Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #76
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Operating systems shouldn't impact whether or not you can read an ebook. Standardized, non-restricted formats and reading apps for all OSs are what we should be striving for, so it won't matter whether you are using OSX, Windows 7 or Ubuntu.

(That, of course, is the point of this thread.)
I think everyone agrees that it would be nice, but developing an app takes time and (usually) money (very dependent on the platform). Not every platform is worth the effort.

Meanwhile, unless you are a developer and have time to make an app, the best option would be to choose a platform that you know has good support.

Quote:
Anyway... as I've said before, I don't want anyone to misconstrue my comments as iPad-bashing... they are not. If anything, they are bandwagon-bashing. Bandwagon-obsession allows other devices to be under-served, and causes a lot of needless chaos when a new bandwagon comes along.
One thing to ponder is that bandwagons mean standards, and standards mean the developers don't have to learn every single thing over and over. It means they can build more and better software, faster and cheaper. It's pretty hard to "stand on the shoulders of giants" if the giants come tumbling down every time a new device comes out with a radically different ecosystem and development platform.

That's a big part of the double-edged sword that is the iPhone OS. It's been very easy for developers to get things done because the platform was hardened completely by Apple, but that also leaves it locked down.

I don't think there are enough developers yet with the time and energy to cover all the platforms available. The mobile OS market is too fragmented at this point. Some of these platforms NEED to die off.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #77
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
this bandwagon-bashing is directed at content producers... not at consumers. I don't criticize anyone for choosing a device that works for them, and enjoying it. But I caution against allowing the device to draw users into proprietary products and formats that will be a lot of trouble to replace later. Hopefully books-as-apps won't catch on, but they are out there. DRM-laden ePubs are out there. I sympathize with anyone, in the future, who discovers they cannot move their book to their new InfiniPod (or whatever) that doesn't support that format of DRM scheme. And I hope most people manage to avoid it.
I am certain, Steve, that you would not bash someone for using a device they find useful, and that fits their needs. And while there is some Kindle bashing on MR, I have not seen the type and extent of iPad user bashing here.

It seems acceptable to some to equate a person finding a gadget they find fits their need to "someone willing to be fleeced in order to be part of the in-crowd". or a fanboi.

Nonsense! I have owned several ebook readers (and I imagine I will own more) and have found value in all of them. I have not owned an apple computer in over 15 years. And I knew exactly what I was getting when I purchased my iPad. And the one thing I knew I was absolutely NOT purchasing was membership in the in-crowd.

Quote:
Hopefully books-as-apps won't catch on, but they are out there
Don't be frightened. There are lots of horrible ideas that have and are "out there". This is one of the horriblier ones, and it ain't going anywhere but to the dustbin next to the pocket fisherman.

Quote:
DRM-laden ePubs are out there
So were DRM laden audio files. Don't see much of them anymore. And most DRM-laden epubs are trivial to free. The publishing industry will either recognize the futility of trying to wrap their files in Double Top Secret encryption, or lose to piracy.

Quote:
I sympathize with anyone, in the future, who discovers they cannot move their book to their new InfiniPod (or whatever) that doesn't support that format of DRM scheme. And I hope most people manage to avoid it.
Me too. But bashing one device over another ain't going to change anything. All devices have the same feature. Either they cannot use DRM ebooks (thereby frustrating users who can't read the best seller DRM'd ebooks) or they do use DRM ebooks (thereby causing frustration for not being able to use the ebook on a newer or replacement device.)

Or they come to MR and discover that no matter what device they use, they can get around the DRM scam.

The last thing they need is someone telling them the device they chose makes them look stupid and their butt look big.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #78
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
karma for Donnageddon!
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #79
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I read with interest today that the iPhone is now resoundingly in third place, after Blackberry and Android. Mostly due to lack of choice of hardware and service providers, and Apple’s policy of dictating what can and cannot be done with your own very expensive property.

With the plethora of Android tablets on the horizon, I see the iPad going the same way.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #80
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Or they come to MR and discover that no matter what device they use, they can get around the DRM scam.
MR members aren't allowed to link to DRM breaking scripts or talk about how it's done, so I don't think we're all that helpful on this point. A lot of noobs can't figure out how to do it based on our circuitous postings.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #81
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

nickie, often just knowing that you can rid your file of DRM, a mention of the name of the tool, and a nudge toward google is enough.

I've seen it happen many a time. Heck it happened for me!
Old 05-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #82
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
nickie, often just knowing that you can rid your file of DRM, a mention of the name of the tool, and a nudge toward google is enough.

I've seen it happen many a time. Heck it happened for me!
Shh! Shhh! You trying to get us all in the soup?!?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #83
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Is it the voice of envy that my ears perceive?
Not really - it's not available in the UK until the end of this month, and my "oooh! shiny!" thoughts are fading now. I may look at it again when the next version's out, or when my Sony packs in
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #84
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

See what you did, Steve? You rubbed ShortNCuddlyAm's shiny right off!
Old 05-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #85
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
What does that mean? Not supporting ancient software is a bad thing?
That's exactly what Apple did when they launched Os X, which is, in my humble opinion, part of what helped them rise from wherever they were buried to where they are now. Sometimes you have to just draw the line, make a clean break and start fresh. If it's as kick-ass as they say they will definately sell a sh*tload of devices, which will then make it interesting for developers to program for it / port their old software.

What I have seen of windows mobile 7 looks awesome and really did capture the spirit of what made the iPhone interface so revolutionary. It's not the animations, it's the entire feel of the device. Something that all those swish swoosh boing front-ends by HTC have not been able to transmit.

But as cool as windows mobile 7 may be, I will stick with the iPhone OS platform for my mobile devices. Unless Microsoft will make it as easy for me to sync with my macs. Then I might reconsider. Because I find the wm7 interface extremely cool and sleek.
Please, PLEASE do not call it "Windows Mobile 7". It is not Windows Mobile. Neither in name nor spirit! It is Windows Phone 7.

Anyway... well if you like the iPhone OS, then you would probably like Windows Phone 7. That's the whole point. Microsoft took this route so they could steal away some of Apple's thunder. Personally I dislike iPhone OS, and see Phone 7 as striping away everything that made Microsoft's mobile offering interesting and unique.

The bigger problem is that Windows Phone 7 will not be backwards compatible in any way. At least the early versions of OS X included "Classic", so Mac users could run their existing applications until the new OS had enough support to stand on its own. And consider that out of all the handheld operating systems, Windows Mobile has the best ebook format support. And just the best format support in general.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #86
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Is it the voice of envy that my ears perceive?
Not in the least - I am very happy with my Sony and have my eyes on an other reader. Don't know that I am that interested in the iPad. I just like making fun.

Anyone who has one and is happy with it - cool. Enjoy it. I just don't see it as the bees knees.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:29 AM   #87
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
Anyone who has one and is happy with it - cool. Enjoy it. I just don't see it as the bees knees.
An admirable position. I still enjoy my Sony for portable reading. The iPad stays at home.

I don't see the nook, or my kindle to be the bees knees, but I also know they are great functional readers, and find no reason to degrade them, or their users.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:04 AM   #88
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
An admirable position. I still enjoy my Sony for portable reading. The iPad stays at home.

I don't see the nook, or my kindle to be the bees knees, but I also know they are great functional readers, and find no reason to degrade them, or their users.
Well, the Kindle is still a very ugly device... Normally, I'd say "I find it a very ugly device", but in this case, that's not enough!

(it used to drive our granny nuts! haven't seen her in a while, though )

All jokes besides, what I wrote above is what can make me very angry. People are generally generalizing. They find something terrible, and thus everybody should find it terrible. Or they find something perfect and thus, everybody should find it perfect.

In case of the Ipad, apperently, there simply isn't a middle way. Either a person is crazy about it and only points out its strong points, or a person finds only flaws with it. I've not really found any review that points out both.

(I still think it would have been a great device if it had a card reader, USB ports and a more flexible OS, one that doesn't allow one company to censure what you use on it).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:33 AM   #89
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
In case of the Ipad, apperently, there simply isn't a middle way. Either a person is crazy about it and only points out its strong points, or a person finds only flaws with it. I've not really found any review that points out both.

(I still think it would have been a great device if it had a card reader, USB ports and a more flexible OS, one that doesn't allow one company to censure what you use on it).
You haven't found a review that points out the good and the bad?

Read your own words! You did a great job, and I agree with them all!

It is great device, except for what it doesn't have!

Perfect!

I am waiting for the perfect device. But I am pretty certain when it arrives, it will slip through my fingers, and splatter on the floor.

... And even then, it will be obsolete 6 months later.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:38 AM   #90
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

And I also agree that to my eye, the kindle is an ugly device, But I find their users beautiful, and charming.

Except for Donnageddon, he is an eyesore, and kind of a jackass.

Tags
bandwagon, ipad, proprietary