Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #166
preempalver
Connoisseur
preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: PocketBook pro 603 (Leggo IBS fw PB 2.1.3)
probably it helps the dictionary to understand the characters... I'm not sure though. I'm not sure either if the font used by the dictionary is complete or some unicode fonts are missing. I noticed some characters from the phonetic alphabet were missing. luckily some chars were existing glyphs, like "e" or "i", then a substitution solved the problem. but others were missing.

Last edited by preempalver; 04-25-2011 at 04:20 PM.
preempalver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:38 AM   #167
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
So the question becomes: Can we select that font ? Is it the same font we choose for the interface ?
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 04:38 AM   #168
preempalver
Connoisseur
preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Unfortunately no, it's not the same font, my guess is it's coded into converter.exe and cannot be changed. So, even if we manage to create a collates.txt for a syllabic alphabet like Japanese (not tried yet ) the glyphs will not be displayed. This is perhaps a reason why there are only dictionaries with european glyphs, it's by software design.

Last edited by preempalver; 04-26-2011 at 04:40 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #169
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
Mis-Design you mean, I don't believe its on purpose just another overlooked detail we'll have little luck getting them to fix soon.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:26 AM   #170
willyloco
Nameless Being

I did a conversion of my dictionary files to .txt. Then I edited the diacritis characters and replaced them an dreconverted this to .dic. Which after all works fine.

Now some of the dictionaries however are listed in the dictionary menu on PB as (dictionary with no name). In windows explorer and in PB the files have their real name.

Any idea how I could change this?
Advert
Old 04-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #171
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Sounds like the input file is missing some descriptor or metadata the converter looks for; maybe comparing the original unedited version to the new one...?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #172
KoenP
KoenP began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Pro 603
I bought PocketBook Pro 603. I have tried to find info about how to install dictionary (English-Dutch in my case). In this threat I find some links, but only very technical. Probably easy for programmers, but I'm just a user without any technical knowledge. Could anyone tell me how to find the informatie about wich files to transfer to the memory and where?
KoenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #173
Tvar
Tvar began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 903
Hi, I'm having some problems with the collates and morphemes files and hope someone will be able to shed some light on this issue. One of the problems is similar to that of Galina earlier in the thread, viz. the missing symbols in Longman. I noticed in an English dictionary that ʊ was replaced by a square and therefore I added an ʊ after Ʊ in the "U" line of the collates.txt file and recompiled the .dic-file, but that didn't help. Does anyone know why?

I also have some problems, more annoying ones, with Finnish and German. The last two letters of the Finnish alphabet are ä and ö. So I removed those from the A and O lines and added two new lines at the end of the file containing "ä=Ä" and "ö=Ö", thinking that it would take care of things. But it didn't.

In German ä, ö and ü are not separate letters but considered variants of a, o and u, so they should be in the A, O and U lines. Fine, they are.

But when I try to look up words containing these letters, both in German and in Finnish, these letters are considered separate words when I try to mark them with the stylus, which makes it quite troublesome to look up words like ääni.

Does anyone know how to solve this?
Tvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #174
preempalver
Connoisseur

For the missing characters, the problem is probably the font used by dictionary application.
the font is Liberation Sans, the default one for the menu. The problem is:
1) It's not an all-purpose Unicode character, so it doesn't embed all the glyphs for many languages. that's the squares.
2) No matter if you change the default font with one of your choice, because in the dictionary app it doesn't change, which is why I guess the font is directly called by the application executable.
Atango suggested a procedure in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131180
so he solved his issues with Korean dictionary and customized Korean menu.

For the collates.txt problem, could you please post your collates, keyboard and morphems.txt?
Old 05-22-2011, 03:28 AM   #175
Tvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by preempalver View Post
[...]
Atango suggested a procedure in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131180
Thanks, I'll try that.

Quote:
For the collates.txt problem, could you please post your collates, keyboard and morphems.txt?
I just noticed that I only have this problem with epub books. I suppose this is related to the fact that there are no settings available for epubs in the PB903. With html, doc and some others, where I can change the settings (font, encoding etc.), all letters with diacritics (ä, ö, é etc.) are correctly interpreted for what they are.

So I guess I need to find a way either to get inside the epub files and change something or to convert them into some other format such as fb2. Any suggestions?

Edit: Some googling has made me think that I should be able to read epub books with the fbreader without problems. Now I only need to figure out how to select reader ...

Edit 2: ... which I have done now. (I suppose I was too eager to start reading instead of getting to know the reader properly first )

Last edited by Tvar; 05-22-2011 at 04:32 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:40 AM   #176
Tvar

Quote:
Edit:
new version with better morphems and keyboard with touchscreen support. [link to VocabolarioItaliano.zip]
Lots of interesting stuff in this thread. This one I missed at first. Could you please post instructions on how to add touchscreen support to the dic files keyboards? Something in keyboard.txt? That would be very appreciated.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #177
preempalver
Connoisseur

True, this thread is reeeally long
you're right, there are some changes in the keyboard.txt file format. I don't know though if there were changes in converter.exe also.
This is the converter I've used:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...53&postcount=1

If you look into english keyboard.txt you'll see the little differences.
Basically keyboard.txt has a new section where you place characters, arranged in 3 or 4 rows separated by spaces, as well as special keys like shift, backspace and so on.
It's quite easy to adapt a keyboard to our needs.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #178
Tvar

Thanks, preempalver. A great improvement to my dictionaries.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #179
mrsmac
mrsmac began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenP View Post
I bought PocketBook Pro 603. I have tried to find info about how to install dictionary (English-Dutch in my case). In this threat I find some links, but only very technical. Probably easy for programmers, but I'm just a user without any technical knowledge. Could anyone tell me how to find the informatie about wich files to transfer to the memory and where?
I've had my 360 for months now and I'm in the same boat. I keep coming back to this post, reading through all the pages, trying to figure out how to switch the default Eng-Rus translator to an English dictionary. I've downloaded the converter and dictionary files from the PB website multiple times with no success at actually getting an English dictionary, and end up deleting everything from my computer. I obviously am also a user without technical knowledge!

Finally I gave up and decided I just wanted to read books. And I can download and transfer them just fine, so that's what I do. My good old Merriam-Webster with the duct tape on the spine still serves its purpose.

I have learned A LOT from reading this forum, and there are many helpful people here, thank you so much! Overall, however, owning the 360 has, for me, been a very frustrating experience.
mrsmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #180
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmac View Post
I've had my 360 for months now and I'm in the same boat. I keep coming back to this post, reading through all the pages, trying to figure out how to switch the default Eng-Rus translator to an English dictionary. I've downloaded the converter and dictionary files from the PB website multiple times with no success at actually getting an English dictionary, and end up deleting everything from my computer. I obviously am also a user without technical knowledge!

Finally I gave up and decided I just wanted to read books. And I can download and transfer them just fine, so that's what I do. My good old Merriam-Webster with the duct tape on the spine still serves its purpose.

I have learned A LOT from reading this forum, and there are many helpful people here, thank you so much! Overall, however, owning the 360 has, for me, been a very frustrating experience.

You don't need technical knowledge to install a dictionary. I am not a computer person but I did it. So can you.
1) There are many dictionaries in .dic format that you can download. No need to convert one, especially English dictionaries, provided you don't think about copy-right issues too much.
2) Drag the dictionaries to the dictionary folder on PB
3) Open a book, click the button you use for dictionary, a window will pop up.
4) One icon on the top of the pop-up window is for changing default dictionary settings. Click that icon and choose your dictionary from the list.
Hope it helps.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote