Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-20-2024, 01:12 PM   #1
DaggerDave
DaggerDave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Calibre Freezes When Installing DeDRM

Hello,

I am glad to find MobileRead forums and possibly some help.

I read about DeDRM and wanted to give it a try. Today I downloaded DeDRM_tools_10.0.9.zip from here, unzipped the archive, and pointed the Load plugin from file function of Calibre 7.5.1 to the extracted file DeDRM_plugin.zip.

At this point, Calibre locks up. Killing the locked up Calibre process and restarting the application confirms that the plugin has not been installed.

I have tried reinstalling Calibre, and have whitelisted calibre.exe and DeDRM_plugin.zip in my antimalware app, to no avail. The problem continues.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any ideas on how to fix the problem?

Are there any possible workarounds? For example, is it somehow possible to manually install a plugin in Calibre without using the Load plugin from file feature?
DaggerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 04:56 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Load plugin from file is the manual way, AFAIK there's no command line way to install substantial plugins such as SeDRM.

Which version of Windows?

Where is DRM_plugin.zip - try moving it to somewhere like C:\MyStuff.

Also try booting into Safe mode, and then trying the install.

I've not seen any similar reports for installing this or any other plugin manually.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2024, 05:09 PM   #3
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Actually, it is possible to install the plugin using the command line:

Code:
calibre-customize -a DeDRM_plugin.zip
P.S.: If the terminal isn't launched from the plugin folder, then you need to use the full path.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 06:43 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I confess to having never looked in calibre-customize.

I checked calibre-debug, saw its --add-simple-plugin….

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:28 AM   #5
DaggerDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Which version of Windows?
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro, Version 10.0.22635 Build 22635

Quote:
Where is DRM_plugin.zip - try moving it to somewhere like C:\MyStuff.

Also try booting into Safe mode, and then trying the install.
Good ideas, thanks.

DRM_plugin.zip was initially in a folder in one of my data partitions. I moved it to C:\temp. The misbehaviour was unchanged.

Ditto when I tried installing in Safe mode.
Advert
Old 02-21-2024, 09:59 AM   #6
DaggerDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
Actually, it is possible to install the plugin using the command line:

Code:
calibre-customize -a DeDRM_plugin.zip
Bravo! Success!

Thank you!

Not only did that work immediately, the responding output to the command may point to the cause of my problem. See the attached screenshot.

While it's not entirely clear to me which installed plugin or plugins are tied to the components which failed to initialize, I see four that download covers: Amazon.com (1.3.7), Big Book Search (1.0.1), Google (1.1.1), and Open Library (1.0.0). If I experience any further issues I will work to narrow down the suspects.

- David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-02-21_09-06-49.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	206487  
Old 02-21-2024, 10:33 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaggerDave View Post
Bravo! Success!

Thank you!

Not only did that work immediately, the responding output to the command may point to the cause of my problem. See the attached screenshot.

While it's not entirely clear to me which installed plugin or plugins are tied to the components which failed to initialize, I see four that download covers: Amazon.com (1.3.7), Big Book Search (1.0.1), Google (1.1.1), and Open Library (1.0.0). If I experience any further issues I will work to narrow down the suspects.

- David
I would remove the plugins related to Kindle cover. Looks like there are two of them. Then you can try to reinstall them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre 7.51, dedrm, dedrm 10.0.9, plugin