Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-16-2007, 06:10 AM   #1
GregS
Zealot
GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ Reader 5", Iliad
Size matter's - Eink

I have not yet seen an eink display, but I like all that I am hearing about it, except its size.

That's right I don't mind that it is black & white, even a bit slow in page turning, I need to read stable text, a book I can put down and pick up where I left off without re-booting. I can live with limited interactivity, and wait for all other improvements - but not size.

A4, unless you can fold it is just too big, thumping around with a clipboard size device does not work for me at all. Don't get me wrong if I could fold it up, A4, even A3, would suit me fine.

But until then, it just seems so obvious - A5 (14.8cm x 210cm). Scales up to A4 printing well, scales down from most A4 well enough to read with ease (given good resolution). It can be printed on A4 either scaled up or simply in booklet form.

A5 with extra border and control space can be shoved into most bags, of even hung off a belt with out much problem. A4 can be to if you carry a briefcase or don't mind looking like a 19th Century courier with a large dispatch case banging about.

I am a hopelessly untidy individual, when reading, without some handy bag or big pockets, I slip my current reading into my shirt (hating to hold anything in my hands). A4 is too big A5 about right (especially if it is thin).

So my message is - get the size right, there is little practical choice but A5 eink page. Then start improving the rest.

Last edited by GregS; 11-16-2007 at 06:12 AM. Reason: grammaticals
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Does anybody know how A5 translates into inch-diameter?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A5 is 210 x 148 mm or, in Fred Flintstone units, 8.3" x 5.8", with a diagonal of 10.1". Slightly larger than the iLiad's screen.

Greg - why not look at the iLiad? Seems as though the size would be about right for you.

You must have VERY large shirt pockets! I don't think many people would consider the iLiad to be "pocket sized", and you're asking for something that's larger still.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I do my reading mostly lying down flat on my back and study sitting at a table. So I would go for two different devices.

The size of the actual Sony screen is perfect for a reading device, but I would like the screen to be the size of the total device, meaning I hate having that much space wasted around the bezel and specifically the lower part. I'd like it to be thinner and lighter and I'd put controls on the back side. Having controls that way is not that difficult to learn, you really don't have to have them identified the way they are. How often do you look at them when you read? I don't anymore! Apart from the numbered ones.

Then I'd like an eink media device such as the rumored Kindle, with a bigger screen; input and browsing enabled. That would be for study and business and to be used like a tablet.

It is not possible for me to have a 'one fits all' device, unless it folds in two to permit using only one half for reading. But the device would have to be light.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:50 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You must have VERY large shirt pockets!
He didn't say he put things in his shirt pocket HarryT.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

Device: prs-500
greg, i think the issues of page turn speed, boot up time, and size are overstated. the boot up and page turn time on my prs-500 are similar to the time it would take to physically open (bootup) and turn the page of an actual book. the page turns arent distracting, and you dont have to fumble with peeling off one sheet at a time, so page turns may be even quicker. the size is comparable to a standard paper back book, but you can make the font bigger. if youre looking for somthing to read pdf's or tech manuals then you probably will need something bigger, but for a book reader these are just about perfect
jamesdmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:48 AM   #7
GregS
Zealot
GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ Reader 5", Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A5 is 210 x 148 mm or, in Fred Flintstone units, 8.3" x 5.8", with a diagonal of 10.1". Slightly larger than the iLiad's screen.

Greg - why not look at the iLiad? Seems as though the size would be about right for you.

You must have VERY large shirt pockets! I don't think many people would consider the iLiad to be "pocket sized", and you're asking for something that's larger still.
The Iliad is looking better, the imperial measurements had me fooled, losing the margins would mean a 71% reduction of an A4, which should mean 12 point text remains readable at about 8-9points.

I slip books into my shirt (not a good look my wife tells me), but I have been doing that since I was a teenager - NatCh ; )

It would be a good thing, bearing in mind, common stock paper and most printers handle A4/A5, that eink screens came in at a strict A5, or a little larger.

yvanleterrible I can see why the Sony size would suit for reading, A5 makes things a little too big, when controls and sides are considered. My concern is more about PDF -> Reader Ebooks -> printers (I know for non PDF this does not prove such a problem).

Iliad seems to have an edge in this, but it would make a lot of subsidiary things easier if A5 more or less became standard.
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:00 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
I slip books into my shirt (not a good look my wife tells me), but I have been doing that since I was a teenager - NatCh ; )
I understood exactly what you meant, I used to do the same thing. Then I went to a belt pouch, which my wife said made me look deformed, now I wear vests that are designed for Concealed Carry -- they have nice big pockets that are specifically engineered to make it not-obvious that heavy bulky things are stowed in them, something like my PRS500 (plus my Trēo, blackberry, and various other necessities) simply disappears into them without a trace -- everybody's happy!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:05 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
Iliad seems to have an edge in this, but it would make a lot of subsidiary things easier if A5 more or less became standard.
I think it would be too big for many peoples' tastes. The thing about the readers with 6" screens (Sony, Gen3, etc) is that the reader is pretty much the same size as a paperback book, and that's a size that's a "proven winner" in terms of being something that people are willing to carry around with them wherever they go.

The iLiad really is too big to have on you all the time, and and A5 device would be larger still.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:23 PM   #10
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
The iLiad in the case I use just fits in the outside pocket of the Eagle Creek trail bag I've been using for years. (I used to keep my Newton there.) That makes it a good size for me to have with me just about all the time, but the case is a tight fit -- it's hard to slide the case in and out. I'm considering making a more snug slip-case from carbon fiber and epoxy. I'd just leave that in the pocket.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote