Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-25-2009, 10:55 AM   #61
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I stumbled across this thread again. It lay dormant for over 2 months and suddenly springs to life. Must be spring!

WDE.
Well, it is a sticky!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #62
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
He probably decided to look beyond the sillyness
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #63
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Two and a half years ago my husband surprised me with an Ebookwise-1150 that a colleague had recommended. He knew what a voracious reader I was and that I loved all things electronic so he saw it as a perfect gift. He was right! The only limitations were the books available in the format I needed. I Googled looking for conversion software and up popped MobileRead! I used the information I found here to help me do what I needed to to make the most of my reader. After two years and my second reader, I finally joined! Thanks MobileRead!
Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #64
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Well, it is a sticky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
He probably decided to look beyond the sillyness
No, I made a post here when I first came to MR. This automatically subscribed me to this post. I've had no reason to unsubscribe to it, but lately it has picked up some new posts and was brought to my attention.

I still like it, and won't unsubscribe.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #65
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Have you paid your subscription renewal?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #66
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Have you paid your subscription renewal?
Let me guess, $300? Or do I get the group session discount for $100?

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #67
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
November 2007... I intended to do my Christmas shopping early, and went to Amazon as I can often find things from my family members' wishlists there.

Lo and behold there on the front page was the Kindle. I saw the part about e-Ink and thought "Wait a minute; is that that electronic paper stuff I heard about in the mid-80's? Are they finally doing something commercial with that? About time! Tell me more!

Triggered the Kindle page. Read all the way down it. Ignored the videos (I was on dial-up at the time) but read every word. It had been out for a few days so I hit Google. Read every review and discussion I could find. Wanted wanted wanted, but wanted to be sure that 400$ wasn't something I was going to be regretting later. Somewhere in there my path kept crossing Mobileread. Noticed all the e-books. Googled for Kindle reviews every week or so. Back at Mobileread, found out about igorsk's Kindle easter eggs post. Tried e-books on Palm T|X to be sure I would honestly like them. Started actual MobileRead account. Got Christmas/Birthday money from relative. Bit my nails over whether a Kindle or a Cybook would be better. Kindle came back in stock. Tax return came in. Decided I could finally afford it. Took the plunge.

I think that's how it happened, anyway.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:59 AM   #68
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I had been staunchly avoinding all information about anything to do with ebooks. I loved my pbooks. LOOOOOOVVVED them.

Then my husband came home this past November with a birthday present for me-- a sony prs-505. My first reaction was to want to scream... I never asked for this, when he had mentioned it at times before, I said NOT INTERESTED. I don't buy books! I use the library.

Well, a few books later, and I was hooked. Throw in the local library with its own collection of ebooks and I was thrilled (thanks to mobileread for helping me find that!). Add in slowly realizing how to get other free books online (again, thanks mobileread!) and I was a very happy camper.

The librarians at my local library have gone from seeing me at least twice a week checking out a huge stack of books each time to seeing me once or twice a month checking out a few books for the kids, and an occasional one for me.

I found mobileread by searching random topics for help having to do with the reader.... and lurked for a bit, gathering info, before officially signing on to do business. I still don't understand half the "tech" stuff posted here, but, slowly, oh so slowly, I am learning one piece of info at a time. I'm quite impressed with myself
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #69
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
I also avoided ebooks, even though I have gadgets for everything else. Then I heard about Kindle, which isn't available in the UK, which started me investigating. I came across MR via google last week when idly wondering when the sony prs 700 would be easily available here ... glad I found it as it helped me realise I don't really want the 700 and motivated me to buy the 505 today. I've had to buy two new bookshelves in the last year, and I don't have space for more so it was definitely time to switch to the new technology!
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:17 PM   #70
searchlight
searchlight began at the beginning.

Device: none
that's a interesting article and i had enough experience browsing thru this article
Thanks a lot
searchlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #71
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I'm going to keep half an eye on this thread to see if anyone comes in here saying that a patient told them about readers - I was showing mine off to a nurse and a consultant whilst I was recovering from a procedure earlier.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #72
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I'm going to keep half an eye on this thread to see if anyone comes in here saying that a patient told them about readers - I was showing mine off to a nurse and a consultant whilst I was recovering from a procedure earlier.
Am - I hope all went well and you are recovering quickly.

It's amazing how many people stop and ask me about my reader. I feel like I should get some of SONY's advertising dollars!! My optometrist was fascinated by it and thought it would be great for some of her older patients who are having eye problems that aren't easily corrected (I'm starting to feel like them, by the way ).
Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #73
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Am - I hope all went well and you are recovering quickly.

It's amazing how many people stop and ask me about my reader. I feel like I should get some of SONY's advertising dollars!! My optometrist was fascinated by it and thought it would be great for some of her older patients who are having eye problems that aren't easily corrected (I'm starting to feel like them, by the way ).
Kaz
Thanks Kaz - it went fine, and I'm recovering well, although for some reason I'm not supposed to use things like kettles!!

I've had quite a few people look at mine on the Underground, but no-one really talks to one another down there!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #74
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
For me it was some years ago, when I began to be weary of reading my ebooks on my laptop or on my PocketPC... I then searched on the web for a reader device with a bigger screen, but was stopped by the price of a thing that served only to read books (compared to a PocketPC, it was really a luxury !)
From time to time I was tempted, but for the price !...
And finally, in January of this year, I decided to take the plunge for my Cybook !
Just after my order, I joined MR !

So for me, gadget first, then MR ! (even though your comparison matrix helped me for my choice ! )
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #75
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Eink brought me here. I first learned about on either Engadget or Gizmondo and when I heard Sony was lauching the 500 I had to just find out more about the device and the tech. behind it. So a search on google lead me to this place, which is filled with a lot of useful information and helpful people! So now i can't help but keep coming back for the latest news on electronic readers.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote