Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-08-2024, 02:15 AM   #1
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Smile The Reading Joy & Delight Thread

This is a sibling to "The Reading Vent & Rant Thread", for the times when something about books or reading makes you happy

I'm in a bit of a reading slump and can't make myself start new novels, even though I have the latest Murderbot on my ereader and know that I'll enjoy it. But during the holidays I had a lot of fun reading the roleplaying/storytelling game Good Society, printing out the play materials, and thinking about running a game. It's a game for creating stories inspired by Jane Austen. I also have a couple of expansions: Sense, Sensibility and Swordsmanship for stories like The Scarlet Pimpernel and Zorro, and Pride, Prejudice and Practical Magics for stories like Shades of Milk and Honey and Sorcerer to the Crown. The game looks really interesting, and doesn't require a ton of homework to run, unlike many other roleplaying games.

I'm also rereading some of my favourite fanfiction, and there's a lot of really good writing out there.

So while a (partial) reading slump is annoying, it's good to still be able to enjoy reading!
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 05:19 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I just recently finished the latest Murderbot. Love that series! I made an omnibus of all the Murderbot novels and novellas, so it's just one big volume.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2024, 07:37 PM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I just recently finished the latest Murderbot. Love that series! I made an omnibus of all the Murderbot novels and novellas, so it's just one big volume.
Are they in the correct order?
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 07:56 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Are they in the correct order?
Apache
Of course!
Old 01-09-2024, 05:11 AM   #5
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
As Hildea I am also in a reading slump finding it difficult, almost impossible, to start a new book.
I tried to google "Reading Slump" and found several suggestions to remedy the problem.
link

Some suggestions
"Read" an audiobook, not suitable for me. I simply can't concentrate to do the listening.
Reread a favourite book. Maybe a favourite from your young(er) days. I will try that one.

Well the Murderbot books really look interesting, probably an addon to my very long TBR.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2024, 05:20 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Hmm... I actually had no idea such a thing as reading slump (inability to start a new book) even existed. I've never felt it in 50 years. I do reread, but not because I can't start anything new, only because I specifically want to reread something.

I often feel that way with movies and TV series, though. My solution is to read instead!
Old 01-09-2024, 05:27 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Another thing that can happen is having a hard time picking another book so start reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 05:38 AM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Another thing that can happen is having a hard time picking another book so start reading.
Also something I've never felt.
Old 01-09-2024, 02:55 PM   #9
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Thanks - I hadn't realized the series was ongoing!
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 03:31 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I have to agree with Sirtel. So many books, so little time. I never have the issue of starting a new book and I read a wide enough variety of books that there is no shortage. OTOH, a few times per year, I will re-read at least part of a series prior to a new book in the series being released.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 04:36 PM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
After reading a bunch of books (that I did enjoy) to finish a reading challenge, I'm back to reading my way through Raymond Chandler.

I'm on The Long Goodbye, and I just enjoy his writing so much. One of the few authors where I enjoy the writing as much as the story being told.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 04:38 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
I'm in a bit of a reading slump and can't make myself start new novels...
When I hit one of those, I read some comics/graphic novels. The fact that I now rarely read comics tells me I don't have those slums too often.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 04:44 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm on The Long Goodbye, and I just enjoy his writing so much. One of the few authors where I enjoy the writing as much as the story being told.
I've read one book by Chandler and that was 30 years ago. I didn't enjoy his writing at all and will probably never read anything more by him. Just goes to show how drastically different tastes can be.

I've finished The Winter Queen (goodish, but not outstanding; will probably read some of the sequels, but not immediately) and will start something new today. I also have some unfinished (by me, not the author) series going, but don't quite feel like reading them at the moment.
Old 01-09-2024, 04:59 PM   #14
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
There's a kind of slightly twisted relief to deciding to DNF a book you just couldn't get into and then moving on to a different book that turned out to be much better.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 05:03 PM   #15
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
There's a kind of slightly twisted relief to deciding to DNF a book you just couldn't get into and then moving on to a different book that turned out to be much better.
I wouldn't say there was anything twisted about it - simple joy for me, and an experience I have often, happily.

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 01-09-2024 at 06:03 PM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote