Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-15-2009, 07:14 PM   #16
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
This was my first and only King's book I've read and I've enjoyed it very much. I could imagine a better ending, but the most important is the ride, right?

Absolutely.

You might enjoy "Salems 'Lot" as well. Yes, its about vampires, but extremely more than that. To me, he seemed to have a better understanding of the human psyche "back then" Great "ride".

"NightShift" and "Skeleton Crew" are two great collections of short stories he did early in his career.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #17
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Absolutely.

You might enjoy "Salems 'Lot" as well. Yes, its about vampires, but extremely more than that. To me, he seemed to have a better understanding of the human psyche "back then" Great "ride".

"NightShift" and "Skeleton Crew" are two great collections of short stories he did early in his career.
Agree totally. Salem's Lot is still a brilliant read. I think that's his truly greatest work. There's nothing disappointing about that novel
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #18
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
It's odd, I've found that reading the book first will almost always ruin the movie, but not the other way around. I suppose it's because the book is usually a much deeper and richer (not to mention longer) experience.
I totally agree! A Beautiful Mind was an aclaimed movie a couple years ago. I hurried and got the book and read it. Then we went to see the movie. If my husband hadn't been enjoying the movie, I would have walked out. If the movie is 2 dimensional (that is being generous), then the book is 6 dimensional.

I have enjoyed the last couple Harry Potter movies, but they will never be able to make the last book into a movie that works. There were too many simultaneous movies going on in my head.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #19
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
This was my first and only King's book I've read and I've enjoyed it very much. I could imagine a better ending, but the most important is the ride, right?
absolutely. I have always felt the best ending is one that leaves it to our imagination. Because there really is never a real end to anything, unless everyone dies.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #20
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
I've been a Steven King fan for a long time, but I can think of several of his novels that could stand to have a couple hundred pages removed and they'd be better.

I've always thought of him as the ultimate "what if" writer. As in, he'll be driving down the road one day and suddenly think to himself, "what if all of the cars on the road suddenly came alive and tried to kill us." Then he goes on to write it.

But I also think he sometimes suffers from rambling along through the middle parts of the novel, making it up as he goes along, until the end carnage.

I may not make many friends with that but oh well.
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #21
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlawBiker View Post
I've been a Steven King fan for a long time, but I can think of several of his novels that could stand to have a couple hundred pages removed and they'd be better.

I've always thought of him as the ultimate "what if" writer. As in, he'll be driving down the road one day and suddenly think to himself, "what if all of the cars on the road suddenly came alive and tried to kill us." Then he goes on to write it.

But I also think he sometimes suffers from rambling along through the middle parts of the novel, making it up as he goes along, until the end carnage.

Couldn't agree more. I was a massive fan of his work growing up, but with each new release he just disappoints me more and more. I think he's a victim of his success. He makes so much money for the publishers that he can do whatever he likes, including the fat middle sections of the books or terrible endings.

It's shame, really, because he's written some terrific stuff when he's being leaner -- Misery, Dolores Claiborne, even the Shining. A friend of mine says that all of his 'big' books are half-back-story, half actual story. Of course, my friend doesn't like him at all
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:48 PM   #22
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Hey, why? It is a valid opinion and these thnigs are just for fun. I never understand the bickering that can occur over a single person's taste about something. If I like it and you don't, that is how it is and life goes on. What a boring world if everyone liked and disliked the same thing. The advertisers would really hate that for sure. Might kill off an entire portion of the population. And what would it so the the legal profession? Taxes everyone would pay and not complain or there would be none so, POOF, gone, hmmmm, maybe boring might be better after all?

sorry had to add that last part for Sydney's Mom because she used two words in the same sentence TAX and ATTORNEY.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I have enjoyed the last couple Harry Potter movies, but they will never be able to make the last book into a movie that works. There were too many simultaneous movies going on in my head.
They are actually making the last book into two movies. Although it could be three I think.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #24
snipenekkid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
They are actually making the last book into two movies. Although it could be three I think.

BOb
That is good to read as the last movie left out so much that I had to explain it to friends who had not read or listened to the book. I have yet to read the final book but will real soon now.

Last edited by snipenekkid; 03-15-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #25
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
Quote:
That is a good idea. There really is two movies worth of material in the last book, and they also get to double their revenue potential

Greg.
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #26
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

King wings it when he writes, and doesn't outline. Thus, he sometimes writes himself into a corner. He has a great opening, and a huge buildup, and then has no idea what to do for a conclusion. His novel "Insomnia" is a like this. It's a fascinating read, that really builds ... and then I couldn't have cared less about the ending, at all. "It" is much the same, great story, weak ending.

As I understand it, he got part way through "The Stand", about the point where the good guys all arrive in Colorado, and then didn't know what happened next. He said at the time "I'm losing my book!" Of course, we know now the events he came up with to reduce the cast and get things moving again.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #27
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
It is a masterpiece, I dont think the ending was weak at all.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #28
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I read both of the versions at about the time they were released. So I hardly remember what made them different ... except for the "uncut" versions ending.

And I'll admit to being disappointed in the new, tacked-on ending.

Not that it isn't true-to-life, but...not how I wanted it to end, that's all.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #29
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The new version had more of the Trashcan Man's story. He also changed the date from 1980 to 1990.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #30
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:

BOb
That sounds promising!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote