Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 12:40 AM   #1
Roy Hinkley
Roy Hinkley began at the beginning.

Device: none
Nook in Canada - what doesn't work, any problems?

Hi, everyone.

I've browsed through here and it seems like a lot of the posts about Nooks in Canada go back to December. Hopefully this isn't a redundent message thread.

I called Barnes & Noble and they say the won't ship the Nook to Canada. I might be going to Niagara Falls soon, however, so I could cross the border and pick one up.

Is there anything that I can't do with the Nook in Canada? I'm really not concerned with downloading content wirelessly onto the reader. I don't mind downloading it onto a PC then dragging & dropping via a USB connection.

I did try out a Kindle 2 for a couple of weeks. The 3G network worked, but there was a $2 surcharge to download anything. I've returned the Kindle. One reason is that for me it feels too big and hard to hold.

I think I like the look of the Nook and features more than the Kindle 2. As long as I can copy files (my own documents, PDFs especially) and purchase epub books and use them on the Nook, I'm happy.
Roy Hinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
DarthV
Enthusiast
DarthV began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi
I'd be interested to see how regional restrictions are handled for canadian owners. I see most of the ebooks on the B&N page saying that they only ship to the US.
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthV View Post
I'd be interested to see how regional restrictions are handled for canadian owners. I see most of the ebooks on the B&N page saying that they only ship to the US.
As far as I know if you register your account with an valid USA address, you should be able to buy all the books (because some books are available for Canada, Canadian ip-addresses are allowed).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Hinkley View Post
I called Barnes & Noble and they say the won't ship the Nook to Canada.
You might double check on this. The nook manual says available to Canada. In fact, I sent B&N an email a couple of months back and this is it:

Quote:
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Please be advised, we are only offering the Nook for customers in the U.S. and Canada. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused you.

We look forward to your next visit.

Sincerely,

Edwin
Customer Service Representative
Barnes and Noble
http://www.bn.com/

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Hello,

Can people in Canada order a nook? I download the manual for the nook and it says, “You can only purchase a nook if you have a billing address in the United States, U.S. territories, or Canada.”

But on the B&N website it says US only.

Which is correct?

Thanks!
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Hinkley View Post
Hi, everyone.

I've browsed through here and it seems like a lot of the posts about Nooks in Canada go back to December. Hopefully this isn't a redundent message thread.

I called Barnes & Noble and they say the won't ship the Nook to Canada. I might be going to Niagara Falls soon, however, so I could cross the border and pick one up.

Is there anything that I can't do with the Nook in Canada? I'm really not concerned with downloading content wirelessly onto the reader. I don't mind downloading it onto a PC then dragging & dropping via a USB connection.

I did try out a Kindle 2 for a couple of weeks. The 3G network worked, but there was a $2 surcharge to download anything. I've returned the Kindle. One reason is that for me it feels too big and hard to hold.

I think I like the look of the Nook and features more than the Kindle 2. As long as I can copy files (my own documents, PDFs especially) and purchase epub books and use them on the Nook, I'm happy.
The nook works fine in Canada, but obviously you cannot use 3G, only WiFi (roaming is disabled for obvious reasons). Other than that, you will have no issues, but keep in mind that some books cannot be purchased from Canada due to geographical restrictions, B&N seem to do an IP check and filter books based on location.

B&N are supposed to release a WiFi only nook, which for Canadians is probably better, but as far as I know, B&N didn't say when it would be available.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
DarthV
Enthusiast
DarthV began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi
Right now I'm waiting to see if the Nook 'lite' or new Sony readers will be released this summer. I like the less wasted space on the Sony, but I'd prefer the Nook's eInk screen :P
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:54 AM   #7
Khai
Enthusiast
Khai began at the beginning.

Device: nook
However, the IP-address checking shouldn't be hard to get past if you hide behind, say, Hotspot Shield. Turn it on every time you want to purchase a book from B&N
Khai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:54 PM   #8
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
I asked in store today. It only connects in the US. Outside the US you are restricted to WiFi only (which is easily done) however you cannot buy from the device by WiFi, only by mobile phone (3G I think).

The only other thing of note the sales guy had to say was that they seem keen to receive customer feedback, and folder support is something lots of people have asked for.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote