Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-03-2021, 05:20 AM   #1
abaruffo
abaruffo has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!abaruffo has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!abaruffo has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!abaruffo has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!abaruffo has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!abaruffo has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!abaruffo has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!abaruffo has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!abaruffo has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!abaruffo has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!abaruffo has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: windows 10 PC
Calibre not starting in Win 10

Hello all,

I'm an occasional Calibre user. I read (mostly) epub's in my Win 10 laptop. A few weeks ago, Calibre stopped working: it simply doesn't start without any error or warning.
I've tried to remove/reinstall various versions, 32 and 64 bits, but without success.
I also "whitelisted" the Calibre executable in my antivirus (F-secure), but again, with no luck.

Following the FAQ "calibre is not starting on Windows?", I tried running Calibre as Administrator: nothing.
Finally, I'm asking you fore help.
Here is the output of "calibre-debug -g"

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2>.\calibre-debug.exe -g
calibre 5.8.1  embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-10-10.0.19041 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19041')
Python 3.8.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19041', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Turning on automatic hidpi scaling
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
abaruffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:54 AM   #2
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
Reboot Windows into safe mode and see if it runs there.

If it does then some process is causing issues in normal mode.
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2021, 06:11 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
according to that its running, its probably just offscreen/on a different monitor.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:39 AM   #4
abaruffo
abaruffo has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!abaruffo has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!abaruffo has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!abaruffo has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!abaruffo has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!abaruffo has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!abaruffo has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!abaruffo has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!abaruffo has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!abaruffo has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!abaruffo has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
according to that its running, its probably just offscreen/on a different monitor.
Thanks for the reply.
No, Calibre is not running. I checked with Task Manager and it's not there. It briefly appears during startup and then goes away.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:40 AM   #5
abaruffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemk View Post
Reboot Windows into safe mode and see if it runs there.

If it does then some process is causing issues in normal mode.
Thanks for the hint. Indeed Calibre runs in safe mode.
Any suggestion on how to identify the conflicting process?
Advert
Old 01-03-2021, 09:24 AM   #6
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

99 times out of a hundred it is the anti virus software. You need to disable F-Secure and then try again.
I know you said you told F-secure about 1 of the many calibre exes but please try this. calibre is more than just 1 single executable and needs access to many things in its installation directory and its subdirectories.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:47 AM   #7
abaruffo

There is no single "On/Off" switch for F-Secure. However, I disabled as many "features" as possible: still no visible change.
I disabled a lot of other services (e.g. one drive) and exited almost all programs (just kept Firefox to post on this forum). Again, no luck.
Thank you very much @georgemk, @kovidogyal for your help .
I will probably give up now.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #8
georgemk
Addict

Can you just tell F-Secure to ignore the whole Calibre installation directory and its sub-directories?
https://help.f-secure.com/product.ht...818F-latest-en

Last edited by georgemk; 01-03-2021 at 10:18 AM. Reason: add link to f-secure help
Old 01-03-2021, 11:09 AM   #9
abaruffo

Yes, thanks for the suggestion. I forgot to tell (sorry), but I already tried that.
Now, I tried again adding to the "exclusion list" some sub dirs of the installation directory (app, app\bin, app\plugins, etc). Still no luck.
Honestly, I would have expected to get a message from the AV if it was blocking anything. Also, the "quarantined" and "blocked" files lists are empty.
Finally, removing all Calibre dirs from the "exclusion list" and performing a manual AV scan turns up nothing (298 items scanned, not harmful items found).
Looks like Calibre is clean for F-secure.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:14 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that Calibre runs in safe mode, go to Taskmanager and then the Start-up tab and turn everything off from running. After a reboot, if Calibre works, activate one, reboot, and try Calibre again. Keep doing this until Calibre stops working. Then you'll know what's causing Calibre to stop running.

However if after you've disabled all in Start-up and Calibre doesn't run, it could be some service installed along with some program.

Another thing to try if you cannot find what the problem is is to uninstall your AV because some AV needs to be gone (uninstalled) to stop it's shenanigans.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-03-2021 at 11:19 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:16 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaruffo View Post
Thanks for the hint. Indeed Calibre runs in safe mode.
Any suggestion on how to identify the conflicting process?
Look at the system event logs, if those are not illuminating (which is quite likely) you are left with the good old, disable one service, reboot, test, repeat cycle.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:48 AM   #12
abaruffo

@kovidgoyal: had a look at event logs, found nothing illuminating (not even relevant...)
@JSWolf: disabled all entries in Task Manager's "Startup" tab, but Calibre still doesn't start.
Thanks for your advice.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:09 PM   #13
abaruffo

Got a clue.
Most of the time, I connect my laptop to an USB-C docking station, hooking up a wireless keyboard/mouse and two screen.
If I detach the docking, Calibre starts. If I re-connect the docking, it keeps running. If I exit Calibre while still docked and re-start it, it doesn't work.
So, nothing to do with safe mode, AV or conflicting processes, it's the docking.
Maybe this has to do with the last message before exiting "Turning on automatic hidpi scaling"?

Note that I work this way since many years and Calibre used to work OK. Maybe something has changed in the drivers.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:01 PM   #14
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaruffo View Post
Got a clue.
Most of the time, I connect my laptop to an USB-C docking station, hooking up a wireless keyboard/mouse and two screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post

So does calibre NOT start up when you're hooked up to the docking station as well?
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:36 PM   #15
abaruffo

Problem solved.

I visited my laptop vendor site and found an update for the dock driver (it didn't show up in Windows update), installed it, and now Calibre is back up and running also when the laptop is docked.

Thank you all for providing suggestions which eventually led to the right track,

Tags
docking station, driver, solved, windows 10