Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
darkstar
Enthusiast
darkstar began at the beginning.

Device: sony 500 505, kindleDX,KA1
Kindle DX and djvu format

I have alot of djvu format books, using the STDU converter ( with autocrop enabled) I have converted many of them to PDF and viewed them on my DX. I am quite pleased the the results, the text and equations look quite sharp ( as good as the djvu document viewed on my computer). The only downsides are the STDU converter is $30, and the resulting PDF file seems to be 2 to 4 times larger then the djvu file.
darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
One of the reasons the project is using DJVU is because DJVU files generally ARE smaller than the same files in PDF.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2009, 11:47 PM   #3
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
I use free PDF printer drivers, they do good job. But PDF size can be 5-10 times larger.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
tklaus
Connoisseur
tklaus doesn't littertklaus doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle DX
I downloaded the trial version of the STDU converter (thanks for the pointer!), and I like the auto-cropping feature in principle for viewing on the DX, but it seems to be a bit too aggressive. In many cases it trimmed off part of the actual text. Is there any way to make it keep a bit of a margin? I tried playing with the 'threshold' value, but that just made it crop more, not less. There's also no documentation that I could find.
tklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
darkstar
Enthusiast
darkstar began at the beginning.

Device: sony 500 505, kindleDX,KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tklaus View Post
I downloaded the trial version of the STDU converter (thanks for the pointer!), and I like the auto-cropping feature in principle for viewing on the DX, but it seems to be a bit too aggressive. In many cases it trimmed off part of the actual text. Is there any way to make it keep a bit of a margin? I tried playing with the 'threshold' value, but that just made it crop more, not less. There's also no documentation that I could find.
The cropping feature does seem aggressive, but I never lost any text. The main pain with the cropping for me is that any smudge,trash markings on the sides of the page keep the auto-crop from zooming in on actual text.

I have not seen any documentation, alas. I thought there was a way to do manual cropping on a page and use that for the whole document, but I forgot how(if it ever existed). I am going to keep fiddling with it, I do need a good djvu to pdf converter, I doubt the kindle DX will ever directly support djvu.
darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2009, 02:42 AM   #6
power100
power100 began at the beginning.

Device: no
is it possible to have any kind of linux djvu viewer installed/added to kindle?
anyway it is linux.
power100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:00 AM   #7
STDUSupport
Support of stdutility.com
STDUSupport began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX
Sorry for "up" this old topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
the resulting PDF file seems to be 2 to 4 times larger then the djvu file.
DjVu has better algorithms to encode B/W images with text. But in last version of our converter we use JBIG2 algorithm for B/W images, and have good results, resulting PDF larder only on 10-20% then the djvu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tklaus View Post
If you still interest this, can you send to us (support@stdutility.com) some file, with bad autocrop, and may be we will can improve this options.
STDUSupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:19 AM   #8
power100
power100 began at the beginning.

Device: no
the duokan firmware is supportding djvu now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STDUSupport View Post
Sorry for "up" this old topic.

DjVu has better algorithms to encode B/W images with text. But in last version of our converter we use JBIG2 algorithm for B/W images, and have good results, resulting PDF larder only on 10-20% then the djvu.

If you still interest this, can you send to us (support@stdutility.com) some file, with bad autocrop, and may be we will can improve this options.
power100 is offline   Reply With Quote