Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-16-2010, 03:03 AM   #1
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
FAQ and Uswer Guide for the WiFi Kobo on Chapters site

I have been checking the koboreader.com site and the FAQ and user guide for the new reader are listed, but not yet actually on the site. However, I checked out the Chapters site and there they are!

See: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/kobo-faq/

Big changes to the sleep behaviour--including the choice regarding the cover art some folks have been hoping for. It doesn't look like there will be a go to page # option. Calibre is mentioned repeatedly in the user guide as a way to organize the library and get books onto the reader. PDF's zoom between 100-200% Lots of information about subscriptions to magazines and newspapers. I was confused by one line that said that if you remove a book from the reader, it removes it from your account. I'm assuming you can add anything you lose that way back in like you can now, but it needs clarification, for sure.

PS: The WiFI reader is showing as being in stock in several of the Calgary Chapter's stores--though not, unfortunately, where I live in Red Deer.

Last edited by taming; 10-16-2010 at 03:41 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:31 AM   #2
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Great find. They really need to proof this FAQ though -- I liked the Free Trail -- and revise some of the older questions, such as 'Subscriptions will be available for some magazines and newspapers from Kobo in late May 2010'. Get rid of questions such as 'I can't resize fonts on my Kobo eReader'.

Battery life claims are confusing though. The Comparison from the Kobo eReader site claims 10 days battery life with 10 000 page turns, and this FAQ claims up to two weeks with 8 000 page turns. The Features page from Chapters claims two weeks and 10 000 page turns. It might not make a huge difference, being that battery life differs depending on usage, but still, interesting.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post

Big changes to the sleep behaviour--including the choice regarding the cover art some folks have been hoping for. It doesn't look like there will be a go to page # option. Calibre is mentioned repeatedly in the user guide as a way to organize the library and get books onto the reader.
I'm quite surprised. Go-to is on the top of wish list. There is no need
to improve anything if it fails to do that. I read some kindle forums
and think that wifi is of great help to the manufacturer. The best way
for quick sell. I assume no intermediar PC. Some other poster gave
an insight for wifi and keyboard interface. Not bad idea and no need
for kb like on k3.
Calibre as a default sync method? Double surprise. If true, shows how
badly desktop app failed. If true, how wifi reader would be upgraded?
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Calibre as a default sync method? Double surprise. If true, shows how badly desktop app failed. If true, how wifi reader would be upgraded?
My sense in reading the new user manual was not that it was seen as the default sync, but rather that Kobo was acknowledging its usefulness and ubiquity amongst more advanced users. From what I can tell, sync across devices (for example mobile phones) is only possible for books loaded through the desktop, or by WiFi, and purchased from Kobo books.

Kobo has been very open about its commitment to making ebooks available in a variety of ways and on a varietry of devices. Championing Calibre just seems to make sense given their overall philosophy.

Last edited by taming; 10-16-2010 at 12:45 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:50 AM   #5
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
My sense in reading the new user manual was not that it was seen as the default sync, but rather that Kobo was acknowledging its usefulness and ubiquity amongst more advanced users. From what I can tell, sync across devices (for example mobile phones) is only possible for books loaded through the desktop, or by WiFi, and purchased from Kobo books.
My interest was truly academic, since I sync by the hand. As far as I see,
people complain when application behaves in a complicated manner.
Maybe it cannot be simplyer. I recall myself explaining very complex
matter to the coworker. "Could you tell me that in a few sentences and
simply, to be easy to understand?" No, I could not! The matter is complex
itself and details are what is worth. It took me months to get it myself
and a lot of time to let pieces to find one another. I assume kobo does
the best it/they can. What they miss is the wiki. If they know people have
problem doing this or that, they could solve it once and post to the
internet. I know they already did, but it is not good enough. Or there
would be no-one to scream for help.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm sure everyone has noticed that some books on the kobo only display the number of pages in a chapter rather then the whole book entirely. Could this be the reason for no "go to page" option?
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #7
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
I'm sure everyone has noticed that some books on the kobo only display the number of pages in a chapter rather then the whole book entirely. Could this be the reason for no "go to page" option?
I expect you're right - that the fact that the number of pages in each chapter must be calculated on the fly because the font size is variable. This may make it a very long operation to find where page XYZ is in the book.

However - I would be willing to wait for the calculation time, if the option were there.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
I expect you're right - that the fact that the number of pages in each chapter must be calculated on the fly because the font size is variable. This may make it a very long operation to find where page XYZ is in the book.

However - I would be willing to wait for the calculation time, if the option were there.
Do pdf documents have the same issue with pages per chapter? I wouldn't think so as they are not in the sqlite database. I would mostly use the Goto page for pdf's, so I'd be happy if they started with that only and maybe added goto for epub's later. Most of my pdf's don't have working or complete TOC's so the only option right now is page by slow page.
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote