Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-04-2014, 12:50 AM   #16
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I can now confirm this issue with Libre Baskerville on several of the Kindle devices, including PPW and K3. PPW view (this is a screenshot from Previewer just because it's easier, but it's the same on the device) attached.

Dgatwood:

I don't know if this is a stem value issue. (I'm not yet at the point where I can adapt fonts. I'm still only halfway through Bringhurst.) Honestly, it's a bit odd that it looks fine on all other devices (Fire, HD, etc.) but goes utterly wonk on two of the e-ink KF8 devices. We'll investigate, but..I thought that the OP might want to know that our shop has just encountered this, also, just this day. We've confirmed this on real device testing, to include the Keyboardless (the K3 replacement sans Keyboard, whatever they are calling that now).

We are testing on this now; this is the first book in which we've encountered this issue for a Baskerville font. We have seen similar things with some other fonts, but this one, on this font, is new to us.

Hitch
That looks like an amazingly extreme version of what I've seen in fonts whose stem values were wrong. Usually, it results in random letters being too high or low by a couple of pixels, and slightly distorted.

Or it could be that the hinting is completely and utterly out to lunch, in which case, a conversion service that does autohinting might fix the problem by nuking the bad hinting.

Either way, glad you have a solution that works for you, and it is definitely worth contacting the font maintainers, because as you said, I'm sure you're not the only one running into this by any stretch of the imagination, and the problem really needs to be fixed globally.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:52 AM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatwood View Post
That looks like an amazingly extreme version of what I've seen in fonts whose stem values were wrong. Usually, it results in random letters being too high or low by a couple of pixels, and slightly distorted.

Or it could be that the hinting is completely and utterly out to lunch, in which case, a conversion service that does autohinting might fix the problem by nuking the bad hinting.

Either way, glad you have a solution that works for you, and it is definitely worth contacting the font maintainers, because as you said, I'm sure you're not the only one running into this by any stretch of the imagination, and the problem really needs to be fixed globally.
Interestingly, we've seen this, or things like it, in KP before, particularly (n.b.) with Adobe fonts. I'll reach out to the foundry/designers and let them know about it, I think I still have the screenshots and all that around here.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:28 AM   #18
verydeepwater
verydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Ipad and Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch
we used "everythingfonts.com"... We thought we'd see if there was a quickie, before we essentially redesigned and redid the font, and by Jove, to my everlasting surprise (okay, at least through dinner), it worked.
I wasn't quite sure what was mean by reconverting the font, so I used everythingsfonts.com to convert the .ttf files to open type, and then converted the .otf files back to .ttf. Is this what you meant by reconverting the font?

Anyway I found these new .ttf files worked both on kindlepreviewer and on an e-ink kindle 3, so it appears to have worked.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by Jellby; 04-07-2014 at 03:36 AM. Reason: fixed markup
verydeepwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:18 AM   #19
verydeepwater
verydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Ipad and Kindle Fire
Quote:
dgatwood provided me with a version of the font files, which he had edited and which work perfectly on the e-ink kindles.

Last edited by Jellby; 04-07-2014 at 03:37 AM. Reason: fixed markup
verydeepwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by verydeepwater View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch
we used "everythingfonts.com"... We thought we'd see if there was a quickie, before we essentially redesigned and redid the font, and by Jove, to my everlasting surprise (okay, at least through dinner), it worked.
I wasn't quite sure what was mean by reconverting the font, so I used everythingsfonts.com to convert the .ttf files to open type, and then converted the .otf files back to .ttf. Is this what you meant by reconverting the font?

Anyway I found these new .ttf files worked both on kindlepreviewer and on an e-ink kindle 3, so it appears to have worked.

Thank you very much.
Yes, basically, although a bit simpler; we dl'ed the otf versions and converted those to ttf at that site and it worked.

Hitch

Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:05 AM   #21
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by verydeepwater View Post
Quote:
dgatwood provided me with a version of the font files, which he had edited and which work perfectly on the e-ink kindles.
Okay, then the problem was, in fact, the stem values. Either that or Fontographer autohinted the font when I re-exported it. Not sure which. Either way, it should be trivial for the font designers to fix the problem.

BTW, technically speaking, to properly comply with the font's license, you should probably rename it, since you're technically redistributing a modified version of an SIL font, even if the modifications are trivial.

dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
embedded fonts, kindle e-ink