Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
John Ringo on why he goes with drm-free ebooks (or: How to use the English Language)

Love him or hate him for his often controversial novels and articles, Mr. Ringo is always stating his positions fearlessly and makes for very interesting reading, whether on sf conventions, politics, war or whatever...

In his latest post related to the Scribd controversy he explains why he chooses to ride the ebook wave.

Quote:

"But the music industry is the model that publishers and many writers are following. 'The Wave is Coming! Build the Seawalls Higher! Create Dykes! Stop the Wave! DRM is Your Friend!'

And as is becoming apparent, the mp3 wave is crushing them.

Ebooks are a wave. I grew up, mostly, in Florida. I learned to ride waves, literally, before my first conscious memory. I also learned that there are three ways to deal with waves:

You can fight it and it will crush you.

You can let it pass and lose all it's benefits.

Or you can try to ride it. It may still crush you, but if you ride it right it will carry you safe to shore. (And it's a hell of a ride.)

I don't want to be passed by. I don't want to be crushed. My only choice is to ride. I may live or die riding, but I will have taken the only viable choice."

Whole post here:

http://johnringo.com/Abyss/Default.asp
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:24 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
You can let it pass and lose all it's benefits.
I find it rather scary that a man who is a professional writer doesn't know how to use apostrophes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I find it rather scary that a man who is a professional writer doesn't know how to use apostrophes.
You should see his comments and rants in his Baen Bar forum Ringo's Tavern.
He once posted a very long stream of consciousness excerpt from a book his muse was whispering to him, almost as he was writing it...
I guess that where editors are still useful to get a finished product to us
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Heh, it is a case in point for the value of copy-editors, isn't it?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:06 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
When I'm in stream-of-consciousness writing mode, *I* have problems remembering when to use "its" and "it's". And a blog is *supposed* to be more casual.

Derek

Quote:
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I find it amusing that you, who consistently uses the wrong conjugation of verbs, are criticizing him.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:35 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, HarryT's British, they talk funny over there () ... and they try to keep the English language "pure" -- that's why I just speak "American," it saves a lot of bother.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #8
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Well, HarryT's British, they talk funny over there () ... and they try to keep the English language "pure" -- that's why I just speak "American," it saves a lot of bother.
NarCh, that's the "Queen's" English they speak.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:22 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I find it amusing that you, who consistently uses the wrong conjugation of verbs, are criticizing him.
Such as what, for example? Please do tell me if I'm getting things wrong; if I don't know, I can't put them right!
Old 09-11-2007, 10:25 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Such as what, for example? Please do tell me if I'm getting things wrong - if I don't know, I can't put them right!
Harry, don't worry about it. You're doing fine. But then I have a major advantage over the others here. My wife is from Scotland and I've learned a lot about British English vs. American English. And neither is better then the other. Just different.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:28 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm not worried Jon, just curious. I'd like to think that my grammar is reasonably good. If Nate thinks that I'm conjugating my verbs consistently wrongly I'd genuinely like to know what he perceives the problem to be. Either I'm getting it wrong, or he's getting it wrong or, as you say, it's a difference between US and UK English. Whichever way it is, I'd like to know .
Old 09-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Such as what, for example? Please do tell me if I'm getting things wrong; if I don't know, I can't put them right!
You do it so consistently that I wasn't going to say anything. But then you commented on his errors, so it gave me an opportunity to bring up yours. It looks like you only do it with corporations and websites. Here are a couple examples:

Have iRex given you any indication of when you're likely to get your iLiad, Martin?

amazon.co.uk don't sell eBooks at all, AFAIK.

According to the middle school english teacher I asked, those should be singular conjugations, not plural.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:45 AM   #13
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
You do it so consistently that I wasn't going to say anything. But then you commented on his errors, so it gave me an opportunity to bring up yours. It looks like you only do it with corporations and websites. Here are a couple examples:

Have iRex given you any indication of when you're likely to get your iLiad, Martin?

According to the middle school english teacher I asked, those should be singular conjugations, not plural.
Nate, I think both of these fall into that ambiguous area of a collective singular, e.g. team. Should you say "the team is" or "the team are"? INMHO it follows colloquial rules. But I believe grammarians don't fully agree. Just my thoughts.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:54 AM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Nate, I think both of these fall into that ambiguous area of a collective singular, e.g. team. Should you say "the team is" or "the team are"? INMHO it follows colloquial rules. But I believe grammarians don't fully agree. Just my thoughts.
Yeah, I know. I thought it likely he was following the rules he was taught. But do you want to know how to tell the difference? Do you see that there is no 's' on the end of team? That is how you know it is singular.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:26 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:

Oh, OK .

That's a difference between British and American English. In British English, names of companies, teams, etc, virtually always take verbs in the plural; in American English, they take verbs in the singular.

Eg, British English says "Sony are shortly releasing a new version of the Reader...", but American English says "Sony is shortly releasing a new version of the Reader..."

Just one of those things; we are both using our own language "correctly".