Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #31
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by marytg View Post
Embedding fonts in an epub seems to increase the file size greatly but if that's what we have to do to properly display non-English characters, so be it.
Or use a reader that lets you choose your own font, like Bookeen's Cybooks.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:00 PM   #32
LaurelRusswurm
self publishing novelist
LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.

Device: none
As a wet-behind-the-ears self publisher, I am curious what kind of size limitations do ereaders have if a 40mb embedded font is considered to be too large?
LaurelRusswurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 07:35 PM   #33
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
40mb file? I don't think there are limits...maybe tough for people to download though
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:43 PM   #34
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
To say nothing of expecting the ereader to open the font. Just out of curiosity, which font do you have in mind? A link to its description is good enough... I thought the Chinese fonts I'd seen were only 4 MB or so.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:41 AM   #35
LaurelRusswurm
self publishing novelist
LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.

Device: none
I know I want to embed fonts when I publish, but before I do I want to have an idea what is reasonable. I don't want to overload readers, for instance, so I was just pulling numbers from this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marytg View Post
...This is what an Adobe staff person said about embedding UNICODE glyphs in ADE. It seems they feel the same about Cyrillic fonts:
"Full Unicode font support for all glyphs would bloat the Digital Editions download from ~6Mb to around 32 to 40 Mb. "... .
So I just went and looked at some numbers. The Font I will for sure be using just for the title is a free font called Rebel Caps which I am lucky to have in OpenType Format at 29.8kb I also have the TrueType font, which is much larger, weighing in at 87.7 kb. [http://www.dafont.com/rebel-caps.font]

The others I'd use are:

Play 167.1 kb
Goudy Bookletter 1911 39.1kb
Gentium (regular) 266.1 kb
(italic) + 259.9 kb

But I'm still figuring things out, and haven't decided for sure.
[And now I have to go write a murder to kick off my 2011 NaNoWriMo mystery.]
LaurelRusswurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2011, 03:16 AM   #36
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Wow, ok, you said MB and not kb in the original post...no you'll be fine...Although as a rules I wouldn't embed any font at all
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:53 AM   #37
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I agree, only add fonts when it really add things and not for the body.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:16 AM   #38
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I didn't try with embedded fonts, but my Orizon apparently does not use Arial Unicode (23 MB) or Code 2000 (8 MB). The largest font I have installed is Charis SIL (1.6 MB per weight and style), and I believe it works right.

I don't know how much RAM the Orizon has, but the Gen3 has 32MB, so I doubt it can use a 40MB font.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote