Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-09-2007, 09:04 AM   #1
col
col began at the beginning.

Device: prs500
Removing battery after screen freeze

Hi,
My sony reader froze on the main screen with the loading message showing plus a strange white/black stripe down the right hand side.

Tried everything to reset but nothing worked so decided to remove the battery to power it down, to my suprise the screen is still as it was.

I had assumed this would blank out the screen.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Colin
col is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:39 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
Hi,
My sony reader froze on the main screen with the loading message showing plus a strange white/black stripe down the right hand side.

Tried everything to reset but nothing worked so decided to remove the battery to power it down, to my suprise the screen is still as it was.

I had assumed this would blank out the screen.
Nope. The beauty of "eInk" is that the display only uses power to "set" a screen image in the first place. Once it's there, it'll continue to display even with no power at all, although it will very slowly "fade" with time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
col

So now that I have removed the power from the reader and then put it back and nothing has changed, does that mean it's dead?
Old 06-09-2007, 09:48 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It could be a flat battery. Try fully charging your Reader from the wall charger until the red light does out, and then do a reset.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #5
col

Great thanks for that, now working.

Wish I had asked before taking it apart but have only ever charged it up using the USB!
Advert
Old 06-09-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Great news!