Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
Ezmegaz
Ezmegaz began at the beginning.

Device: none - phone whit ebook reader software
Question The best choice for a central european (help wanted!)

Hy all! I live in Central Europe (Slovakia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovakia) and i entered the mobilereads giveaway. Pls give me some reason wich device is ideal for me:

* Amazon Kindle 2
* Sony Reader PRS-700
* Sony Reader PRS-505
* Bookeen Cybook Gen3
* Endless Ideas BeBook 1
* Ectaco jetBook

Main requirements:
- The device must support unicode characters (like Ő and Ű).
- Must stable, e.g.: It is hard to repair if somthing will goes wrong =)
- The price is not important (becous it is a giveaway)
- that is all, sorry for my english =D
Ezmegaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
As far as I know, the Kindle and neither of the sony's are available to you.

So, that leaves the BeBook, CyBook and JetBook.

I wouldn't know the advantages of the BeBook over CyBook (or the other way around), they are both 6" e-ink devices.

The JetBook is different, it's a 5" LCD screen, but not backlit and is said to have the same readability of an e-ink screen (I say "is said", because I don't have either of them, so I can't compare myself).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
rowjimmy
rowjimmy is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Where Am I?

Last edited by rowjimmy; 06-11-2009 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Wrong Forum!
rowjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ezmegaz, unless you are a computer/typography wizard, you would probably be happiest with a device that supports the .lit format. Both Project Gutenberg (English books galore) and MEK (the Hungarian Electronic Library) offer quite a lot of .lit eBooks free.

- Ahi

---

Ezmegaz, hacsak nem vagy nagyon otthonos a számítógéppel és a nyomdatannal/tipográfiával, valószinüleg egy olyan masinával járnál legjobban amelyik bír a .LIT formátummal. Ugyanis mind a Project Gutenbergről (sok angol és más nyelvű könyv) és a MEKről (Magyar Elektronikus Könyvtár) sok ingyenes .LIT eKönyv letölthető.

Üdv.: Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:20 AM   #5
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezmegaz View Post
Hy all! I live in Central Europe (Slovakia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovakia) and i entered the mobilereads giveaway. Pls give me some reason wich device is ideal for me:

* Amazon Kindle 2
* Sony Reader PRS-700
* Sony Reader PRS-505
* Bookeen Cybook Gen3
* Endless Ideas BeBook 1
* Ectaco jetBook

Main requirements:
- The device must support unicode characters (like Ő and Ű).
- Must stable, e.g.: It is hard to repair if somthing will goes wrong =)
- The price is not important (becous it is a giveaway)
- that is all, sorry for my english =D
I would look up information on the Ectaco jetBook as I know they advertise support for e-Book contents in Albanian, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, English, Faeroese, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Icelandic, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Croatian, Czech, Estonian, Hungarian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian and other European languages. It says Multilingual Support and comes complete with its own collection of books pre-installed so you will already have a head start on building your new library. Allowing you to quickly and easily download and add content from different sources, jetBook displays .txt and .pdf files as well as .jpg. It is also able to display books in a number of the world's most popular languages including Albanian, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, English, Faeroese, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Icelandic, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Croatian, Czech, Estonian, Hungarian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian and other European languages!

Do a Google search in addition to the info on this forum - tons of info is available.

Cheers!...and your English is fine (better than what I hear daily!!).
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:25 AM   #6
Tuna
Zealot
Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-ER
How about the Pocket Book 301?
Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:57 AM   #7
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezmegaz View Post
Hy all! I live in [...] Slovakia [...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Ezmegaz, hacsak nem vagy [...] eKönyv letölthető.
Isn't this Hungarian?

(no offence intended!)
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
So, that leaves the BeBook, CyBook and JetBook.

I wouldn't know the advantages of the BeBook over CyBook (or the other way around), they are both 6" e-ink devices.
The difference is, that the Cybook features DRM-support, while the Bebook does not. On the other hand, the Bebook offers a number od extra buttons and the possibility to install an alternative firmware (OpenInkpot).

Si if you are looking for a device to read recent fiction or other books, which are recent (and therefore DRM protected), the cybook is a good one. If you are more interested in the possibility to experiment with firmwares and anyway plan on reading only DRM-free content, the BeBook is to be preferred.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishcompany View Post
The difference is, that the Cybook features DRM-support, while the Bebook does not. On the other hand, the Bebook offers a number od extra buttons and the possibility to install an alternative firmware (OpenInkpot).

Si if you are looking for a device to read recent fiction or other books, which are recent (and therefore DRM protected), the cybook is a good one. If you are more interested in the possibility to experiment with firmwares and anyway plan on reading only DRM-free content, the BeBook is to be preferred.
BeBook does support DRM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://mybebook.com/p5/ereader-bebook/product_info.html
Read any pdf*, mobi, lit*, epub*, html, txt, prc, fb2, jpg file and over 300.000 of free rss newsfeeds from your BeBook. Including Mobipocket Digital Rights Management support. (*non-drm)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #10
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
BeBook does support DRM.
Indeed so. It currently supports Mobipocket DRM, and there are 'rumours' that it will support Adobe DE ePub in the future.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
jetBook Languages

Looking at the Languages menu on my jetBook, I see choices for Russian, Polish, Spanish, German and English. Ectaco must have a different firmware for different groups of languages to support every one listed. They probably couldn't fit all of those languages into one firmware.

Post a link to an ebook in one of the non-English languages that my jetBook supports and I'll let you know how well it displays.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #12
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
Isn't this Hungarian?

(no offence intended!)
It is. As is the poster though.

I know firstly on account of his username, which translates to "Thisandthat" from Hungarian, and the fact that in his initial post he specifically mentions needing Ő and Ű (letters primarily, if not exclusively, in the Hungarian alphabet) to work.

Southern Slovakia has a considerable Hungarian minority due to historical reasons.

- Ahi
Old 06-12-2009, 03:12 PM   #13
AlfonsVH
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
It is. As is the poster though.

etc...

But I did learn something . Thanks for the info!
Old 06-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #14
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post

But I did learn something . Thanks for the info!
You're most welcome!

In Central/Eastern Europe nationality/citizenship/ethnicity can often be a confusing (not to mention sometimes politically sensitive) trifecta.

- Ahi
Old 06-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #15
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
BeBook does support DRM.
Thanks for telling, I really was not aware of this.
Does it actually also support dictionary lookup? (This is one feature, I really appreciate about the cybook, I read a lot in English, which is not my mothertongue).
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote