Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
Mike13579
Mike13579 began at the beginning.

Device: none yet :D
Looking for a Sub $200 basic reader.

Hi all, new here but have been reading for a little bit.

I'm looking for my first E book Reader, and just that a reader, not one with all of the fancy extras like internet and note taking. I'm trying to find one that is less than $200. One very important is how the books are organized, i read a lot of series which have multiple books each, and what I'm looking for is a way to have the series in one location like folders or something. The three i have been looking at are the

Kobo E-Reader (not available here yet)
Sony PRS300
Bookeen Cybook Opus

I was hoping you guys could help me. Thanks for your feedback.
Mike13579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
FYI; the Sony PRS600 is now available for $199 at most places (certainly at Borders with free delivery).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Don't know about Kobo, but the Sony's use collections (kind of like a playlist) which works good for organizing. The Opus has full folders which work great.

The Opus doesn't support bookmarks (it remembers where you last read, but you can't mark multiple pages) or multi level tables of contents if that makes a difference. AFAIK the Sony's use a slightly older ePub software and doesn't have the justification support the Opus does.

I personally don't like the center page turn button on the Sony 300 and prefer the side buttons on the Opus (the accelerometer lets you turn the device to re-orient the buttons). That's a personal preference thing though.

Can't really go wrong with either Sony or with the Opus.

You don't say where you are, but if you're in the US, Canada, the UK you should be able to find the Sony's in store to give them a try (not sure about other countries).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Since money is an object, I suggest that you not make up your mind without considering the Aluratek Libre and the jetbook Lite.

The Astak EZ Reader basic is now on sale for $175. It turns pages slowly, but so far that's my only complaint.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
FYI; the Sony PRS600 is now available for $199 at most places (certainly at Borders with free delivery).
And the cover is $15.

You won't get a better reader at that low a price. Plus it is a 6" screen and not a 5" screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
And I just paid that for a refurb 600 from Woot!

That's a great price!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Right now, woot has refurbished PRS-300s for $109. You will sill need to buy a proper cover for it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:36 AM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I personally don't like the center page turn button on the Sony 300 and prefer the side buttons on the Opus (the accelerometer lets you turn the device to re-orient the buttons).
Same here. Sony 300 is the only SOny reader I don't like. Very much prefer Cybook Opus or PocketBook 360 over Sony 300.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #9
mitchwah
Connoisseur
mitchwah is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook Lite, Ematic 7" eReader
I've looked at the Sony PRS300 during my research and what I didn't like about it is it's limited storage with no expansion slot. I know this isn't an issue considering that ebooks only ranges up to approx 3MB but still I would like the option to store books in an SD card for convenience.

I agree with Russel and suggest you consider the Jetbooks, too.

I've had my jetbook-Lite for 5 months now and it was the best device I've bought, like ever. Budget was an object for me also at the time and after hours of research, learned the jetbook-Lite has everything I need at the right price ($119, free shipping at Newegg).

What I like about the Lite other than the price, is that it uses 4AA batteries which enables me to replace them easily with an extra set when power is drained and I don't have to plug and wait for it to recharge. It can also read numerous ebook formats. It also comes with an SD card slot, so transferring files is convenient, too coz you can do it wirelessly with a card reader.

However, you may also have to invest in AA battery sets if you don't have them in stock and the screen of the jetbook-Lite has a grayish tint to it as oppose to the more white-ish screen on readers that uses e-ink. The pro in TFT screen on the Jetbook however is there is no flash in between page turns. It is instantaneous.

Just my 2 cents.
mitchwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:50 AM   #10
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Give a good look a alurtek libre pro , excellent file support , epub drm support and nice compact portable size 159.00 regular price and as low 129.00 on sale at newegg and Frys from time to time.
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote