Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
External EPaper Monitor for EBook Reading?

Greetings,

Does anyone know of any company that offers an external (preferably, USB) monitor that utilizes some form of electronic paper technology, whether it be EInk or a display similar to the Jetbook? Failing that, does anyone know of any non-backlit usb monitors using standard technology? I was thinking something along the lines of the old Palm screens, which allowed one to turn the back light off, but bigger and USB compatible. While not as portable as a standalone reader, I could definitely find a use for it in conjunction with my netbook. I would be able to use desktop-based EBook software which offers much more in the way of features than the portable readers do. And, given a long enough usb cord, I could even curl up on the couch with it. At the very least, it could be useful in reducing eye-fatigue from a back light, possibly increasing work place productivity. Any ideas, or is this just too niche of a product to be viable?

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I know of really few USB monitors. I wouldn't mind having one like you describe, just, small market.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I had a good search on the internet for them, and I couldn't find a single eink external display device. It seems bizarre, I thought they would exist, so perhaps it's a very small niche product that only a few companies make.

I guess when people use an external device the new 24" LCDs are so very cheap and 'decent' to read from now that eink monitors would only take a tiny % of sales.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
USB monitors are a small niche as is. I doubt anyone would mass produce what you describe.

I'm reluctant to suggest it, since you already have the former, but something to possibly consider is a netbook or tabletPC equipped with a 3Qi screen. None exist yet, though hopefully (*cross fingers and toes*) they should start to appear within the next few months.
Dylrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
There is Ricavision thing, but doesn't look like it will be ever released.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
These don't fit your 'non-backlit' requirement, but I know of a couple USB monitors:

Mimo 710

All four Mimo models

These aren't useful for everything, like video, since the bandwidth of USB 2.0 (480Mbps) is only sufficient for transferring non-compressed video with a resolution of 640x480 and a frame rate of 60Hz. Compressed video (Flash, H.264, etc.) may not have a problem though.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:44 AM   #7
TinyApps.Org
Enthusiast
TinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: e-ink monitor
E Ink monitor

Quote:
Does anyone know of any company that offers an external (preferably, USB) monitor that utilizes some form of electronic paper technology, whether it be EInk or a display similar to the Jetbook?
Thanks to NiLuJe's & hawhill, you can use a Kindle DX as an E Ink computer monitor: http://tinyapps.org/docs/e-ink-monitor.html
TinyApps.Org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:19 AM   #8
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I don't know about non-backlit monitorss, but many newer monitors support MHL, which is a USB video output standard for handehld devices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_...efinition_Link

My new Samsung monitor at home supports this.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
display, eink, epaper, monitor, usb