Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
volvik
volvik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle WiFi
Kindle3 Audible Book not playing Chapters in order?

A friend of mine just finished 'listening' to an audible book (The Help) and offered it to me to try. The book was in one folder (The Help - Kathryn Stocket) and there is a .jpg of the book cover and then 15 mp3 files names The Help 01.mp3 and so on up to The Help 15.mp3.

I put the book within the Audible folder on my Kindle and it shows up when I turn it on however when I play the book it doesn't start from Chapter 1 and whatever chapter it does begin with it doesn't go to the next consecutive chapter. It's almost as if the chapters are in 'shuffle' mode.

Help.....
volvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
volvik

Solved.......I hope

I was unable to located any utility that would convert *.mp3 files to *.aa format. Audible.com's .aa format is proprietary and not open source.

Well after several hours reading, experimenting blah blah I think I may have this problem solved.

I used an mp3 joiner utility and combined all the m3 files in the audio book into one and then placed the new single file into a folder with the book's name and copied that folder into the Audible folder of the Kindle that way you would normally do.

When I started the Kindle the book indeed showed up, along with the cover art, however instead of each chapter listed it only showed the one file.

I then started that file and voila.....it plays from the very beginning just fine. Concerned that the 'bookmark' feature may not function as the file is an *.mp3 and not an *.aa file I PAUSED the audio book, turned the Kindle off and the restarted it, returned to the book it started playing in the same spot where I had left off.

I also used tried PAUSING the audio book and used a different function of the Kindle (reading a different book and also playing a different audio book) and again, when I returned to the book I had paused, hit play, it continued playing that audio book without losing it's place.

So far I'm very happy.....

Again, I only had to do this with an audio book that was bought from a different source than Amazon's Audible.com and was in *.mp3 format instead of Audible.com's *.aa

Last edited by volvik; 08-29-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Adding comment
Advert
Old 08-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
If you put the files into the \audible directory, then they are in your home page - sort by title and play one at a time; you can see the title on the home page and select the proper one.

If they are playing as MP3's and in 'shuffle', then you accidentally put them into the \music folder.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
volvik

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
If you put the files into the \audible directory, then they are in your home page - sort by title and play one at a time; you can see the title on the home page and select the proper one.

If they are playing as MP3's and in 'shuffle', then you accidentally put them into the \music folder.
Interesting however that didn't seem to work for me. The files were always placed in the Audible folder etc however if I stopped playing the audio book when I returned and hit play it would not continue at the same point where it had left off. I suppose if I wanted to ensure I read a full chapter/file at a time and then restarted by manually picking the next chapter it would work.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
Charlie Dog
Charlie Dog began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
The Kindle plays Audible books just fine. I have been using it daily, exclusively, for this purpose for over a year and never experienced ANY problems.......BUT............. afaik it only plays Audible Books, aa or aax format................NOT................any format...........audio book.

It will also play mp3s using the.......... "experimental" .............music player.........which is for music not audio books.
Charlie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool take a look

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvik View Post
A friend of mine just finished 'listening' to an audible book (The Help) and offered it to me to try. The book was in one folder (The Help - Kathryn Stocket) and there is a .jpg of the book cover and then 15 mp3 files names The Help 01.mp3 and so on up to The Help 15.mp3.

I put the book within the Audible folder on my Kindle and it shows up when I turn it on however when I play the book it doesn't start from Chapter 1 and whatever chapter it does begin with it doesn't go to the next consecutive chapter. It's almost as if the chapters are in 'shuffle' mode.

Help.....
try this thread in a cnet forum:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7595_102-244048.html
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Dog View Post
The Kindle plays Audible books just fine. I have been using it daily, exclusively, for this purpose for over a year and never experienced ANY problems.......BUT............. afaik it only plays Audible Books, aa or aax format................NOT................any format...........audio book.

It will also play mp3s using the.......... "experimental" .............music player.........which is for music not audio books.
Incorrect.

It does now and has since the original Kindle, play audiobooks in the MP3 format. Controls are the same as with an Audible book (whether or not it has chapters in an MP3 is up to the creator). It doesn't "show the cover" and I have no idea what it would do if you just dropped a zip file with the MP3's into the \audible directory. You are supposed to put each file into the \audible file. They show in the home page, named the same as the MP3 file name (there is no metadata). You scroll down, pick out the chapter you want and play it.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
try this thread in a cnet forum:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7595_102-244048.html
That's really only relevant to an iPod, since the Kindle can't play M4B formats.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool drat

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
That's really only relevant to an iPod, since the Kindle can't play M4B formats.
oh well, i tried.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote