Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-13-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
Blackguard
Enthusiast
Blackguard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
DX performance on large (>100MB) pdf files?

Just wondering if there is a performance hit on large pdfs >100MB or so?

Thanks!
Blackguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Blackguard
Enthusiast
Blackguard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Just a bump
Blackguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
tklaus
Connoisseur
tklaus doesn't littertklaus doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle DX
I haven't noticed any performance degradation based only on file size. The largest pdf I have tried is 122mb. There is a slight slowdown for image-based pdfs vs. non-image pdfs, but it's on the order of a few extra seconds at most (depending on the resolution of the images)
tklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
I've tried a 160MB one (1st part Delphi Reference Manual) and it loads as faster as other PDS, but page turn delays until 10 seconds.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I haven't viewed a PDF that large, but I had a computer manual (11 MB) that took several minutes to load. Other image based PDFs that were 4 or 5 times the size of the computer manual loaded fine. My guess is that the color cover of the computer manual is huge or something -- not really sure why it took so long to load.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I also found page-turns a bit slower on image based PDFs.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I had an 80MB comic on mine for a while that seemed to work fine.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote