Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-27-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Just ordered the Archos 70

Decided to get into ebook reading last year. Looked at all the dedicated ebook readers and decided $150 (price at the time) was a lot to pay when I wasn't sure if I would be happy without a "paper" book.

Since I already had an iPhone, I decided to use it for a few months. If my reading experience on there would work, then I would look at an upgraded ebook reader.

To my surprise, I loved the handiness of the iPhone as an ebook reader and my reading experience wasn't less satisfying without a physical book. And I loved that I could try so many new authors for free and then support them when I liked their stories.

So I decided it was time for a bigger screen.

I was thinking that the ebook reader market might be like the PDA market, where people stopped buying them because their functions were starting to be available in cell phones so people didn't want to carry two devices. If the comparison were true, eventually tablets would take over from ereaders for many people. Also, I liked that I could just download an app for each ebook store and buy from any instead of being restricted.

So I decided on a tablet. I already had an iPhone which I liked but I was curious about Google Android Tablets as many were less expensive with more features than the iPhone. Also, I wanted to compare them and see how my web sites displayed in both systems.

I did some research and settled on the Archos 70 tablet at JR.com. I chose the 8GB version rather than the 250 GB to save weight since ebook reading would be a major use of it. I felt I could always add a 32GB SD card if I needed more space.

I felt the 7" screen (vs iPad 9.7") would be handier for for ereading. I liked that it had features like HDMI, USB, SD Cards, that the iPad lacked. And the price at $270 was much better than the $520 that the iPad sells for here.

Once it arrives, I will let you know how I like it.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
ebusinesstutor,

I got the same Archos about a month ago. I added a 16 Gb SD card (class 4, only $25 from Amazon!) and it has plenty of storage. I've added ebooks, music, and videos. I'm using the Aldiko book reader on it, but I've also added the Nook for android app (I have 2 Nooks at home too) and just for kicks I added the Kindle for android app and started a Kindle account with Amazon. You will also need to add a PDF reader, there are some free ones out there but I elected to go with EZ PDF, only cost me 99 cents and has very good reviews. Also you should add some type of office app so you can open and read Word documents, there are a few different apps available that will let you do this.

In comparison with your iPhone, you might find it a little bit sluggish as you change apps. Any by the way, if you want to add apps you should see about installing the android Market app - this is not preinstalled on the Archos, you will have to add it and install it manually.

As an ereader its not too bad, the size is nice and the battery lasts a reasonable length of time. I personally prefer the e-ink readers for long reading sessions, but if you want quick access to news or if you have digital magazines then the tablet is great. If all you have to compare against is your iPhone then the reading quality will probably be at least acceptable.

Vic

Last edited by VicLavigne; 03-28-2011 at 03:26 PM.
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLavigne View Post
ebusinesstutor,

I got the same Archos about a month ago. I added a 16 Gb SD card (class 4, only $25 from Amazon!) and it has plenty of storage. I've added ebooks, music, and videos. I'm using the Aldiko book reader on it, but I've also added the Nook for android app (I have 2 Nooks at home too) and just for kicks I added the Kindle for android app and started a Kindle account with Amazon. You will also need to add a PDF reader, there are some free ones out there but I elected to go with EZ PDF, only cost me 99 cents and has very good reviews. Also you should add some type of office app so you can open and read Word documents, there are a few different apps available that will let you do this.

In comparison with your iPhone, you might find it a little bit sluggish as you change apps. Any by the way, if you want to add apps you should see about installing the android Market app - this is not preinstalled on the Archos, you will have to add it and install it manually.

As an ereader its not too bad, the size is nice and the battery lasts a reasonable length of time. I personally prefer the e-ink readers for long reading sessions, but if you want quick access to news or if you have digital magazines then the tablet is great. If all you have to compare against is your iPhone then the reading quality will probably be at least acceptable.

Vic
So how does the Archos's screen compare to the Nook Color?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:24 AM   #4
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your feedback Vic I appreciate the tips.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
The Nook Color screen has a higher resolution. 1024 X 600 versus Archos' 800 X 400. For what I do, I don't notice a difference in quality but I'm sure it may be noticeable for other people who really like high quality images and video.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:55 AM   #6
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker

Not sure the Nook is available in Canada and I was always worried that they had disabled a lot of the tablet functionality by adding their ebook interface.

Higher screen resolution does sound good, but I don't think the Nook has HDMI or webcam.

I have also read that it is thicker and a slower processor. And the kickstand on the Archos is a nice touch.

Since I did want more tablet capability than a dedicated ereader, I think the Archos will suit me better.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:54 AM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
Not sure the Nook is available in Canada and I was always worried that they had disabled a lot of the tablet functionality by adding their ebook interface.

Higher screen resolution does sound good, but I don't think the Nook has HDMI or webcam.

I have also read that it is thicker and a slower processor. And the kickstand on the Archos is a nice touch.

Since I did want more tablet capability than a dedicated ereader, I think the Archos will suit me better.
Just enjoy, with tech devices there are always so many choices that you cannot afford to second guess your device post-purchase or it will drive you nuts. Both the Archos and the Nook color are good devices.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Just enjoy, with tech devices there are always so many choices that you cannot afford to second guess your device post-purchase or it will drive you nuts. Both the Archos and the Nook color are good devices.
How do you do that, or rather not do that. I second guess my devices every time a new shiny is introduced. And when the shiny crosses some arbitrary threshold of impulse trumps common sense the cycle start over.

I have a whole closet full of somewhat tarnished shinys.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:28 PM   #9
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker

I can use them in business.

So the way I look at it is that if it lasts 3 years, I am getting all the functionality and learning so I can teach my mentorship students for less than $100 per year.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:16 AM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I have a whole closet full of somewhat tarnished shinys.
So do I, but I make it a point to never have any regrets --- unless the item turns out to be a real lemon.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:37 AM   #11
caheaton
Enthusiast
caheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo & Kindle apps (PC, Android), Aura HD, Kindle Touch
I recently made the jump to one of the Craig tablets. They work quite well as color ereaders. Now if only I could find a way to put this into a red screen mode for using outdoors at night (and not affect night vision)...
Craig
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #12
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
So do I, but I make it a point to never have any regrets --- unless the item turns out to be a real lemon.
Yes, my collection includes a few lemons. :sigh:
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:02 AM   #13
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Yes, my collection includes a few lemons. :sigh:
Welcome to the club!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #14
secretsubscribe
Enthusiast
secretsubscribe is a marvel to beholdsecretsubscribe is a marvel to beholdsecretsubscribe is a marvel to beholdsecretsubscribe is a marvel to beholdsecretsubscribe is a marvel to beholdsecretsubscribe is a marvel to beholdsecretsubscribe is a marvel to beholdsecretsubscribe is a marvel to beholdsecretsubscribe is a marvel to beholdsecretsubscribe is a marvel to beholdsecretsubscribe is a marvel to behold

Device: PRS-500,Treo 750, Archos 605 Wifi
I've been using an Archos 70 8gb since the beginning of the year and I'm quite happy with it.
I've installed Google's Market on it, the Nook App, Sony's App, and an app called iReader that I can read my old DRM protected Mobipocket books with.
Screen isn't as crisp as my iPhone 4 or my wife's Nook but its very good. I even use it for comic book reading with the Android Comic Viewer and Comixiology.

Its been a great device so far.
secretsubscribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #15
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I quite agree with your general assesment that customers would preferr not to carry multiple devices for the same function, however I arrived at a different conclusion then you did for a slighly different reason. I preferred to read it on the general purpose phone like your iphone, in my case a blackberry. I have readers for Borders, Amazon, mobi pocket and my library system. I am betting that customers would preferr to have the smaller smart phone then the larger tablet, in my area the tablet PC has 0% market so I am betting that the smart phone will beat the tablet PC, however you might be right. Of course I have another reason for selecting the option I did: my employer gave me the berry with the best possible plan: free phone and $0 a month and $0 for texting and unlimited email, text and phone calls. So you see I had an incentive to select the method I did, however I understand that I am rather unique in this manner.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, archos 70, tablet