Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #46
Zarvox
Zarvox began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I bought a kobo 4 hours ago. Did the set up on my Mac - no problem there. However, I'm having the same issues. Here's the list:

If I tether it to my Google Nexus 1 using a WPA (8 character password), I can get onto wifi no problem.

If I try connecting it to WEP using a 5 character password, it constantly returns "Incorrect Login". (Yes, I confirmed that I'm using the correct login)
- I use Mac Minis for my wifi using "internet sharing" mode and WEP (they can't do WPA).
- I've tried it on 3 different Minis, two of them using OSX 10.4 and one using OSX 10.6.7. Same problem connecting using WEP encryption on all.
- I tried manually setting the network. Still get "Incorrect Login".
- I did a factory reset and reinstalled the firmware update. Still no dice.
- I turned off WEP encryption, making it an open network. This worked. So, it's not a Mac OS issue per se, but some problem with WEP (for the record, I used 5 character (40 bit) passwords of either all lower case letters or all numbers).
- For the record, once the kobo has successfully logged into a wifi network and then the network is turned off, the kobo will hang in "connecting" mode, looking for the access point. It won't let me get to the list to try another access point unless I power down the reader and then power it on again.

Hopefully, this will help the developers get to the bottom of the problem. Please let me know if I can give you any more details. Thanks!
Zarvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #47
Zarvox

BTW, it's not a network interference issue. I was right beside the wifi points at all times (within 1 foot), full bars.
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #48
Captain_Obvious
Captain_Obvious began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc
Well, now I'm experiencing a new issue. Randomly, the Kobo will forget the known networks. If I try to sync wirelessly, sometimes it'll work flawlessly, other times it'll show me a list of networks available as if I have never connected to one before. I'll go into the edit wireless networks tab under settings and find that the Kobo has forgotten the network it previously connected to. This forces me to run through the whole connection process again along with all the problems that was stated before.

Anyone else get this problem?
Captain_Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #49
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarvox View Post
I bought a kobo 4 hours ago. Did the set up on my Mac - no problem there. However, I'm having the same issues. Here's the list:

If I tether it to my Google Nexus 1 using a WPA (8 character password), I can get onto wifi no problem.

If I try connecting it to WEP using a 5 character password, it constantly returns "Incorrect Login". (Yes, I confirmed that I'm using the correct login)
- I use Mac Minis for my wifi using "internet sharing" mode and WEP (they can't do WPA).
- I've tried it on 3 different Minis, two of them using OSX 10.4 and one using OSX 10.6.7. Same problem connecting using WEP encryption on all.
- I tried manually setting the network. Still get "Incorrect Login".
- I did a factory reset and reinstalled the firmware update. Still no dice.
- I turned off WEP encryption, making it an open network. This worked. So, it's not a Mac OS issue per se, but some problem with WEP (for the record, I used 5 character (40 bit) passwords of either all lower case letters or all numbers).
- For the record, once the kobo has successfully logged into a wifi network and then the network is turned off, the kobo will hang in "connecting" mode, looking for the access point. It won't let me get to the list to try another access point unless I power down the reader and then power it on again.

Hopefully, this will help the developers get to the bottom of the problem. Please let me know if I can give you any more details. Thanks!
This issue should be addressed in 1.9.1 and higher.
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #50
Byron4120
Enthusiast
Byron4120 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious View Post
Well, now I'm experiencing a new issue. Randomly, the Kobo will forget the known networks. If I try to sync wirelessly, sometimes it'll work flawlessly, other times it'll show me a list of networks available as if I have never connected to one before. I'll go into the edit wireless networks tab under settings and find that the Kobo has forgotten the network it previously connected to. This forces me to run through the whole connection process again along with all the problems that was stated before.

Anyone else get this problem?
Similar -- On sync -- it sometimes forgets my network - look in edit connections and the ssid is there but unselected -- I select & instantly (Almost) I'm online & working.
Byron4120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 01:03 AM   #51
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Maybe wifi adapter asks for more power? It could be hungry hog.
My laptop i much warmer when using wifi.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #52
Zarvox

Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
This issue should be addressed in 1.9.1 and higher.
In Device Information, my kobo is saying it's running v. 1.9.4 (r29344, Jun 18, 2011). Any tricks I should know?

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:55 PM   #53
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarvox View Post
In Device Information, my kobo is saying it's running v. 1.9.4 (r29344, Jun 18, 2011). Any tricks I should know?

Thanks.
Howdy Zarvox, we tested it internally with a Mac Mini and a WEP network and it appears to work. Is there something special about your configuration?
Old 06-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #54
slowell
slowell began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ereader touch
Same wifi problem as described throughout this thread. Did all the resets (inc factory) described, even took the ereader back and exchanged for another...still no luck. Running 1.9.4 with hidden SSID and WEP. Unhiding etc doesn't seem to help either.
slowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #55
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern

Howdy,

Can you guys that are having problems answer the following:

Length of your password?
Are you entering HEX (0-9, a-f) or ASCII?
Name/Type of Router?

Last edited by george.talusan; 06-23-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:27 PM   #56
kwhumphreys
kwhumphreys began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
WPA with 64-character hex key.
Painful to retype dozens of times trying to connect... :-)
kwhumphreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:45 PM   #57
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern

64 character?

WEP keys are supposed to be 5, 10, 13, 26 characters long. See this table:

Code:
40-or 64-bit ASCII WEP code has five characters
40- or 64-bit HEX WEP code has 10 characters
128-bit ASCII WEP code has 13 characters
128-bit HEX WEP code has 26 characters
Old 06-23-2011, 11:48 PM   #58
slowell
slowell began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ereader touch
I'm using:

10 characters WEP, all numeric, 2wire gateway model 2701HG-G (from Bell)

Works fine with all other devices incl laptops, blackberry, ipods, macbook,...
slowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:28 AM   #59
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
64 character?

Code:
40-or 64-bit ASCII WEP code has five characters
40- or 64-bit HEX WEP code has 10 characters
128-bit ASCII WEP code has 13 characters
128-bit HEX WEP code has 26 characters
And 256-bit HEX WEP code has 58 characters
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:36 AM   #60
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
64 character?
It should be wpa2, aes, password at 25+ characters.
I assume people use wep no more. If developers could
concentrate on wpa2, which is mostly users have on
their routers, it might help a lot.
I don't have touch, but found the thread puzzling at least.
The very first thing to look at, right?
Best regards all.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote