Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
degeneration
degeneration began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Side loading books to a Kobo touch problem

Just got a Kobo Touch and am having a really difficult time setting the thing up.

I'm using Calibre 0.8.49 as my ebook library manager.

When I send any of the books to my Kobo, on the Kobo rather than displaying the book's title as the title, it displays all the values that were the tags in Caibre.

Tried everything I could think of to try to fix this, but no luck. Googled to see if anyone else had the problem, but was unable to find anything similar. The only thing that worked was to delete all the tags in Calibre, but that is far from ideal, as I may want the tags and it is too time consuming.

Has anyone got any idea what's going on, as the way it is, it is a complete deal breaker for the Kobo.

Also - when I loaded 5 Dan Brown books on to it, after deleting all the tags, only 1 of the books came up with the name and book cover as shown on Calibre. Deception Point was renamed "Presidents - Election", The Da Vinci Code was called "Freemasonary" and the others had other names that I can't fathom where they came from.

Any ideas on this one?

Why can't things just be simple!!

Oh, and hello everyone. First post here, tying in with getting my first ereader today.

Edit - It would seem both these problems just happen for .mobi files, but not epub ones. Guess I'll be converting my library then!!

Last edited by degeneration; 05-01-2012 at 05:14 PM.
degeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by degeneration View Post
Edit - It would seem both these problems just happen for .mobi files, but not epub ones. Guess I'll be converting my library then!!
i have seen the same with my Kobo Touch and mobi files. Some mobi files have gone through OK, but some don't. My solution is the same as yours. I have left mobi as a format that can calibre can transfer to the device, but if there are any issues I manually convert it to epub.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
LadyLoki
LadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo WiFi. Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch
I was given the kobo touch, had the kobo wifi and calibre worked beautifully with it.. However the problem is the touch. I tried to side load the books I have on calibre to the Touch and it took about half the list, the remainder refuse to be uploaded. All the books are the correct format as they worked fine on the WiFi.
Has anyone else come across this problem with the Kobo Touch and Calibre?
LadyLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
This sounds like you might have a corrupted eBook; and when the Touch scans it stops when it finds this book.

This can be pain to track down. I know davidfor has given some advice in the past on how to find the bad book.. hopefully he will chime in.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@LadyLoki: I'm a bit surprised that a book worked in the WiFi and not on the Touch. But, have a look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198752. This discusses the problem and has about all I know about finding the corrupt books.
Advert
Old 01-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I don't know if this is relevant, but just in case...

I've put a post on the ePub forum about an ebook I designed myself which I know validates and which works on my Sony, my Kindle3 (after conversion) and on my iPad/iBooks but which does not work when side loaded into a friend's Kobo Touch.

Is it possible that the original poster's problem and mine are caused by the Kobo Touch?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:15 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I don't know if this is relevant, but just in case...

I've put a post on the ePub forum about an ebook I designed myself which I know validates and which works on my Sony, my Kindle3 (after conversion) and on my iPad/iBooks but which does not work when side loaded into a friend's Kobo Touch.

Is it possible that the original poster's problem and mine are caused by the Kobo Touch?
The problems are unrelated. What the OP is seeing is well know issue where the Kobo devices decide they don't like a book and don't add it into the internal database. This failure causes the device to not process any further books until the bad one is removed. The problems in your thread are related to how the ePub is handled when actually being read.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:33 AM   #8
LadyLoki
LadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo WiFi. Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch
Thank you to everyone for your advice and at least I know it wasn't me! LOL anyway, I managed to solve the problem by deleting everything from my calibre library, and reloading it from my backup folder, which I do at least once a month or if I add several books will do a back up. This has really saved my behind! It would have been a HUGE pain to reload everything manually.
I will keep in mind all that everyone wrote in case I have this issue again. Thanks everyone!
LadyLoki is offline   Reply With Quote