Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
toddmp
toddmp doesn't littertoddmp doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW
Bible for Paperwhite/Touch

Hi All, I am new to the Kindle paperwhite/touch eink device and am confused at the world of Bibles for these devices. It seems ridiculously cumbersome to navigate to where you need to go in any of these touch based Bibles. I am used to android apps that have a quick drop down menu wherever you are that allows you to select book/chapter. Is there nothing like this for a kindle eink device? Wouldn't a Bible built as a kindle app/active content give more navigation flexibility?

todd
toddmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Bibles for PW and KK

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmp View Post
Hi All, I am new to the Kindle paperwhite/touch eink device and am confused at the world of Bibles for these devices. It seems ridiculously cumbersome to navigate to where you need to go in any of these touch based Bibles. I am used to android apps that have a quick drop down menu wherever you are that allows you to select book/chapter. Is there nothing like this for a kindle eink device? Wouldn't a Bible built as a kindle app/active content give more navigation flexibility?

todd
These are not as good as the AcroBible App for the Kindle HD7-32 but they do fine for the Kindle PW and KK:

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-NIV...ords=niv+bible

http://www.amazon.com/Bible-Encyclop...dia+for+kindle

I set up bookmarks to the Table of Contents and to the Alphabetic Book listing so I can reach them from anywhere in the NIV Bible and set the Bible Encyclopedia as my Primary Dictionaary. It kidks in when the stantard dictionary does not have the definition.

So far as I know, there are no Active Content Bibles for the PW available yet.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You might try the English Standard Version. It is free.

It allows you to search the index for a specific place. To find Matthew 16:11 you would search for "mt 16 11".
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Doesn't work on PW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
You might try the English Standard Version. It is free.

It allows you to search the index for a specific place. To find Matthew 16:11 you would search for "mt 16 11".
The ESV works fine on my KK but it does not index properly on the PW.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The ESV works fine on my KK but it does not index properly on the PW.
It's supposed to work on the Touch, though. Maybe they'll get it working before I start looking for a PW.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
So do any DVJ bibles work on the PW
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
So do any DVJ bibles work on the PW
I used to buy lots of Osnova DVJ Bibles for my KK. However, they don't work with the PW or the KF.

On the KFHD7-32 I like the AcroBible Android App best.

On the PW I use the Zondervan NIV with two bookmarks always set for the alpha table of contents and the regular table of contents.

There would be a huge market for a DVJ Bible specially for the PW.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
toddmp

Looks like we now have a Kindle Active Content Bible. Have not tried it out yet. Hoping for an ESV from them as well.

http://www.amazon.com/KJV-Bible/dp/B...4125883&sr=1-3

Also in an email with the devs they hint at more translations coming. woohoo!

Last edited by toddmp; 11-28-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard

Does it work with the Paperwhite?

Quote:
Looks like we now have a Kindle Active Content Bible. Have not tried it out yet. Hoping for an ESV from them as well.

http://www.amazon.com/KJV-Bible/dp/B...4125883&sr=1-3

Also in an email with the devs they hint at more translations coming. woohoo!
All the other "Active Content" Bibles I've tried work with the KK but NOT the PW. Have you tried it on the PW yet?
Old 11-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
toddmp

Quote:
All the other "Active Content" Bibles I've tried work with the KK but NOT the PW. Have you tried it on the PW yet?
not yet. I am holding out for an ESV. States clearly that it works with the paperwhite though.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard

Error on opening on the PW.

Quote:
not yet. I am holding out for an ESV. States clearly that it works with the paperwhite though.
It looks like I threw out $ 3.00. I got an error message when I tried to open it on the PW.

I'm a sucker for all kinds of Bibles. It looks like this one is a loser so far.

I'll try it again tomorrow morning. Maybe it takes overnight to index itself.

By the way, there are no refunds on apps and active content. We buy them at our own risk. Caveat Emptor !!

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-28-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #12
toddmp

Quote:
It looks like I threw out $ 3.00. I got an error message when I tried to open it on the PW.

I'm a sucker for all kinds of Bibles. It looks like this one is a loser so far.

I'll try it again tomorrow morning. Maybe it takes overnight to index itself.

By the way, there are no refunds on apps and active content. We buy them at our own risk. Caveat Emptor !!
bummer. email them on their website. they responded to my request in about 5min. http://www.miklalsoftware.com/
Old 11-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
sirmaru
Wizard

Contacted them and uninstalled it.

Quote:
bummer. email them on their website. they responded to my request in about 5min. http://www.miklalsoftware.com/
I just contacted them. I really don't expect that they can help me. No other Kindle Active Content works on the Kindle Paperwhite.

I just uninstalled it. Oh well. I'll know better the next time Active Content is offered.

PS: I was able to get a credit for the defective software. This is on their site: "You can request a refund for items purchased from the Kindle Store within seven days of purchase."

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-29-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
draytonbenner
draytonbenner began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, nook
Bible app (Active Content) for Kindle

I see that our KJV Bible app for e-ink Kindles is being discussed here. We have shared your frustration with using e-book Bibles on e-ink Kindles and have thus taken the route of writing Active Content (apps) so that you will:
  • Know where you are in the Bible as you read
  • See the Bible laid out as it should, including proper layout for poetry
  • Navigate anywhere in the Bible with ease
  • Perform fast searches, both simple and complex, and have the results organized by book/chapter/verse, including being able to navigate to search results by place in the canon
  • Have annotations organized by book/chapter/verse, including being able to navigate to annotations by place in the canon

You can see more screenshots and read a fuller description of our Kindle Active Content KJV Bible on our website.

sirmaru, we're sorry to hear that it's not working on your Paperwhite. As our staff discussed over e-mail, the error message you're receiving is from Amazon, not from us, so something must have gone wrong with the installation. Since no Kindle Active Content is working on your Paperwhite, including other apps that have Paperwhite support, we suspect that something is wrong with your Paperwhite model. Our app did go through Amazon's testing on their Paperwhites as part of the submission process, we purchased our own app and had no troubles on our Paperwhite, and we haven't heard of problems on the Paperwhite from anyone else. If anyone else here has tried our app on the Paperwhite, we'd love to hear your experience.

Sincerely,
Drayton Benner
draytonbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
draytonbenner
draytonbenner began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, nook
DVJ on Kindle Paperwhite

Kindle Paperwhite does support an index for DJV, as present in a number of Bibles, including the ones mentioned earlier in this thread: the ESV (and its cousin The Greek-English Parallel New Testament: English Standard Version), osnova Bibles, Miklal Kindle e-book Bibles, and more.

The process is just a bit different on the Paperwhite, though it's similar to the Touch. Click near the top to see your options, then click on the search button. Type in the shortcut version (e.g. ge 12 3 for Genesis 12:3). To the left, where it says "This Book", change it to the option "Index Items." It will then bring up a list of index items, beginning with the one you typed in. Click on it to go to the verse.

Happy Bible reading!

~Drayton
draytonbenner is offline   Reply With Quote