Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
R22
R22 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.R22 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.R22 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.R22 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.R22 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.R22 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.R22 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.R22 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.R22 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.R22 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.R22 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Displaying Position Numbers?

I have the cheapest new Kindle and at the bottom it does not display the position numbers. My wife has an older Kindle DX and every page has the position numbers clearly displayed.

I figured there would be an easy "setting" to turn on the position numbers, but I could not find it. Is there a way for the small kindle to always display position numbers? Thanks.
R22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

You'll see the location numbers if you press the "menu" button. There is no way, that I know of, to keep the numbers displayed all the time. They changed the behavior because you now see page numbers, in addition to location numbers, and I guess it was determined that it made the screen too busy.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Unfortunately, this is a case of where change sucks.

It used to show the numbers at the bottom of the screen, but people whined about not having real page numbers. So when they added those, they took out the location numbers at the bottom of the screen.

Never mind it was actually extremely helpful.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Unfortunately very few Kindle books actually are enabled to display page numbers, so that makes it doubly frustrating. I wish the K3 would at least always show the percentage read and progress bar at the bottom of the screen. They could make that an option for those who whined about it taking up space and then they could find something else to whine about.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I wish the K3 would at least always show the percentage read and progress bar at the bottom of the screen.
???

My K3, purchased last November, always shows the percentage read and progress bar when a book is open. Yours doesn't?
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2011, 11:07 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
mine too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
???

My K3, purchased last November, always shows the percentage read and progress bar when a book is open. Yours doesn't?
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:22 AM   #7
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Unfortunately, this is a case of where change sucks.

It used to show the numbers at the bottom of the screen, but people whined about not having real page numbers. So when they added those, they took out the location numbers at the bottom of the screen.

Never mind it was actually extremely helpful.
Agreed. I like having the page number or the location numbers at the bottom of the page. I also miss having the title of the book at the top. Those are 2 changes from my K2 to K3 that I really don't like. At the very least, I wish Amazon would let the customer decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden
I wish the K3 would at least always show the percentage read and progress bar at the bottom of the screen.
Like others, my K3 always does this.

Last edited by ucfgrad93; 08-24-2011 at 12:26 AM.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I like the progress bar, I wish there was an option to always display page numbers without having to press the menu button. I'm glad they did away with the book title at the top of every page, though. More screen real estate for reading that way, and the bar at the top makes it look more like a computer program than a book.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
???

That's because you haven't updated to firmware version 3.1.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #10
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm running 3.1 and it always shows the percentage and the progress bar.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I'm running 3.1 and it always shows the percentage and the progress bar.
Yes, it does. What it doesn't show is the position (or page) number; that's now only shown if you press the "Menu" key. In previous firmware versions, it was always visible.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #12
ucfgrad93
Wizard

Either you misquoted someone HarryT or I'm just dense.

jswinden said that he wished that his K3 would show the progress bar and percentage read all of the time like it did in the K2.

DreamWriter responded and said that his K3 did show the progress bar and percentage read all of the time.

You quoted DreamWriter and said that it was because he hadn't upgraded to firmware 3.1. Was this response meant for jswinden who said he didn't have the percentage and progress bar?
Old 08-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Either you misquoted someone HarryT or I'm just dense.

jswinden said that he wished that his K3 would show the progress bar and percentage read all of the time like it did in the K2.

DreamWriter responded and said that his K3 did show the progress bar and percentage read all of the time.

You quoted DreamWriter and said that it was because he hadn't upgraded to firmware 3.1. Was this response meant for jswinden who said he didn't have the percentage and progress bar?
No, it indicates that I misread the post and thought that he said that his Kindle was always showing position numbers .
Old 08-24-2011, 11:19 AM   #14
ucfgrad93
Wizard

Ok, thanks for the clarification.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #15
R22
R22 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.R22 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.R22 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.R22 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.R22 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.R22 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.R22 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.R22 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.R22 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.R22 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.R22 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Wow... OK, mine shows the Progress bar and percentage only. No page number, and no position number.

However, as best I can tell, there is no way to make it "jump to" a certain percentage. Instead, if you want to go directly to a certain part of a book, you need to enter either a page number or position number. So showing the percentage is not helpful in this sense.

This comes up if two people are reading the same book. When one finishes reading, they have to remember where they are - in case the other person wants to read from a different position. If the position numbers are displayed, it is easier to remember where you are. Jeez, I'll even take the page numbers but on my kindle, neither is displayed...
R22 is offline   Reply With Quote