Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 04-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Shipment Delay On New Orders

I ordered an eDGe two days ago (Tuesday evening) and it's been "processing" since then. Just now I received an email explaining things:
Thank you very much for your order of the enTourage eDGe. We have run into a production issue that will cause a brief delay in shipment of new orders. Your order will ship by the end of next week and you will get an e-mail with a Fedex tracking number when it does. Thank you very much for your patience while we resolve this issue.
I figure knowing this will save others from disappointment if they order expecting that the device is in stock and shipping.

This kind of thing happens. I don't regret my purchase. However, since I live in the State it ships from and I chose Standard Overnight shipping, I really thought I had an excellent chance of playing with it this weekend.

Sigh. C'est la vie.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Sorry to hear about your wait. Someone on the Entourage forum posted that they just ordered one to Canada and it did in fact arrive next day. I wonder whether the difference in delivery times had to do with the colour choice (yours and theirs) or whether they just happened to use up the last of their stock. I know the last batch of product they received had a slight hold up at customs coming into the US. It sounds like they've had more orders than they expected.

I waited weeks with no information whatsoever when I ordered a Fujitsu Tablet PC to Canada (the only way you could get them at the time was special order), and I had preordered my edge back in 2009, so I know how much it sucks to wait for electronics. All the worse because you expected it to come quickly. I know in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal, but at the time it feels like everything!

In the mean time, you can always (if you haven't already) convert things to PDF to get them ready to load onto your edge. I found out that the edge didn't like to load files that had punctuation/symbols in their names, and a lot of my files were downloads from website of the format "Article title (perhaps with punctuation) | or -- or / Website name." So, if you have files you want to load, you can always start by cleaning up formats/file names. You can also checkout online book stores/websites for content you will want.

Also, it seems that some SD cards work with the edge and some don't, so you could check out the list in the entourage forums to make sure you're not trying to use one that doesn't. You can also look at some of the 3rd party penabled pens or keyboards that work with the edge, if you think you'll want to use one of them with the device.

Lastly, Gelaskins should be coming out for the edge in May according to an announcement today, so you can always waste a bunch of time on that site looking for a skin you like. Or, look for a sleeve/carrying case.

I'm sure you know all that stuff, but just a friendly "here's what you can do to prepare for your edge and pass the time" reminder to all! I know while mine was out of commission for a bit, it was frustrating to read about the new apps people were adding and to not be able to try them out myself (you really do need the device for that). But, there was a bunch of other stuff I could do in the mean time.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Update: I just looked at their site and it does now say right at the order now button that new orders will ship April 19. Looks like you ordered yours at exactly the right moment to make it look like you'd get it overnight, but couldn't.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
Update: I just looked at their site and it does now say right at the order now button that new orders will ship April 19. Looks like you ordered yours at exactly the right moment to make it look like you'd get it overnight, but couldn't.
Yeah, I noticed that they changed it so it says it'll ship the week of April 19th, in red, right above the order button. They must have run out of stock in the last day or so, right before they got to taking care of my order. That's my luck for you. Seriously, I never gamble because I've always had terrible luck my entire life.

Thanks for the tips on things to do while waiting. I already converted everything to ePub when I got my iRex DR800 and I have only a handful of PDF books. That part is done.

One thing I'll continue doing is checking apps with Google's Android SDK emulator at large screen size to see if they might work on the eDGe. Looks like AnkiDroid will be okay, which makes me very happy. The source code reveals that it's set to be friendly to all screen resolutions. Of course, the proof is in the pudding. Can't know for sure until someone tries to run it on the eDGe.

I'll find things to do.

Edit: Oh, and yeah, I saw that post by the person who ordered on the 11th and was receiving the eDGe on the 14th. That's why I was sure I would be digging into the device this weekend. Oh, well.

Last edited by Dellaster; 04-15-2010 at 10:08 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 04-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
the person who ordered on the 11th and was receiving the eDGe on the 14th.
What was me...sorry. I was extremely surprised at the quickness of the order processing.

I have seen many comments concerning fingerprints, but with Red I do not notice them.

Gunner..

Last edited by Gunnerp245; 04-15-2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Corrent grammar
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
Dellaster
本の虫

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
What was me...sorry. I was extremely surprised at the quickness of the order processing.

I have seen many comments concerning fingerprints, but with Red I do not notice them.

Gunner..
No need to be sorry, Gunner, since you chose red. Now if you had gotten the last white one I'd be hating you to death. (kidding!)
Old 04-15-2010, 11:44 PM   #7
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast

Same comment here re: red/fingerprints. But, it was someone in Eastern Canada who said they received theirs next day I think. Don't know whether s/he mentioned the colour, though.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
maynard
Connoisseur
maynard began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, iLiad, Entourage Edge
I ordered an edge on the 12th and it's slated for delivery today. There appears to be a real product here, so perhaps they simply sold out and are waiting for the next shipment from the assembler.
maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
Dellaster
本の虫

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynard View Post
I ordered an edge on the 12th and it's slated for delivery today. There appears to be a real product here, so perhaps they simply sold out and are waiting for the next shipment from the assembler.
Congratulations! I envy you.

Oh, there has been no question at all that there's a real product. Probably a dozen, if not more, people here on MobileRead already have the device in their hands.

My order simply fell into the gap between them running out of supply and putting up a notice about the delay on their website. Bad luck for me.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
maynard
Connoisseur

Oh, there's no reason to envy me. I'm at work and won't get to play with it until I come home. Also, FedEx says that it hasn't even been delivered yet; it's _slated_ for delivery today. (booooooo!) For all I know, it may arrive on Monday - or never at all. But, yeah, I expect it will likely have arrived by the time I get home from work.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #11
maynard
Connoisseur

my ereader just arrived!

Last edited by maynard; 04-16-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
t-town
Connoisseur
t-town began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Ok, can someone explain to me why this guy posts in Chinese?

Quote:
Chinese to English translation
Just now, the school's computer to!
t-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #13
Dellaster
本の虫

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town View Post
Ok, can someone explain to me why this guy posts in Chinese?

Quote:
Chinese to English translation
Just now, the school's computer to!
An alternative from Bing: Just now, the reading of the computer to the

I'd have a decent chance with Japanese, but I know nothing of Chinese grammar. Hm, at a guess it's something like "The e-reader just arrived!"

Congratulations if so, maynard.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #14
maynard
Connoisseur

Yup, I've been playing with it. I definitely like the eink screen. However, I just loaded Project Gutenberg's Hong Lou Meng (Dream of the Red Mansion) in epub format and it didn't display at all. I'll ask on the Entourage forums about that.

Oh yeah, sorry about the Chinese. I didn't realize you were expecting Japanese. I simply did that based on your user tag.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:22 PM   #15
Dellaster
本の虫

Quote:
Yup, I've been playing with it. I definitely like the eink screen. However, I just loaded Project Gutenberg's Hong Lou Meng (Dream of the Red Mansion) in epub format and it didn't display at all. I'll ask on the Entourage forums about that.
Perhaps the eDGe doesn't have the right font and it's not embedded in the ePub either? Though I would think you'd get garbled symbols and question marks, not no display at all. How odd.

Quote:
Oh yeah, sorry about the Chinese. I didn't realize you were expecting Japanese. I simply did that based on your user tag.
Ah, I see now that my tag, 読書家, actually does seem to mean about the same thing in Chinese as in Japanese ("avid reader" or "bookworm" in Japanese). So your mistake is understandable. Japanese kanji are "Chinese characters" after all, though there have been changes over the centuries.

I've changed that to a different way of saying "bookworm" that is unmistakably Japanese due to the kana character in the middle: 本の虫