Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-10-2008, 11:42 PM   #1
marussell01
marussell01 began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Linking to other files from HTML doc?

Basically what I want to do is create an HTML document (or documents) that shows all the ebooks on my iLiad with links to them so that I can open them from one location (rather than having to navigate a directory structure. And I don't consider throwing them all in one directory a solution)

I've seen two different posts related to this topic, one of them says yes one of them says no, but neither really had much detail. So my question is can I create an HTML document that contains links to say a bunch of mobipocket eBooks such that if I click on the link it will open the ebook?

When I tried with a simple html doc and relative paths <a href="filename"/> it errors out with a message: /tmp/bogus.prc could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

I've seen a post that says files can be read with a full path though the examples did *not* include an ebook. If so, what would be the path to the root of the various devices (cf, sd, usb, etc)?

Last question, if it is impossible to link using a html file are there any other possibilities? Or would I have to write my own application to accomplish what I want? Alternately has someone already written something like this?

Thanks,
mark

Reference posts:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=html+link
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=html+link

Last edited by marussell01; 01-10-2008 at 11:45 PM. Reason: added links
marussell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
I don't know if it's possible using HTML, but I can tell that using inter-linked PDFs doesn't work. The iLiad doesn't open a PDF file from within another PDF.

Last edited by -Thomas-; 01-14-2008 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Grammar...
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
marussell01
marussell01 began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
new approach

Pretty much given up on the idea of using HTML for this. It looks like the only real way to do this is using manifest.xml files and lots of directories.

I've started designing an application to help me build an ordered directory structure. My thoughts so far is that you'll add all your books to the app. Define title & author information (hopefully I can write code to read some of this from the mobipocket files themselves). Then after adding all the books, you go to a seperate part of the app and define how you want the generated directory structure to look like. I think I've got a design that will allow me to create a fairly fancy directory structure (including grouping books by genre, author, whatever).

Still in the process of pinning down my UI, but I've investigated the manifest stuff enough to know that this can be done (without copying the book itself into a dozen different places.)

The benefit, once I get it working, will be that there is nothing to install on the iLiad. You'll just copy the generated directory structure to your iLiad and then use the iLiad to browse the books.
marussell01 is offline   Reply With Quote