy to use. You can buy books through the B&N website and then download them directly to your nook over Wi-Fi (you don't need a US IP address to download books - just to buy).
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
Paco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
The big problem with the Sony store is that they check the nationality of your credit card. Therefore, if you do not have a US credit card, the only way to buy books is using gift cards (which also have to be bought with a US credit card...).

Barnes & Noble on the other hand don't care about where your credit card comes from. They just do an IP address check.

And let me tell you, faking your IP address is much easier than trying to find some method of payment to the Sony store. I personally use AlwaysVPN (one-off $8.50 payment), which is fast and easy to use. You can buy books through the B&N website and then download them directly to your nook over Wi-Fi (you don't need a US IP address to download books - just to buy).
that's another interesting info, guess if I really need to buy a book I will go with B&N in that case (and VPN).
Man, I want my nook now
Old 08-22-2010, 04:36 AM   #8
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Again, no, I bought a lot with my Italian credit cards (plural). Both recently and not.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:12 AM   #9
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Huh? How did you manage that?

I've never managed to get the US Sony store to accept my New Zealand credit card.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:34 AM   #10
Juliette
I eat books

Quote:
Huh? How did you manage that?

I've never managed to get the US Sony store to accept my New Zealand credit card.
PM
Old 08-24-2010, 07:11 AM   #11
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
that's another interesting info, guess if I really need to buy a book I will go with B&N in that case (and VPN).
Man, I want my nook now
You could also use booksonboard.com - their prices are quite good, they have a good selection and you don't need a credit card at all since they accept Paypal.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote