Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #31
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Another book we had to read was Future Shock by Alvin Toffler. It was a much discussed book in the early 70s and would be interesting to revisit to see if it's still relevant.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #32
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
The only English title I can add to this list is Play the Monster Blind, by Lynn Coady, a collection of short stories all about living in small Canadian towns.
It was required in college, but I re-read it a few times since.
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #33
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I haven't seen anyone mention The Great Gatsby, which I recall only because it was the only required reading I didn't finish.

I was a bit of an English literature geek and read a great many classics outside of school. I love Tolstoy's "Anna Karenina", but it wasn't required reading.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #34
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Tragedy of Man by Madách

Ecampus.com writes:

http://www.ecampus.com/book/9780862414184

Quote:
Widely translated and performed at the turn of the century, The Tragedy of Man (1862) evokes comparisons with Milton's Paradise Lost in both ambition and theme. After being banished from the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve fall asleep; Adam dreams the course of modern history, which fills him with despair. We see him, Eve and Lucifer take on different historical roles as they pass through ancient Rome, the Crusades, Kepler's Prague, revolutionary Paris and, finally, a post-historical time when ecological disaster has nearly destroyed the world. Once he has learned of the degradation that awaits humanity, Adam considers suicide, but when he discovers Eve is pregnant he puts his faith in God and the future. Madach passionately examines such themes as human destiny, the illusory nature of free choice and the inability of science and technology to deal with moral issues.
The NYT has a review (linked).

And wikipedia has links to several translations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tragedy_of_Man
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #35
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Good Soldier Švejk by Jaroslav Hašek

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Goo...ier_%C5%A0vejk
Old 06-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #36
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
The Good Soldier Švejk by Jaroslav Hašek

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Goo...ier_%C5%A0vejk
A fabulous book! I strongly endorse ahi's recommendation of this one.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #37
ahi
Wizard

The Master and Margarita by Bulgakov

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Master_and_Margarita

---

Fateless by Kertész (<-- Nobel Prize for Literature winning book)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fateless

P.s.: Thanks, Xenophon!
Old 06-09-2009, 11:07 PM   #38
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
I will list the books whose complete reading was mandatory for everyone in my English classes during my own education as a student in an American public school. Or at least, I think they were. My memory is a bit foggy.

William Shakespeare: Romeo & Juliet, Othello, Julius Caesar, and Hamlet.
Mary Shelley: Frankenstein.
Lois Lowry: The Giver.
Truman Capote: In Cold Blood.
Paulo Coelho: The Alchemist.
Elie Wiesel: Night.
Michael Crichton: Jurassic Park.
Oscar Wilde: The Importance of Being Earnest.
Nathaniel Hawthorne: The Scarlet Letter.
Albert Camus: The Stranger.
F. Scott Fitzgerald: The Great Gatsby.
Franz Kafka: The Metamorphosis.
Charles Dickens: Great Expectations and A Tale of Two Cities.
Pat Conroy: The Lords of Discipline.
Arthur Miller: Death of a Salesman.
Aldous Huxley: Brave New world.
William Golding: Lord of the Flies.
Robert Cormier: The Chocolate War

Well, that's all I can remember. We read some books incompletely, such as Geoffrey Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales, Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking-Glass, and Joan Didion's Slouching Towards Bethlehem. An optional AP Psychology book was Equus by Peter Shaffer. Alexandre Dumas's The Count of Monte Cristo was mandatory in French II. George Orwell's Animal Farm and John Milton's Paradise Lost were optional books in AP Literature. Alex Flinn's Breathing Underwater was optional for a book club (and extra credit). Robert Louis Stevenson's Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde was optional for another extra credit opportunity involving a stupid school contest. I had to read Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz & Guildernstern Are Dead for my research paper. We had to read Flight to Freedom by Ana Veciana-Suarez in Honors World History (a communist friend of mine complained to the teacher that the book went against his beliefs, lol). When we finished we had to read another book; I choose Stephen Crane's The Red Badge of Courage (my aforementioned friend choose Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler and scared the crap out of the teacher in the process). In AP European History, we had to choose a book from a list for the final; I choose Franklin Foer's How Soccer Explains the World. Same deal for AP U.S. Government; I choose Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point.

In addition, I recommend the following books as being on the same classic/must-read class as the best of the above.

Homer: The Iliad and The Odyssey.
George Orwell: 1984.
Mark Twain: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote