Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
osirisomeomi
osirisomeomi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Question re: sorting by author

Hey, I'm editing the metadata of a large number of ebooks and would find sorting by author very helpful. The issue is that the auto-sort feature will sort the authors by the last word in the phrase. That is useful when the metadata is all clean, but sucks when it isn't. Is there an option to sort by author where the sorting is done strictly alphabetically?

Example:

John Doe - Generic

Now sorts it by 'generic', but I'd like it to sort by 'john', temporarily so that I can line up the 'John Does' and bulk edit them. Is there a way to do this easily? Searching for 'John Doe' will yield the right ebooks, but it's also extremely slow compared to just running through the main library in the requested fashion.
osirisomeomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hmmm - are you talking about sorting in calibre itself? If so, click on the 'author' tab and it will sort them by authors.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
Hmmm - are you talking about sorting in calibre itself? If so, click on the 'author' tab and it will sort them by authors.
That sort by Lastname, firstname (Author Sort in the Meta-data)

Note the Luggage tag list is: Firstname, Lastname
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That sort by Lastname, firstname (Author Sort in the Meta-data)

Note the Luggage tag list is: Firstname, Lastname
Yeah but he did mention he wants to sort by 'john' . I am sure you can change something in calibre to sort by lastname. I just never bothered to find it.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:44 PM   #5
osirisomeomi

It's possible I didn't explain that well.

If the Author lists as 'John Doe (v1.0)', then it'll sort by '(v1.0)'. This means that 'John Doe - Generic' will be totally separated from 'John Doe (v1.0)'. Like so:

BookName1 John Doe (v1.0)
OtherBooks BunchofAuthors1 (from ( to G)
BookName2 John Doe - Generic
MoreBooks BunchofAuthors2 (G to R)
BookName3 John Doe - Revised
LotsoBooks Bunch of Authors3 (R to Z)

I want:

OtherBooks BunchofAuthors (from ( to Jo)
BookName1 John Doe (v1.0)
BookName2 John Doe - Generic
BookName3 John Doe - Revised
OtherBooks BunchofAuthors (from Jp to Z)

In the first section, I have to search every author's name individually and then bulk edit. In the second, I can bulk edit from the main library view, saving me hours of time. It seems like a fairly simple and useful feature so I assume calibre must have it, but I can't find it. It's just a change from sorting by the 'last word -> first word -> second word etc' to 'first word -> second word -> third word etc'.
Advert
Old 04-14-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisomeomi View Post
It's possible I didn't explain that well.
Calibre does not have the feature you want. When you ask Calibre to sort by author, it actually sorts by the field author_sort. It can't sort by author. You can see the author_sort field in the edit metadata screen. It's entirely under your control, but by default, it will put the last character string in first.

If you have an author named John Smith (v1), it will move (v1) to the front of the author_sort string. If that's not what you want, you need to edit the author_sort field when you add a book. The basic assumption is that you will give it the author's name, and if you don't do that, Calibre won't work well when creating the author_sort field.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisomeomi View Post
Now sorts it by 'generic', but I'd like it to sort by 'john', temporarily so that I can line up the 'John Does' and bulk edit them. Is there a way to do this easily? Searching for 'John Doe' will yield the right ebooks, but it's also extremely slow compared to just running through the main library in the requested fashion.
If you set the tweak author_sort_copy_method that tells calibre to not reverse names when computing author_sort (see tweaks.py in your calibre settings directory) and then use the bulk metadata editor to recompute all the author_sort fields, then calibre will do what you ask. When you are done, unset the tweak and recompute the author_sort fields.

Have fun.

Last edited by chaley; 04-20-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: added name of tweak
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Deleted
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
osirisomeomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
If you set the tweak telling calibre to not reverse names when computing author_sort (see tweaks.py in your calibre settings directory) and then use the bulk metadata editor to recompute all the author_sort fields, then calibre will do what you ask. When you are done, unset the tweak and recompute the author_sort fields.

Have fun.
Thanks! It's not the ideal way to do it, but it sounds like it'll work. Thanks a lot for your help, and to others in the thread also.

Hopefully the option will get added to Calibre in the future. It seems like it'd be simple, software-wise.

Last edited by osirisomeomi; 04-14-2010 at 03:59 PM.