Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
georgen
georgen began at the beginning.

Device: garmine-asus a10
Question How to save the book cover in png

Help please! How to save the book cover in the form of "pic.png" when saving to disk?
georgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Please explain more what you mean. With what are you saving? If the cover is in the epub, you can extract the cover from it.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
georgen

I mean when I use the "Save to disk" in Calibre, the cover is stored in the directory with the epub file in the format like "name book.jpg ". I need to cover persisted as "pic.png". Thanks in advance.

Last edited by georgen; 02-18-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Ah, so your question is a Calibre question. I'm moving the thread there.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why do you need the cover in PNG when ePub fully supports JPG?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
georgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why do you need the cover in PNG when ePub fully supports JPG?
Because my program to read books "Laputa" sees cover format like "pic.png"
Old 02-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There's no way to do that.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgen View Post
Aldiko (another EPUB reader for Android) uses png format for the cover and the thumbnail. Aldiko can talk to my Calibre server to get books. When I access the Calibre server, Aldiko creates the cover and the thumbnail png images from the jpgs served up by Calibre.

You can ask Laputa if it will implement that feature. (Perhaps it already has it?) They need it to compete with Aldiko. You can also install Aldiko, access your library via the CS and then copy over the png files you need. (Although that sounds rather inconvenient). I looked at Laputa. One nice thing about it is that it leaves books you import from Aldiko in the Aldiko directory and just makes a link, so running both won't take much extra space.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
hard13
Enthusiast
hard13 began at the beginning.

Device: none
you can use photoshop to change from jpg to png
hard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard13 View Post
you can use photoshop to change from jpg to png
and even mspaint.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
You can ask Laputa if it will implement that feature. (Perhaps it already has it?)
I checked: it already has this feature (direct access to the Calibre Content Server), but I don't know if it will create the pic.png files you need. However, I know it creates them for the other free - online libraries, and Calibre's content server works the same way. Try getting your books from Calibre's CS and I suspect it will create the thumbnail and image files you need.

Last edited by Starson17; 02-18-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #12
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by chyron8472 View Post
and even mspaint.
That's what I use...no muss, no fuss.

My next choice after that is Irfanview.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:31 PM   #13
georgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Aldiko (another EPUB reader for Android) uses png format for the cover and the thumbnail. Aldiko can talk to my Calibre server to get books. When I access the Calibre server, Aldiko creates the cover and the thumbnail png images from the jpgs served up by Calibre.

You can ask Laputa if it will implement that feature. (Perhaps it already has it?) They need it to compete with Aldiko. You can also install Aldiko, access your library via the CS and then copy over the png files you need. (Although that sounds rather inconvenient). I looked at Laputa. One nice thing about it is that it leaves books you import from Aldiko in the Aldiko directory and just makes a link, so running both won't take much extra space.
This is the most useful and wonderful advice! Thank you! That settled several problems with the synchronization library on my laptop and my android device.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgen View Post
You can load the JPG into Paint and save it out as PNG.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote