Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 08-01-2015, 09:58 PM   #1
woodr2011
Connoisseur
woodr2011 began at the beginning.

Device: PC and laptop
Calibre as a Complete File Manager

I want to use Calibre as a universal file manager for all of my digital files and to catalog my entire physical library of books, CDs, DVDs, etc. The only issue with this is the cosmetic interface of the program. To this end, would it be possible for me to change the titles of the toolbar buttons from "Add Books" / "Convert Books" / "Remove Books" to "Add Files" / "Convert Files" / "Remove Files"?

Thank you for any feedback.
woodr2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:17 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Only way to do that is to run calibre from source and change the strings in the source code.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:46 AM   #3
woodr2011
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Only way to do that is to run calibre from source and change the strings in the source code.
Hi Kovid,

Many thanks for your reply. I would also like to change the text in the dropdown options in the main toolbar buttons to say "file" or "files" instead of "books," such as: Add FILES from a single directory, rather than "Add books from a single directory," etc.

Under Preferences/Interface/Look and Feel, could you add an option there to customize the toolbar buttons and dropdowns with user defined names? That would be a powerful addition to the program for those of us who use it as a complete file manager. Calibre is a truly unique program, and this option would allow it to be even more powerful!
Old 08-02-2015, 08:35 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm afraid making calibre into a general file manager is not a road I wish to go down, sorry.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
woodr2011
Connoisseur

Hi Kovid,

I understand. Do you know of an existing general file management program that functions the same way Calibre does in terms of adding custom/searchable columns in a general view?

Failing that, would it be possible to obtain instructions on how to edit the source file(s) to accomplish what I am looking to do?

Many thanks!!
Old 08-02-2015, 11:23 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Instructions for running calibre from source are in the user manual, it is fairly easy. Once you have it running from source, just search for the strings you want to change and replace them with whatever you like.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:56 PM   #7
woodr2011
Connoisseur

Kovid - Is running Calibre "from the source files" the same as "Setting up a calibre development environment" in the user's manual? I am highly computer literate, but I am not a programmer, so I would appreciate your guidance on how to start this process.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:56 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodr2011 View Post
. . . Do you know of an existing general file management program that functions the same way Calibre does in terms of adding custom/searchable columns in a general view?
@woodr2011 - if you're on Windows then xPlorer², Directory Opus and other Windows/File Manager replacement utilities might suit. Those two are customisable to some degree, in providing access to the 300+ plus metadata attributes supported by Windows. But they are not as 'easy' to use as calibre, and they don't have the same degree of extensibility in terms of adding 'custom columns'.

I use calibre much as you seem to want to use it. I've 'trained' myself to live with the labels given to functions and built in columns - eg for my Movie library I mentally interpret the column 'authors/Author(s)' as meaning 'director/Director'.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:58 PM   #9
woodr2011
Connoisseur

Hi BR,

Thank you for your reply. I have tested the typical "explorer" programs that you mention. Most of them are identical to Windows Explorer in most respect with the exception of XYplorer, which offers 5 customizable columns. I connected with someone online who will be writing a script to rename the command buttons and submenu items in Calibre to give the program a more general file manager feel. The script will be executable, so every time I update the program, I just have to run the .exe file afterwards to have everything look as I want it to. I truly love Calibre's format, so I'm happy to be putting this decision making process behind me!!

It would be nice if Kovid could adapt the metasearch to obtain info for movies and music, but I came to the conclusion that my media players are more responsible for that aspect when they actually play the files. "The" all inclusive cataloging program simply doesn't exist yet. Calibre could be that program very easily!