Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Firmware upgrade at Indigo store----any issues?

I sent the Kobo upgrade info to my mom when it first came out and she panicked at the 'all your books will be erased' part and said she was fine with the Kobo the way it was. Well, she has been trying to plow her way through the J.D. Robb series (as purchased from Kobo) in itty bitty font and is sick of it. I saw her tonight and happen to be seeing her again on Sunday so I offered to take the Kobo with me, get it upgraded and take it back to her on Sunday.

After assuring her about 50 times that I would back the books up first and put them on when I was done again, I said 'you don't need to worry' and she said 'Oh, I am not worried sweetheart, because I *trust* you.' So now this is all on me, and I am terrified. After the way I messed up the Kobo the last time I tried to tinker, I have learned my lesson and will be taking Mom's precious Kobo to the Indigo store to have them directly do it.

So...this will all be okay, right? I am assuming that all I have to do is copy the book files into a folder on my computer and then just drag them back again when I am done and everything will be fine, the books will all be there for her and she can read them in whatever font size she pleases. True? Any little details I am missing? Anything else I have to do to it before I give it back to her?

She is not using the desktop software herself, so I am not concerned about that (unless it must be syncced with it for some other reason just to get the upgrade working, in which case I suppose I will have to install it?) I just want to make sure I can load books on for her and have the font issue be solved, and that I am not going to ruin her beloved Kobo after she said she TRUSTS me with it...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
jonnybraga
jonnybraga began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I upgraded my Kobo and didn't lose any book... they were all there.... maybe that will happen to u too...
jonnybraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 12:53 AM   #3
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybraga View Post
I upgraded my Kobo and didn't lose any book... they were all there.... maybe that will happen to u too...
I don't use that method, but something rings bell here. All preinstalled
books are there again, since they are compressed in tgz file. Books from
kobo bookstore should not be on the device after upgrade, cause they
have to be reinstalled. I assume lady has an account on kobo store and
I'd follow that way to reinstall them on the 1.4.
I'm assured people on this forum did it many times and would be fine
to post exact steps to do that. At least, I wouldn't let my mom be mad
at me.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote