Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-07-2008, 06:30 AM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Folders! Rant! Rave!

Argh!
I gotta tell ya, I love my Kindle but I'm about to throw it through the window in regards to its poor navigation options.

The inability to do any sort of organization besides author and title (which can't be edited easily at all) is just driving me nuts. And honestly, that alone really wouldn't frustrate me if we could navigate via folders which would even be better!

I'm curious... did no one testing the Kindle have much content on it? Cause I'm looking at seven pages and I'm just sick to death of trying to sort out with the first few words of a title and my email address if I mailed it to go on. The PDF's often have metadata - USE IT.

I really do like the device in every way but that. I read a lot of academic journal articles through the device, and it's just getting pretty damn messy. I love that I can just send them to my device via email so easily, but man it is getting ugly in here.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
jacksonunit
Sand Bender
jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle1/iPhone/iPad/Droid/KindleDX/Kindle 3G/Kindle Touch/Kindle Fire
i KNOW right? It's like if Gwen Stefani had a big zit on her cheek.

BTW, I really enjoy your blog. I have a t-shirt with the Feb 27 quote on it.
(No, really. I do.)

BTW also, Do you know where an humble Calvinist might find a suitable electronic version of The Institutes of the Christian Religion. All I can find is a shoddy four file version on memoware.com

I have a paper copy but am afraid I might crack a tile if I drop it.
jacksonunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm beginning to think that all the makers of these devices did their market research at the same place, since they all seem to have decided that flat navigation is the way to go.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonunit View Post
i KNOW right? It's like if Gwen Stefani had a big zit on her cheek.

BTW, I really enjoy your blog. I have a t-shirt with the Feb 27 quote on it.
(No, really. I do.)

BTW also, Do you know where an humble Calvinist might find a suitable electronic version of The Institutes of the Christian Religion. All I can find is a shoddy four file version on memoware.com

I have a paper copy but am afraid I might crack a tile if I drop it.
Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Calvin had a heck of a mind... I just kind of stumbled upon that quote the other day and loved it. That idea is so prevalent in Judaism - in fact, after "action over belief" I'd suggest that the aversion to idolatry is the second biggest "issue".

Regarding Calvin's book... I found this mobipocket drm'd book. You can attempt to use it with your Kindle with the instructions around here somewhere.
It's not free, however:
http://www.ebookmall.com/ebooks/inst...vin-ebooks.htm

Books on Board has a similar situation:
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...=john%20calvin

That's pretty much what I could find that didn't appear to be exactly what you had. That's very surprisingly, actually. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I totally agree. I want subfolders and the ability to customize search to an individual book, a subfolder or the whole Kindle. It's not rocket science.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Argh
I'm curious... did no one testing the Kindle have much content on it? Cause I'm looking at seven pages and I'm just sick to death of trying to sort out with the first few words of a title and my email address if I mailed it to go on. man it is getting ugly in here.
Wait'll you get like me. 23 pages & counting!

I finally broke down and put some of my 'already read' books on an SD card and stored the card.

The current update should have enabled folder creation.

I read somewhere that an Amazon big wig said one Kindle owner bought 800 (!!!) books since buying the Kindle. I'll see if I can find the page.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I read a lot of academic journal articles through the device, and it's just getting pretty damn messy. I love that I can just send them to my device via email so easily, but man it is getting ugly in here.
I'd be interested in seeing a screenshot of a converted journal article on the kindle, and the corresponding original pdf formatting. One of the reasons I got a sony was so I could read pdfs of scientific articles; however, the pdf view on the Sony is really way too small to actually read.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So far, Sony seems to be one step ahead of the pack with Collections. It's not folders, but it's not too bad.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #9
europas_ice
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So far, Sony seems to be one step ahead of the pack with Collections. It's not folders, but it's not too bad.
And even though the collections don't work for the stuff on the SD card, you can edit the metadata for the files, and you can manually sort the SD card files to appear on the reader in any order you want.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #10
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Yeah, I really miss the collections feature - it was very nice.

Here are some shots. These are just pdf's emailed directly to the Kindle - it is by no means perfect, but it is certainly readable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-10997.gif
Views:	368
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	11310   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-10999.gif
Views:	360
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	11311   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-11001.gif
Views:	374
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	11312  
Old 03-08-2008, 12:52 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice View Post
And even though the collections don't work for the stuff on the SD card, you can edit the metadata for the files, and you can manually sort the SD card files to appear on the reader in any order you want.
Collections do work on the SD card for the 505.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:02 AM   #12
europas_ice
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Collections do work on the SD card for the 505.
Ooo, I didn't know that. I suppose it's not enough of a reason to shell out the $400 though.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:11 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice View Post
Ooo, I didn't know that. I suppose it's not enough of a reason to shell out the $400 though.
$299.99 retail from Sony directly. Can be found slightly less on other store websites selling it.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #14
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Yah, this thing needs folders.

However, JSWolf, if I was given a Sony, I'd just chuck it a drawer and continue using the kindle. The advantages are overwhelming.

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #15
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I think Sony could close the gap a fair way with a bit of investment in firmware development. It's a good device at a great price point. They need to put forth some effort if they want to stay in the game. I love my Kindle but I don't want it to be the only game in town.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote