Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-01-2014, 11:04 PM   #16
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Does it actually HAVE to be e-ink? I'm old, I need e-ink for a reader because I have vision problems but if I were younger (and since you're a student I assume you're under 30), I'd have no problem reading off my Nexus 7. It's heavier but more ergonomic than my Sony T1 and it handles PDFs MUCH better.

It can also do a lot more and it seems that it, or maybe some other small tablet, might meet your needs better and be more flexible.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:21 AM   #17
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I too am under 30. E-ink is infinitely preferable, and it has nothing to do with vision problems.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2014, 12:31 AM   #18
customer
customer began at the beginning.

Device: imcoV6L
I'm using for PDFs and EPUBs the imcoV6L from ImCoSys (www.imcosys.com) and I haven't problems with this Reader - before I had Sony but when I compare PDF-reading between Sony (PRS-T3) and my new imcoV6L then I prefer my new Reader.
customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #19
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I too am under 30. E-ink is infinitely preferable, and it has nothing to do with vision problems.
May I ask why you think so?
Old 09-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #20
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgmunich View Post
Thank you all for the comments.

Anthem:
You mentioned Kobo is not the best device for pdf. Is Onyx better than Kobo?
As regarding translations its good tool. But again single word dictionary would also be helpful. Though I have to agree I did find tolino visions dictionary good.
Somewhere it is already mentioned sony has by far one of the best offline dictionaries, but adding free dictionaries for missing laguages to it is next to impossible. Or did I get this wrong?
Also they also have fairly good pdf support.
I haven't found an e-ink e-reader that could really be called "good" at working with PDFs. Large Tablets are really the best for PDF if you want a mobile device, but your mileage will vary. Something in the range of at least 9" in screen size.

For translations, again, a tablet will give you the most access to useful tools.

I am unimpressed with the Onyx software in general. Kobo makes better devices, generally.

I only ever had a PRS-350 from Sony, and it was terrible for PDFs. Better than Kobo, but far worse than the Kindle, and none of them are "good".

For working with PDFs, while still having a mobile reading device and not a laptop, there really isn't anything better than a large tablet. That's just the way it is right now.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #21
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by customer View Post
I'm using for PDFs and EPUBs the imcoV6L from ImCoSys (www.imcosys.com) and I haven't problems with this Reader - before I had Sony but when I compare PDF-reading between Sony (PRS-T3) and my new imcoV6L then I prefer my new Reader.
Thanks for the link. That device runs a really old version of Android. I'd be leery about buying it as it won't support newer apps.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #22
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
May I ask why you think so?
For one thing, I like reading outside. This is pretty much impossible with an LCD screen due to the glare.

I also like having a dedicated reader, without any non-book stuff cluttering up the GUI. Dedicate ereader = e-ink.

Also, the battery life is much better. While I could charge a tablet every day, it's nice not to have to.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #23
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
I would not buy anything from ereader-store.de again, have you read their refund policy?
...basically if you find a defect after one day of usage, you can no longer return it.
That's against European law! Their T&Cs may say so, but they never would succeed if a customer would escalate.
And btw: Their argumentation doesn't make any sense at all. One easily could send an email right after receiving the package, claiming some ominous crashes or other hard to find faults. Then one could send it back one week later, referring to the fault (which isn't even necessary, one can send back without any kind of explanation) even if the reason for returning might be something entirely different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
And they don't refund postage cost...
That's the new situation in Europe. Personally, I can accept that. The product may not fulfill the customer's needs. But the merchant shipped as promised, so the customer should accept to bare those costs. Of course, if you ship internationally, each case like that is sheer horror: You've paid customs fees and taxes, which you can't have refunded. You have to bare the shipment costs (back and forth), so for some standard order you easily might end up with costs of € 50+, without having anything to show for it. That's the risk in our not-so-global economy...
BTW: The European law would allow differently, but in my experience merchants don't make use of it. You usually get a full refund and a label for free shipment of the product back to the merchant. For international shipments they might be more rigid, though...

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-03-2014 at 05:15 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #24
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You mean "bear" the shipment cost, not "bare".
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:57 AM   #25
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You mean "bear" the shipment cost, not "bare".
Both seems to be correct? http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/bare+the+cost
Old 09-03-2014, 05:46 AM   #26
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
No, not really. If you look further (say at this, it really is 'to bear the cost'. 'They bare the cost' could potentially be an archaic version of 'they bore the cost' (past tense), but nowadays, I'd just call it wrong.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #27
dkgmunich
dkgmunich began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
Hello All,

As suggested by Anthem that I may want to consider Kindle. Well I dug once more into the whole review thing. Yes I do agree that kindle seems good value for money.
Just that amazons big brother attitude is what I don't like.
So I actually also parsed through the jail breaking section for kindle.
What I have understood is once I jail break I can break away from amazon 100% and install updates via USB.
But if I don't then amazon servers will have full control over the device, including any browsing, location and any side books I load on to the device, and not just the ones I purchase via amazon. I understand is they want to have their cloud storage as primary and hence have a mirror of my data on their servers.

Am I correct in my understanding?

Thanks & Regards,
-Dhiraj
dkgmunich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #28
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
That's against European law! Their T&Cs may say so, but they never would succeed if a customer would escalate.

That's the new situation in Europe. Personally, I can accept that. The product may not fulfill the customer's needs. But the merchant shipped as promised, so the customer should accept to bare those costs. Of course, if you ship internationally, each case like that is sheer horror: You've paid customs fees and taxes, which you can't have refunded. You have to bare the shipment costs (back and forth), so for some standard order you easily might end up with costs of € 50+, without having anything to show for it. That's the risk in our not-so-global economy...
BTW: The European law would allow differently, but in my experience merchants don't make use of it. You usually get a full refund and a label for free shipment of the product back to the merchant. For international shipments they might be more rigid, though...
Does this also apply to defective merchandise?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #29
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Does this also apply to defective merchandise?
No. To my knowledge it only applies for the "I've tested it and don't want it" scenario.
If you return it because of a defect, the merchant still has to cover the costs.

And: Some tricky merchants insist on wanting to send a replacement unit. The customer doesn't have to accept this, he can insist on a full refund.

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-03-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #30
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgmunich View Post
Hello All,

As suggested by Anthem that I may want to consider Kindle. Well I dug once more into the whole review thing. Yes I do agree that kindle seems good value for money.
Just that amazons big brother attitude is what I don't like.
So I actually also parsed through the jail breaking section for kindle.
What I have understood is once I jail break I can break away from amazon 100% and install updates via USB.
But if I don't then amazon servers will have full control over the device, including any browsing, location and any side books I load on to the device, and not just the ones I purchase via amazon. I understand is they want to have their cloud storage as primary and hence have a mirror of my data on their servers.

Am I correct in my understanding?

Thanks & Regards,
-Dhiraj
Just my 2 cents: Paperwhite 2 definitely is a great unit. But in my opinion, it mainly makes sense if you're into the Amazon ecosystem (personally, I love buying from them via 3G wherever I am, not bothering about WiFi or roaming costs).
But if it's about the sole reader, you might be better off to buy one of the ePUB/sideloading optimized ones. You still can buy from Amazon, strip from DRM, convert to ePUB and use on those readers. Kobo for example could be a nice choice then.