Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I wonder, Would it work?

I've been wondering something tonight. Amazon owns Mobipocket.com yet DRM's Mobipocket books can't be opened on the kindle. So I wonder what the response would be if he got a petition with a long list of names emailed to him. His email is right on his amazon.com page. Even if he usually has someone read email for him I wager it would get his attention if enough people signed such a document. They don't want people to break DRM but then they have things set up like they do so you have ebooks that you can't read on the Kindle even though Kindle and Mobipocket are both owned by the same company. There is something morally if not legally wrong there. If it was to work with him maybe it would get around and help out the situation in general since I imagine that Kindle probably isn't the only device with some such contradiction.

Last edited by crich70; 04-12-2011 at 12:15 AM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:43 AM   #2
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Getting Bezos to open up the Kindle so customers can buy more of their ebooks from other ebook retailers is like getting Sony or Kobo to use the latest ePub software from Adobe so that they can read books purchased from Barnes & Noble. Sure, it might please some reader owners, but it's not likely to increase the ereader retailer's profits if the users buy the ebooks elsewhere.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 01:56 AM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

True, but Amazon owns Mobipocket so they wouldn't be losing profits to other companies if people bought books at mobipocket.com rather than at Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Getting Bezos to open up the Kindle so customers can buy more of their ebooks from other ebook retailers is like getting Sony or Kobo to use the latest ePub software from Adobe so that they can read books purchased from Barnes & Noble. Sure, it might please some reader owners, but it's not likely to increase the ereader retailer's profits if the users buy the ebooks elsewhere.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
True, but Amazon owns Mobipocket so they wouldn't be losing profits to other companies if people bought books at mobipocket.com rather than at Amazon.
Of course they would. How could they possibly not?
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I've been wondering something tonight. Amazon owns Mobipocket.com yet DRM's Mobipocket books can't be opened on the kindle. So I wonder what the response would be if he got a petition with a long list of names emailed to him. His email is right on his amazon.com page. Even if he usually has someone read email for him I wager it would get his attention if enough people signed such a document. They don't want people to break DRM but then they have things set up like they do so you have ebooks that you can't read on the Kindle even though Kindle and Mobipocket are both owned by the same company. There is something morally if not legally wrong there. If it was to work with him maybe it would get around and help out the situation in general since I imagine that Kindle probably isn't the only device with some such contradiction.
Who is the "him" in your message?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Are there many (any?) books available at mobipocket.com that aren't available via Amazon for the same if not cheaper price?
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Are there many (any?) books available at mobipocket.com that aren't available via Amazon for the same if not cheaper price?
Mobipocket sell a lot of non-English books. Amazon don't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:25 PM   #8
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
There is something morally if not legally wrong there.
Oh really?

It seems to me that having your device capable of accessing as much info as possible is the best way to go long term. Is the spectre of piracy the reason for the lockdown by Amazon? Or does Amazon believe that users will wander towards other bookstores? Amazon just has to let their bots make sure they have the lowest price and display these competitive prices on the Kindle itself, lol, let all other ebook distributors distribute their apps through Amazon's app marketplace, Amazon will just undercut them all.

Most corporations are too shortsighted IMO, the market is no longer needed.

There is something morally wrong with not being allowed access to informative texts.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:26 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

I meant that Amazon owns mobipocket and since they do the money paid out would still be going to Amazon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Of course they would. How could they possibly not?
Old 04-13-2011, 06:28 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

The owner of Amazon, Jeff Bezos. He is the one who started the company anyway from what I understand and I haven't heard anything of it being sold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Who is the "him" in your message?
Old 04-13-2011, 06:30 AM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

The point I was trying to make is that Amazon owns Mobipocket and I already have mobipocket versions of their ebooks that I bought in the past, and I can't see having to pay twice for the same book just because Amazon twists the DRM code so one version works on the Kindle and the other doesn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Old 04-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #12
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
The point I was trying to make is that Amazon owns Mobipocket and I already have mobipocket versions of their ebooks that I bought in the past, and I can't see having to pay twice for the same book just because Amazon twists the DRM code so one version works on the Kindle and the other doesn't.
It's a valid point. Before purchasing a Kindle, I had many books in Mobi format previously purchased for other devices (not to mention PDB files going back to Peanut Press). Scripts for stripping DRM were available and I took advantage of them -- otherwise I wouldn't have purchased a Kindle.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote