Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Networked Kindles - An Emergency Internet?

Just had a great idea.

Since the Kindle uses 3G is it possible for one kindle to talk to a friends kindle?

Or must it communicate with Amazon through whisper net only?

In any case since kindles use wi-fi why can't one kindle talk to another kindle and thus create a new kindle network which forms a second internet for emergency use such as after world war 3 or a terrorist attack or a power outage?

Kindle to kindle wi-fi could also allow you to share your bookmarks and notes as well as browse other people files and books,sent sms,email,instant messaging,etc.

You could even have kindle clubs and groups.

How can we get one kindle to talk to or access another kindle through wi-fi?
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
Andolamin
Andolamin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
You would have to get into the underlying linux operating systems and add a lot of functionality that is not there. Then you'd have to re-write the kindle software to be able to take advantage of it.
Andolamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
dougmwpsu
Enthusiast
dougmwpsu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I've been reading Vugtitans posts with tickled fascination over the past few weeks since I found this forum. It appears he wants a device that can store an entire library of congress, recharge autonomously from sunlight (or in the case of nuclear winter, ambient neutrino flux), and create a self supporting wireless mesh network for global secure communication. It should otherwise be an immaculately perfect book replacement.

Someday, (if he doesn't cancel his order first) he will receive his kindle and realize that it is a competent ereader. I fear this may be enormously disappointing for him.
dougmwpsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
mattbiernat
Enthusiast
mattbiernat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
hehe you mean something like a teamviewer but for kindle. it would be nice if somebody did write an application like that. it would be especially useful for people who want to share their books with other family members. i hope Amazon will soon catch up and allow book sharing to limited number of people for limited number of time. this could be implemented to require direct WiFi to WiFi contact to prevent massive book sharing. something of the kind that Zune has on its devices.
my mother for example buys lots of books but i know that until book sharing is not available she will never buy kindle. this makes sense especially that she likes to share books with her friends after she finishes reading them.
mattbiernat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:49 AM   #5
Jacina
Jacina began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Eh, you can share books with a kindle:

Lets say you have your kindle (A) and the one that wants to share a book (B)

1. You register kindle B to A's account. (This is akin to going to A's home)
2. You pick the books you want from A's account. (Now you're looking through his shelves)
3. You load the books you want on your kindle. (Showing the stack of books you want)

Now there's one step I haven't tried out which would be the final one:

4. Deregister the kindle (Leave the house)

Supposedly the books remain readable, you just won't be able to load them from amazon again...

So the open questions are:
1. What happens if you deregister, according to several posts about stolen kindles et al, a deregistered kindle can still read the books loaded, but can't load more.
2. What happens if you re-register the kindle to your own account, are the books still readable?
Jacina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:07 AM   #6
ricsmania
Connoisseur
ricsmania began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi
Sure, but after WW3 wouldn't the phone towers be destroyed, disabling 3G?
ricsmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
spacemonkey
Enthusiast
spacemonkey doesn't litterspacemonkey doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacina View Post
Eh, you can share books with a kindle:

Lets say you have your kindle (A) and the one that wants to share a book (B)

1. You register kindle B to A's account. (This is akin to going to A's home)
2. You pick the books you want from A's account. (Now you're looking through his shelves)
3. You load the books you want on your kindle. (Showing the stack of books you want)

Now there's one step I haven't tried out which would be the final one:

4. Deregister the kindle (Leave the house)

Supposedly the books remain readable, you just won't be able to load them from amazon again...

So the open questions are:
1. What happens if you deregister, according to several posts about stolen kindles et al, a deregistered kindle can still read the books loaded, but can't load more.
2. What happens if you re-register the kindle to your own account, are the books still readable?
Surely you mean:
1) Install Kindle for PC on (A)s account
2) Download books
3) Skindle
4) Email book to (B)

Or have I misunderestimated something. I'm of course not suggesting piracy, however, there's no benefit in pretending you are not pirating books just because you've found a convoluted method of doing it.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
SpeckledJim
Enthusiast
SpeckledJim began at the beginning.

Device: K3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricsmania View Post
I think it speaks volumes that someone would be concerned about having net access after nuclear war. I like being connected as much as the next guy, but I'm fairly sure I'd have more pressing problems to contend with than not being able to browse slashdot, such as maybe finding drinkable water, and avoiding getting murdered by scavenging survivors who want my last chocolate HobNob.
SpeckledJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
Just had a great idea.

Since the Kindle uses 3G is it possible for one kindle to talk to a friends kindle?

Or must it communicate with Amazon through whisper net only?

In any case since kindles use wi-fi why can't one kindle talk to another kindle and thus create a new kindle network which forms a second internet for emergency use such as after world war 3 or a terrorist attack or a power outage?

Kindle to kindle wi-fi could also allow you to share your bookmarks and notes as well as browse other people files and books,sent sms,email,instant messaging,etc.

You could even have kindle clubs and groups.

How can we get one kindle to talk to or access another kindle through wi-fi?
WWIII? Terrorist attack? 'sigh.

NOTHING will work after either, in the surrounding areas.

The cell providers will be so overwhelmed, if they still even exist, nothing will get thru.

In case of WWIII, if you are still alive, you're going to have other things to worry about. This will be the least of your problems.

Last edited by desertgrandma; 09-21-2010 at 03:30 PM.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I am waiting for is a hack for the K3 with wifi & 3G to allow the K3 to be used as an internet hotspot.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #11
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
The K3 can't directly talk to another Kindle via WiFi because it doesn't support adhoc WiFi networks. If you have a WiFi access point available then they'd be able to communicate via WiFi.

The Amazon Whispernet network have proxy servers which prevent access to anything which isn't web. The web sites available may be limited depending on what region you're in i.e. it might be Wikipedia and Amazon only.

If you suddenly start hammering the 3G connection because you've tethered it to a laptop or desktop then Amazon are most likely going to notice and do something to stop you since you're not meant to do that.

Your ideas have a general theme of paranoia along with destruction of civilisation or the planet. Have you thought of reading more upbeat books on your Kindle?
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #12
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricsmania View Post
No phone towers required.

also it does not have to be after ww3 it can be due to power outage or a hack attack on public services launched by cyber attackers from the east

Wi-fi is kindle generated and i checked on wiki which said third world countries rely on mesh and adhoc networks as they don't have electricity or any infrastructure.

So i thought why only third world countries should have this facility.why not us as we invented it all anyway.

Since kindles are all standard identikit wi-fi then the problem of slightly differing wi-fi standards do not arises as has been the problem in far flung places in foreign lands.

By making a kindle talk to another you are essentially having a kind of kindle facebook community who can reach out and more for the intellectual elite and a broadminded vista familiarity folk as opposed to the beer swilling vomit spouters and binge drinkers out on a friday night.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #13
Esquire1
Banned
Esquire1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 wifi; PRS-500 (gone); iPad NOT for reading e-books ;)
You're all being trolled so hard. Good on doug and rics spotting the troll.
Esquire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:40 PM   #14
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
. . .as opposed to the beer swilling vomit spouters and binge drinkers out on a friday night.
Don't worry, they've got all the guns, and they'll take care of the intellectual elite early on.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:02 AM   #15
mattbiernat
Enthusiast
mattbiernat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
yet again, it would be nice to have an option to share books with friends directly through kindle via the Wifi.
and i don't care about WW3, WW4, terrorists, etc. those events are highly unlikely.
mattbiernat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, network, power, terrorist, war