Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
edryan
edryan began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
The M92 is just too fragile

I've got a crack developing in the top right of my screen. I just got the screen replaced a month ago, and this is happening again already. I put the device through normal use--the most trauma it ever experiences is getting carried around in my backpack in the case that it came with.

I get that the large screen size makes it more fragile than smaller e-readers, but this is just ridiculous. I'm not throwing the thing against the wall, after all, I'm just taking it to work and back.

Do not buy the M92. It's an expensive device that is far too easy to break, and the cost of repair is prohibitive.
edryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: M92
Fragile things should not be put in a backpack. It's as simple as that.
Have you ever heard about such strange things like executive cases?
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
edryan

I carried a laptop in a backpack for years with little more in the way of protection than I have used for the M92. That laptop is still running fine six years later with only minor cosmetic damage.

A device that is too fragile to survive normal use is too fragile to fulfill its purpose. Expecting anyone who gets an e-reader to carry it in a briefcase at all times is unrealistic and, frankly, pretty silly.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: M92
It is silly to transport it adequately but it is not silly to repeat the same mistake again and again and expect a different outcome?
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
MatthiasR.
M92 user
MatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Onyx M92
I carry my M92 in my backpack or trunk bag on my bike like every day.

I pack my backpack or the trunk bag very full so that I was often afraid that it would break as I carry normally at least my laptop, a bottle of water, some books and some notebooks.

However, until now it did never break. I guess that even packing the backpack or the trunk bag very tight helps, as then all the pressure is put on the outer plastic frame. However, if you put something uneven in front of the (covered) display of the M92, then its sure to break.

Btw: I broke my M92 screen once as I was reading in bed. I left it there and one hour later, I sat myself directly on the display, as it was covered by a blanket
Of course, the price of repairing the screen is very high, but Booxtor - from whom I bought the M92 - explained somewhere in the forum that the eink screen itself costs approximately 150€. So, you can't blame anyone for extraordinary high prices for repairing. Just pay more attention to how you carry it and everything will be fine.
MatthiasR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
edryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenderland View Post
It is silly to transport it adequately but it is not silly to repeat the same mistake again and again and expect a different outcome?
Once can be a fluke. Twice is a poorly designed product. Now anyone who wants a reader that can endure reasonable use can learn learn from my mistakes and avoid wasting their money.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:05 AM   #7
MatthiasR.
M92 user
MatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of light

Call it poorly designed. The fact that I can carry it with me every day and it never broke shows that its endurable enough for most use cases. However, if you are not handling it with some caution, nobody can help you. The display is made out of glass, so what did you expect? Just put something plain and sturdy in front of the screen and it will not break.
MatthiasR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
dkef
Enthusiast
dkef began at the beginning.

I often carry my M92 along with my laptop in my backpack. I have once carried it that way inside trains and planes when traveling abroad. Nothing happened. I don't think it is fragile.
dkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:26 AM   #9
por
Groupie
por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: ONYX M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by edryan View Post
I've got a crack developing in the top right of my screen. I just got the screen replaced a month ago, and this is happening again already. I put the device through normal use--the most trauma it ever experiences is getting carried around in my backpack in the case that it came with.

I get that the large screen size makes it more fragile than smaller e-readers, but this is just ridiculous. I'm not throwing the thing against the wall, after all, I'm just taking it to work and back.

Do not buy the M92. It's an expensive device that is far too easy to break, and the cost of repair is prohibitive.
Consider scenarios where sharp edges could press against the screen (even when it is in its case) and try avoiding these. Example: if you have a laptop or notebook in you backpack try to always store the device with its screen against the laptop/notebook.
por is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
Read&Write
Enthusiast
Read&Write has learned how to buy an e-book online

The M92 has several shortcomings, but fragility is not one of them. For month, I have been carrying around the device (in a backpack) without even noticing scratches. Granted, I use the protective cover and wrap it in a blanket, but I would not consider that an exaggerated cautionary measure for something with a glass screen and a purchase price around 350€.

I think you must have had extremely bad luck with the device breaking twice.
Read&Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I am thinking is that the way you have your backpack packed something is pressing too hard against the M92 and you went and did the same thing a second time without bothering to rearrange things in your backpack. I have a messenger bag that I carry my 650 in sometimes and never a problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #12
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I might have had good luck, but my M92 fell from 2m height to the floor. It survived. I carry it in backpack and no problem.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote