Enthusiast
blackxacto began at the beginning.

Device: iMac 10,1, OSX10.9
Newbie - Edit a style to center all

Opened an ebook in Sigil 0.7.4

Selected Styles/Stylesheet.css

I see several styles, example: .calibre1, .calibre11

I see paragraph headings: H1, H2 etc.

What is the difference in the two style types above?

If I want to make a certain subhead always center, do I change the paragraph, or the associated .calibre#? In the sample below, where is the "center" instructions to go?

.calibre11 {
display: block;
font-size: 1.125em;
font-weight: bold;
line-height: 1.2;
margin: 3em 0 1em
}
blackxacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackxacto View Post
Opened an ebook in Sigil 0.7.4

Selected Styles/Stylesheet.css

I see several styles, example: .calibre1, .calibre11

I see paragraph headings: H1, H2 etc.

What is the difference in the two style types above?

If I want to make a certain subhead always center, do I change the paragraph, or the associated .calibre#? In the sample below, where is the "center" instructions to go?

.calibre11 {
}
Add to the style you posted, the following:

Code:
.calibre11 {
    text-align: center;  /* new property to add */
    text-indent: 0;  /* new property to add */
}
After that, all text with the style "calibre11" will be centered.

Regards
Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
CSS uses either the tag names or the class attribute to do its work. Cascading, The C in CSS means it will use the more detailed entry to override the less detailed entry, meaning a class="xxx" attribute will override a tag like h2, or you can also use them together to be even more precise. So the answer is it will work in either the styles or the tags but the effect may end up different. For example if you want all h2 tags to be centered you would do it in the tags but if only some of the tags then use styles.

Note also in xhtml the tags are in lower case.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
blackxacto
Enthusiast

Thank you for your responses. Most helpful.

Is there an "ebooks for dummies" which includes how to edit styles and such? It will have to be the newbie's version.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
blackxacto
Enthusiast

What is the difference in Calibre and Sigil?

I wanted to add my own cover. It was a jpg. Is there a minimum or maximum resolution/dimension for ebooks?

Why did I have to CONVERT a free ebook to Calibre ebook in order to add the jpg cover I had made?
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 01:21 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

I wanted to add my own cover. It was a jpg. Is there a minimum or maximum resolution/dimension for ebooks?
Yes

Quote:
Why did I have to CONVERT a free ebook to Calibre ebook in order to add the jpg cover I had made?
Because you chose the quickest (and dirtiest) method to avoid readin the Calibre Features and FAQ

Polish would have done it without other changes creeping in
Modify EPUB (PI) could have done it

And you can do it with Sigil with a little more effort (and extra control)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:35 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:

Calibre is a library management tool with conversion capabilities, Sigil is an ePUB editor. Different tools, different usages. I avoid Calibre conversions completely, since it will generate a style chaos with all the calibre styles names.

If the free ebook is already and ePUB, you don't need to convert. Just open it in Sigil.

There is a tutorial floating around here, I think in the workshop subforum with a quick introduction to html/css to get you started. I believe it is from Pablo.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You can learn about HTML and CSS at

http://www.w3schools.com

These are general pages on these which are applicable to web pages, and mostly applicable to epubs. There are some things you can do on web pages you can not do on epubs, currently anyway. But the explanations are good and they have a try it section with many things that allows you to try out changing an attribute and see what happens in a window on the same page.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote