Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Pocket Sized e-Ink Reader?

I really love the flexibility and portability of my phone as an ereader, but it doesn't do so well in full sunlight, and the battery life on my phone is pretty crummy. What I'd really like is, well, my Nook Classic, but with a 4-5" screen and as little real estate as possible surrounding the screen. Does anyone know anything like that in the eink ereader world?

Major needs:

- .Epub support
- SD card support (slap in a library and go)
- e-ink screen
- battery life of 10+ hours of full use
- "pocket" sized

I haven't seen anything like this - checking out the Wikipedia list of e-readers, the smallest screens are 5" and the real estate surrounding the screen (buttons, casing, etc.) isn't non-trivial. I'm pretty sure this probably doesn't exist.... but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask.

The closest I've found is the Samsung Papyrus, but if the $300 price tag didn't give me cause to hesitate, the lack of sd slot (IIRC) most definitely would. Plus, as small as it is, it still isn't "pocket-sized" to my mind.

Thanks in advance for all comments.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I think the Sony PRS-350 might be best suited to your needs. However, it doesn't have SD card support. It has all the other criteria you're looking for but if SD card support is a deal breaker then it would be out of the question.

ETA: There's also the Pocketbook 360. It has a 5"in screen, .epub support, SD card support, e-ink screen, long battery life and is "pocket" sized (although it looks bigger than the Sony but I'm not sure since I've never seen one in person). Perhaps that's your best bet?

Sorry to add more but there's also the Bookeen Cybook Opus. It also has a five in screen, SD card support, ePub support, long battery life and relatively small size.

They all have some real estate around the screen but they're probably pretty small for e-readers and I know the Sony can definitely fit into a big pocket like a coat pocket or even the back pocket of a pair of jeans. I haven't seen real models of the other two, so I'm not sure how big or small they really are.

Last edited by faithbw; 04-08-2011 at 05:39 PM.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
The Sony PRS-350 is a beaut. Not much around the screen, and it's metal, not plastic. Sure you need the SD card??
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I believe that the Sony 350 has a good amount of space. I think you should be able to carry 1,200 books. It might not have the memory card but you can pretty easily add books to it using the USB cord.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
PB 360 is very light and ergonomic.
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Jetbook Lite. It's small, it supports epub DRM, including BN's DRM, it can use an SD card, it runs on AA batteries (about 20 hours); only thing it doesn't have is the e-ink screen. It's an LCD screen, but it's not backlit; it's easy on the eyes and doesn't have the page flash on page turns.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I don't know about epub or SD card but although it's just a bit larger than a 5" screen the Kindle 3 is small enough to be carried easily in a jacket pocket. I have a lite jacket that I wear when it's cool but not cold enough for a winter coat and my Kindle fits right in with no problem. Sometimes I find myself checking to make sure it is still there (hasn't fallen out) because it's so compact and lite weight at 8.5 ounces. It has the e-Ink screen and shows up very well in direct sunlight. Non DRM epubs like on here at Mobiread convert well in Calibre as well.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Thank you for all the responses. It looks like the Sony PRS-350 is the smallest of the suggested - the rest seem to be ~8 even considering the 5" screen.

I'm a little surprised to see that the Sony comes with a stylus, so it's apparently a touch-screen. I'll have to check it out at my local Best Buy - thank you.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
FWIW, I was in virtually the same situation as you with a Nook and a Touch as my ereaders and wanted something a little bigger than the Touch with long battery life to live in my purse. I opted for the PRS-350 and I'm delighted. Only drawback is finding the perfect case to make the most of the petite size of the 350. I assume the perfect case will show; I have an adequate one to go on with in the meantime.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Oberon's small sleeve can be used for the 350.

http://www.oberondesign.com/Ereader_Sleeve_S.php
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Oberon's cases and sleeves are lustworthy. Maybe someday. Partially it's the price, but in this case, it's also size/bulk. The Oberon sleeve is 5.5" X 8.5"; my cheapy ($10) is slightly larger than 4.5" X 6". For me, one of the huge (so to speak) points of the 350 is its tiny size. I'd like a case that just fits it; the one I have has some wiggle room I'd like to lose. Ideally, I'd find a zip-around case that would allow for reading and exactly fit the 350's dimensions.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #12
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I believe that I've read in one of the threads here recently that the PB 360 is getting an update with a faster processor and a Pearl screen, so you might want to hold out for the update. I love my Sony PRS-350, and I highly recommend it to you if you can do without an SD card slot.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #13
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Issybird, did you see this thread? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128955 That Tuff Love case could be just the thing for you!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #14
Farhad
Zealot
Farhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheese

Device: N800/Nokia 5230/PB IQ701/PB 360
I would urge you to consider the PB360. I cannot imagine a more comfortable and highly configurable reader. The PB360 is small (for a 5" 600x800 screen), very light (5.3 ounces, less than the Sony), really accepts microSD/SDHC cards (careful with the Jetbooks here!!), is very well built, comes with a snap-on cover and screen protector, can be read in any position (display changes automatically thanks to the built-in accelerometer), recognizes a huge number of formats and is pretty bug free (ONLY) if you install the latest firmware (easy to do). The battery life on it is insanely long, the price is rather cheap and the guarantee on it two years. AS far as I know no other model on the market can match such qualities.

FG

PS: compare these with the Sony
Size with cover:
4.6” x 5.5” x 0.47”
Size without cover
4.6” x 5.5” x 0.39”

Last edited by Farhad; 04-11-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Farhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #15
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad View Post
I would urge you to consider the PB360. I cannot imagine a more comfortable and highly configurable reader. The PB360 is small (for a 5" 600x800 screen), very light (5.3 ounces, less than the Sony), really accepts microSD/SDHC cards (careful with the Jetbooks here!!), is very well built, comes with a snap-on cover and screen protector, can be read in any position (display changes automatically thanks to the built-in accelerometer), recognizes a huge number of formats and is pretty bug free (ONLY) if you install the latest firmware (easy to do). The battery life on it is insanely long, the price is rather cheap and the guarantee on it two years. AS far as I know no other model on the market can match such qualities.

FG

PS: compare these with the Sony
Size with cover:
4.6” x 5.5” x 0.47”
Size without cover
4.6” x 5.5” x 0.39”
I've just fallen for it and ordered (with a great price for Europe if you buy in the UK)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote