Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
BlackEel
BlackEel began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Is my reader faulty? Crashes with PDFs

I can't figure out if my PRS-505 is faulty or not.

I have tried copying a number of different PDFs to the device, via the Sony software, via Adobe Editions, via Calibre and by simply copying the file to a memory card.

As far as I can tell the PDFs are totally unsecured, they say Security: No Security in Adobe Editions and Acrobat

BUT, every time I try to read one of the PDFs my reader reboots, shows me a screen that says 'starting up' the one with the PDF (and BBeB) logo!

Is my reader faulty or am I just using crappy PDF files?

Could someone post a PDF that is readable on their PRS-505 that I could try?
BlackEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
You could try loading on the PDF user guide from the Sony CD......I loaded it on mine with no reading problems, so I know its okay on the reader itself.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
BlackEel

Funny you should mention that, its exactly what I just did, using the sony software I copied the user manual to the reader, when i disconnect it, it searches for books then reboots, then searches for books, then reboots, repeat.... very annoying
Old 09-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Mmm, that is odd. Have you tried doing a hard reset, this will wipe the reader and put it back to factory settings. Beware it will remove all books, bookmarks, collections so make sure you have them on the PC first. (you can't back up bookmarks though, although you can add them to the books in the eLibrary and it will add them when you transfer to book back in)

I find my reader can be iffy after I transfer books and it seems happier if after I transfer books I switch off via the menu after it reboots, then switch back on. Otherwise it seems to do odd things. It may be worth switching off via menu first then see if that helps. If not try the hard reset and reload your books, or maybe just the one PDF (sony user guide) to see if it reads it then.

Otherwise just hang on and Im sure there will be others along later with lots of help for you
Old 09-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEel View Post
Could someone post a PDF that is readable on their PRS-505 that I could try?
Two to try are "Through the Looking Glass" from here and "Pride and Prejudice" from here, which both are fine on my 505.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:04 AM   #6
BlackEel

OK, tried a lot more different PDFs, none work.

Thanks for your advice babyd, I did a hard reset, copied just the Sony manual via the Sony software, then used the menu to turn it off.

So when I turn on the device I have only the Sony manual, I go to 'books by title' and see the PDF, but when I press the '1' button to select the PDF the reader reboots.

I did take it to a local Sony shop as I work in central London, but they claim the online Sony is a different company so they could not replace my reader, but they gave me the customer support phone number.

So I have a support reference number with Sony now they are supposed to call me back with some help, I will update when something happens.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:23 AM   #7
babyd
Addict

Sorry to hear you are still having problems. I have had two readers myself, my first one kept resetting randomly and then wiped collections and bookmarks all the time.
My second is much more stable. It does occasionally glitch but nothing major.

Let us know how you get on.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:24 AM   #8
BlackEel

Well, visited another Sony shop, talked to Sony support, they tried to be helpful but basically didnt tell me anything useful. So arranged a return for a new one. Annoying that I have to wait for a new one but its definitely faulty.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You could try reapplying the firmware to the reader. It may be that the firmware installation is faulty.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:17 AM   #10
immac
immac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Minor problem: Yesterday, using Calibre, I downloaded the news pages from BBC and Assoc. Press (AP). As it is a direct download I do not know what format is used. The AP download worked fine, but the BBC download will not let me access it, keeps recycling/rebooting the Reader.
I can see similar problem described above for .pdf files.
I have tried shutting down and restarting - no change.
I would hope to just delete the BBC download, which is unimportant in itself, but because it will not let me in, I can not do that in the only way I know - from within the 'book' utility, which I can't access. Is there another way of deleting this file without wiping the whole memory?
Ian
immac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:36 AM   #11
dzbtrout
dzbtrout began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I am having the same problem. Unable to read any pdf and then the reader keeps rebooting itself. I have found out that unless you remove the pdf you will not be able to reset the reader. I suspect a firmware fault.
dzbtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #12
immac
immac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Other pdf files are working fine. I am assuming the BBC file is a pdf file.
Dzbtrout: do you have a way of removing the file (which will not let me in)?
Ian
immac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:22 AM   #13
dzbtrout
dzbtrout began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by immac View Post
Other pdf files are working fine. I am assuming the BBC file is a pdf file.
Dzbtrout: do you have a way of removing the file (which will not let me in)?
Ian
Hi immac, what i do is i connect the prs to the usb and when it is recognized in "my computer" as a external drive i just browse thru the folders until i find the pdf file. i just delete the culprit, reset and the unit works fine. it is a bummer not being able to read pdf but guess i will have to put up with it.
dzbtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzbtrout View Post
Hi immac, what i do is i connect the prs to the usb and when it is recognized in "my computer" as a external drive i just browse thru the folders until i find the pdf file. i just delete the culprit, reset and the unit works fine. it is a bummer not being able to read pdf but guess i will have to put up with it.
You should contact the Sony or the dealer and get this resolved. You should not have to get used not having a feature that was advertised to work. Try some really simple PDF files and if they don't work then your unit is defective. If the problem is specific to one PDF file then contact Sony or Adobe and send them the non-working sample.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote