Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-07-2014, 03:02 AM   #46
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Half the work of what?
If someone decided to create a plugin to load the Beyond the Book data into a Kobo. The xray plugin is already collecting the data. That makes it is a "simple" matter of formatting it properly. I'm trying to resist the temptation.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:23 AM   #47
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If someone decided to create a plugin to load the Beyond the Book data into a Kobo. The xray plugin is already collecting the data. That makes it is a "simple" matter of formatting it properly. I'm trying to resist the temptation.
Good luck!

(I get the impression chaley is not the only one with self-control issues. )
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2014, 05:42 AM   #48
customer
customer began at the beginning.

Device: imcoV6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Thanks for the link. That device runs a really old version of Android. I'd be leery about buying it as it won't support newer apps.
ImCoSys show next book fair in Frankfurt (Germany) the updated Reader "imcoV6Lpro" with Android 4.x and 512 MB RAM too and this newer Reader Support newer apps.
customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #49
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If you jailbreak the Kindle, you can't install updates without undoing the jailbreak. Obviously, the code is no longer the same, so an update won't work.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #50
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
If you jailbreak the Kindle, you can't install updates without undoing the jailbreak. Obviously, the code is no longer the same, so an update won't work.
Not really sure what to say about this, except:
  1. You're wrong.
  2. Read the FAQ, don't make things up.
  3. Not only can you still update, (which is the expected outcome when jailbreaking a device, so this isn't magically new Kindle-only stuff,) the update doesn't even wreck the jailbreak.
Advert
Old 09-22-2014, 01:22 AM   #51
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Not really sure what to say about this, except:
  1. You're wrong.
  2. Read the FAQ, don't make things up.
  3. Not only can you still update, (which is the expected outcome when jailbreaking a device, so this isn't magically new Kindle-only stuff,) the update doesn't even wreck the jailbreak.
Interesting. The devices I've jailbroken or rooted have been Apple iOS (jailbreak) or Google Android (root). After updating, the best outcome was being able to use the same jailbreak/root exploit after the update. The more common result was having to wait until an update of the jailbreak/root code was released to work with the new update.

The only Kindle I saw that was jailbroken had it's bridge(?) surviving an update but the jailbreak could not be installed after the update (5.3.6?). It's been a while and I'm not a Kindle owner.

Last edited by DNSB; 09-22-2014 at 01:28 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #52
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

On the Kindle, /var/local/system/fixup is not overwritten by an update, and is sourced at boot. (As an emergency just-in-case Lab126 ever needs to use it I guess.) The bridge is that file. I don't know why Amazon doesn't work harder to invalidate jailbreaks, but I am happy.

Recent updates have fixed a longstanding exploit which allowed the original jailbreak. fw >= 5.4.5

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-22-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #53
dkgmunich
dkgmunich began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
I have been engaged in various tasks since I last asked here.
Never got a chance to update and say thanks for all the questions answered.
Sorry for the delay.
Finally I had purchased the kindle paperwhite 2.
So far experience has been good.
Although I have not yet rooted it, but one of these days
Meanwhile have kept the wifi off for avoiding the Big Brother.

Regards,
dkgmunich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:07 PM   #54
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Make sure you jailbreak before turning on WiFi, because the latest firmware updates (fw5.6.x) for the PW2 can only be jailbroken by prying open the case and manually running the jailbreak scripts from a serial console.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:41 AM   #55
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
As he bought recently, it probably came with the latest FW.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:28 AM   #56
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
As he bought recently, it probably came with the latest FW.
The OP has just now posted for the first time since September of last year, and did not specify when during that time period he bought his PW2.

Given that eight month time period, I have to congratulate you on successfully bringing your crystal ball back online.
Also, can I borrow it -- would come in handy trying to provide hacking support on little to no user-supplied info, as numerous knc1 replies indicate.

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-03-2015 at 11:31 AM.