Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-14-2012, 04:38 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Public Domain / Copyright --- how to determine?

I've read through a lot of threads about expired copyright, but can't find quite the information I need.
I'm wanting to rehabilitate and upload to the library a book that was published in 1900 (specifically, Cherry by Booth Tarkington). I remember someone posted that most texts from Project Gutenberg were safe to redistribute.
But I have only found this one on Internet Archive, where it is annotated "Not In Copyright", and on ManyBooks, with no rights/licensing annotation at all.

So, I don't know if it is not on PG due to lack of interest, or because somehow copyright was renewed. It is not listed in PG's text of copyright renewal notices 1950-1977.

I'm residing in Japan, a life+50 area, uploading to a Canadian (life+50) server. Wanting to upload a book published in USA in 1900. (supposedly out of copyright along with everything else published in USA prior to 1923)
What is your advice?
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:43 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyGrumpy View Post
I've read through a lot of threads about expired copyright, but can't find quite the information I need.
I'm wanting to rehabilitate and upload to the library a book that was published in 1900 (specifically, Cherry by Booth Tarkington). I remember someone posted that most texts from Project Gutenberg were safe to redistribute.
But I have only found this one on Internet Archive, where it is annotated "Not In Copyright", and on ManyBooks, with no rights/licensing annotation at all.

So, I don't know if it is not on PG due to lack of interest, or because somehow copyright was renewed. It is not listed in PG's text of copyright renewal notices 1950-1977.

I'm residing in Japan, a life+50 area, uploading to a Canadian (life+50) server. Wanting to upload a book published in USA in 1900. (supposedly out of copyright along with everything else published in USA prior to 1923)
What is your advice?
A quick Wikipedia search will tell you that Booth Tarkington died in 1946, hence his books are in the public domain in "life+50" countries, but not in "life+70" countries.

The situation in the US is a little different; there, there is a blanket rule that everything published prior to 1923 is in the public domain.

So yes, it is legal for you to upload this book to MR.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 04:54 AM   #3
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Thank you most kindly. I pretty much thought it is, but didn't want to put MobileRead in a bad light. Always ask the experts, I always say (belt & suspenders)
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote