Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-08-2009, 03:55 AM   #1
pato1
pato1 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Sony PRS-505 slow whilst changing Chapters. XHTML too large?

Hi,

I have a problem of speed/flowing of pages/chapters. I am converting some novels into epub-format and am splitting the xhtml-files into chapters. Problem is that some books have large or no chapters.
I read that files have to be under 300KB. I have XHTML-files that are 150-250KB.

Some books that I have generated are really very slow on the Sony PRS-505. (20-30 secs when changing chapters). Could this be the problem? I am also using a pagemap.xml file for the pagenumbering (I am looking to put that info into the ncx at a later time).

Should I be looking at generating much smaller .XHTML files?

Cheers for any help

Pat
pato1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:43 AM   #2
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Slow movement between chapters is normal with Adobe's implementation of EPUB, and one of the reasons why I prefer LRF.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
pato1
pato1 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I have to stick with EPUB because it is the customer's specification.
By "Adobe's implementation" do you mean the pagemap.xml? I read a reply from kovidgoyal that style=pagebreak:always helps speeding the "TOC" display and wondered if periodically entering it in a few of the <p> tags after every few pages would speed the display. Would replacing the pagemap.xml with additional info in the ncx speed it up?
Cheers for any help or comments.
Pat
pato1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
Check this thread out to see if it helps

HOWTO: Improve performance on calibre generated ePUBs

Search for this post by =X=

Has to do with removing #HREFs from the TOC. This may help.
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony 505 slow large xhtml