Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
xarses
xarses began at the beginning.

Device: looking
Looking for small wireless device w/SSH

I'm looking to get a reader. Mostly for tech docs (random PDF) and manuals and possibly books from Safari. I've also been asked by my employer to find a device that I could ssh from to help with technical issues while remote. So it also needs to be small enough that it would be reasonable for me keep with me all the time.

Laundry List:
  • 3G and/or WiFi
  • SSH
  • resonable qwerty keyboard
  • application extensable
  • reads common PDF
  • Can read PDFs from Safari
  • More portable than a laptop but bigger screen than a G-Phone / Droid

I've looked at the kindle, Knook, and Sony reader so far they look like they will handle most of my requests except for SSH which is nearly critical (that way i don't have to pay for the device). The Knook looks promising in that its running android but it doesn't look like any one has broken it out so that SSH and ability to load other apps is open.

I'm open to devices that are portable as well but can double as a reader. Any feedback is appreciated.

~X
xarses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
One possibility is the Spring Design Alex, which is similar to the Nook but with a larger LCD screen and a fuller Android experience. I don't know that it can SSH, but I assume it can. See Alex Reader details divulged.

There are likely to be other 5"-9" Android devices, the Archos 5 Internet Tablet is perhaps the first (and there will soon be a 7" version) and the similar Dell Mini 5 may be introduced next week. So far, these are all slates, without a hardware keyboard.

The Other Devices forum has threads about some other small slates, typically running Linux. One good example is the Smart Q7.

There are also small Windows slates, notably the Archos 9 and the Viliv X70 EX, and small Windows convertible tablets (with a keyboard) like the Viliv S7 or the Asus EEE T91MT.

If keyboard input is important, then the T91MT might be your best bet. See for example Looking for recommendations.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Xarses.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
What about the PocketBook 302 ? It would fit too
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
The Archos 9 fits the bill (runs Microsoft Windows). The Apple iPad also. The Entourage eDGe will probably do as well.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
xarses
xarses began at the beginning.

Device: looking
Thanks for the recommendations. I was able to look at the Archos 5 and 9 and don't feel that they will fit well. The Alex looks promising, especially since they tout exposing the development toolkit.

The T91MT looks nice, but I'm worried about the memory in the shipping model, the battery isn't replaceable and I don't see intrgrated 3G/CDMA/4G options, or open comments about Linux support which are all important to me in a Netbook. It's also a tad on the large size, I'd prefer to stay under 7".

Apple products make me want to gag so I'll skip looking at them. I'll continue to look at the other products mentioned.

~X
xarses is offline   Reply With Quote