Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
noxxle
Enthusiast
noxxle began at the beginning.

How does the warranty work if you buy a New kindle on Ebay?

Usually if you want the manufacturer's warranty you need to buy from an authorized reseller. I noticed there are a lot of Kindles going for 380 (free shipping) on Ebay. I don't think the ebay sellers are official resellers, which makes me think buying from them would not include a warranty. The kindle manual only states that you need a receipt when sending for repairs. But what kind of receipt? Would they accept an ebay receipt...?
noxxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Have you tried asking the eBay sellers directly? They may have already dealt with this issue.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
noxxle
Enthusiast
noxxle began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Have you tried asking the eBay sellers directly? They may have already dealt with this issue.
Yes and no response. Plus the seller will probably just guess, and assume the warranty is still valid.
noxxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
honeybunny
Connoisseur
honeybunny has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2 GSM
That's almost no savings. Fork out the extra $20 (Amazon has free shipping too) for the peace of mind.
honeybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunny View Post
That's almost no savings. Fork out the extra $20 (Amazon has free shipping too) for the peace of mind.
I agree... most every warranty I have seen goes to the "original" purchaser. If buying from someone on eBay... well, they are the original purchaser and you bought it USED. Yes, even if it is new in the box, it is considered USED.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't think you get any warranty with your eBay purchased Kindle. But if someone bought that Kindle for you as a gift from Amazon, you would still have the warranty.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
One would have to ask themselves if the savings is worth not having any warranty
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I found and eBay guide warning of fake Kindles being sold on eBay.

http://tinyurl.com/6fo3j5

Quote:
It did not take long for these to arrive. They are being sold here on eBay, Craigslist and some even turned up on Amazon. Not being sold by Amazon but by other sellers who sell on Amazon. This has been closed on Amazon, they no longer allow sellers to sell new or used Kindles on Amazon website.

The fakes do work and work very well, however they have no warranty, buyers are having trouble downloading books. (Thus it makes them useless) The major problem has been with the fakes is the battery. They dont hold a charge and some have overheated during the charge and melted the Kindle.

Where to buy to be 100% sure you have a genuine Kindle. (eBay and sellers will hate me for this.) Amazon.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I wouldn't be surprised if you bought a fake that it's not supported by Amazon. They didn't make it, but if you buy a real one that's another matter.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #10
Rasczak
Rasczak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by noxxle View Post
Yes and no response. Plus the seller will probably just guess, and assume the warranty is still valid.
As soon as you get "no response" to any question, from any seller, selling anything, that is the time to forget that auction ever existed.
Rasczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:43 AM   #11
mhaas2
mhaas2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Axim X51V
I bought a Kindle from Ebay. It went dead the first night I had it. I called Amazon and they figured out who the original puchaser was and sent me out a replacement unit. Unfortuantly, someone screwed up. The replacement was sent to the original buyer. When my replacement did not show up, I called back and there error was discovered. They imediatly fedex'd me another one, and then I returned the defective unit. Amazon bent over backwards to take care of this and I was very pleased.

So to answer the question, yes they will cover the warrenty.
mhaas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #12
Xeniph
Xeniph began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaas2 View Post
I bought a Kindle from Ebay. It went dead the first night I had it. I called Amazon and they figured out who the original puchaser was and sent me out a replacement unit. Unfortuantly, someone screwed up. The replacement was sent to the original buyer. When my replacement did not show up, I called back and there error was discovered. They imediatly fedex'd me another one, and then I returned the defective unit. Amazon bent over backwards to take care of this and I was very pleased.

So to answer the question, yes they will cover the warrenty.
Whew! I'm glad! I'm selling my kindle, and I'd hate for the warranty I'm including not to be valid even though the Kindle help says "The warranty stays with the device even if it is gifted or sold to another party." :-)
Xeniph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #13
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
It's up to you to decide how much extra dollars your peace of mind is worth to you. I personally wouldn't buy Kindle on ebay in any case.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:26 PM   #14
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasczak View Post
As soon as you get "no response" to any question, from any seller, selling anything, that is the time to forget that auction ever existed.
Yes this. I have bought a lot of items on ebay and this is a dead giveaway of a bad seller. If they don't respond to a potential buyer in a timely fashion you don't have any chance of getting support after you buy something from them..
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote