Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Globe&Mail: The rise of the e-book lending library (and the death of e-book pirating)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1912797/

In the Globe and Mail print edition, the title is: "Why don't people pirate digital books? (They don't have to, because e-book users are banding together and creating their own sites to swap titles)"

From the same paper: e-Lending library favourites.
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I like the idea behind those sites, automating the lending features of various ereaders, the Kindle notably.

I can't imagine that the Kindle team didn't imagine services like these springing up the day after they implemented the lending feature. But I do wonder if they imagined the size that these services are capable of growing into. It's now almost trivial for the operator or anyone really to alter the flow of these lent books into a DRM stripper for reupload.

But in theory, this should not even have to be done. Type in what book you want and have it lent into your ereader. Pay what you will when you can.

I fear the creators/publishers will soon turn off the lending feature of their kindle books, but maybe my fears are unfounded, only time will tell.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
even if the kindle's lending option was turned off, i'm sure users could find other means to lend ebooks. people are versatile like that. besides, if they want to encourage ebooks, i don't think they should stifle lending, which has been around for so long D:
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Considering you can only share a book once, I am dubious that Kindle/Nook lending libraries have a long shelf life...
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote